Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 05:11 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Pine bark bread was a specialty in Sweden and Finland for centuries. People were using rye flour with the baked and ground inner layer of pine tree bark. The Sami People of Norway, Finland, Sweden and some parts of Russia peel big strips from pine trees in spring and dry them for winter use. The bark was consumed fresh, dried or roasted.
Pines, Slippery Elm, Black Birch, Yellow Birch, Red Spruce, Black Spruce, Balsam Fir, and Tamarack are the trees that can save your life in the forest.

Xylitol is also commercially produced from birch bark and corn cob for use as a sweetener to replace calories from carbohydrates and sugars.
During the siege of Stalingrad, Russians were eating bread made from sawdust to survive too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 05:15 PM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Our goats sure like it.

I think the best survival plan might be to feed the bark to the goat and then eat the goat.

I mean... in a pinch.

Old 05-03-2022, 02:49 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I was surprised by the response to my thread and it was most educational. That Outdoor Revival upload of Elnina's was so, so informative.

Thanks so much for the uploads, I'll share them with others.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:26 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,315,369 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nos7t-beKKE

Old 05-03-2022, 05:34 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was surprised by the response to my thread and it was most educational. That Outdoor Revival upload of Elnina's was so, so informative.

Thanks so much for the uploads, I'll share them with others.
I watched one season of Alone where a guy decided to eat tree bark. IIRC, he got very sick (possibly got a bowel obstruction) because the bark did not digest at all. I am not sure if he ate the inner bark or if the choices available were particularly good choices.

Old 05-03-2022, 05:48 AM

24,553 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
I guess, it could happen here, in the US not long ago. Because...
"A bill introduced in the Oklahoma Legislature (2012) has some folks scratching their heads, as it prohibits "the manufacture or sale of food or products which use aborted human fetuses."

Since the bill was introduced late last week by State Sen. Ralph Shortey, a Republican from Oklahoma City, corners of the Internet have been buzzing with the news, as people try to figure out two things: 1) is this real; and 2) is there any reason the bill might be needed?"

Obviously...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ceral-reaction
Plenty of medical stuff going on the general public will never know about.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:51 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Without considering species, age, health or where it is growing, in general the outer "bark" of a plant is for the plant's protection sort of like our skin. The outer bark would contain few sugars or other nutrients being produced by the plant. However, I suppose if one chewed enough of the still living inner bark you could stay alive in a starvation situation.

But then I'm no nutritionist and have never played one on TV.
Indians used to sue the inner bark of elm trees for medicinal purposes and in time of starving
But like you say—the other bark is more protective than sustaining

Old 05-03-2022, 08:52 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
I guess, it could happen here, in the US not long ago. Because...
"A bill introduced in the Oklahoma Legislature (2012) has some folks scratching their heads, as it prohibits "the manufacture or sale of food or products which use aborted human fetuses."

Since the bill was introduced late last week by State Sen. Ralph Shortey, a Republican from Oklahoma City, corners of the Internet have been buzzing with the news, as people try to figure out two things: 1) is this real; and 2) is there any reason the bill might be needed?"

Obviously...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ceral-reaction
Gene research can use stem cells from fetuses

Old 05-03-2022, 10:18 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I live in rural Maine. I have a number of friends who are members of our local Native Tribe. Before European colonialists arrived here, knowledge of Agriculture had not reached this far North. There is a wonderful exhibit done by Native archeologists at the Mashantucket Pequot museum, https://www.pequotmuseum.org/ that explains the migration of Agriculture across North America.

These Native Peoples were strictly hunter / gatherers.

The primary source of calories in this forest is the beech tree. The inner bark of the beech tree can be shredded, cooked and mashed into a high calorie meal.

Old 05-03-2022, 04:00 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
Ask any farmer what he does with aborted fetus of cow,pigs,he is not throwing them away.
some culture they soak them in wine.
Once South Africa company wants to harvest aborted fetus from women to get the growth hormone,I dont know what happens later/
In some cultures,they eat the fertilsed chicken eggs with the fetus inside,they do it Philipine and Vietnam,once I bought some not knowing they are fertilised in a Vietnamese supermarket,I boiled them and there is a dead chick inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness