U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2022, 04:33 PM

17,997 posts, read 9,583,634 times

Advertisements

As previously mentioned, I'll hit the Big Lots and other stores to see what they have in great deals or the like.

How do people approach tins on food, meat, that they have never seen before? Buy one or two to test it out and if it is good, come back for more? Or buy as many as you can because you don't know when you will get back? If, once opened, it turns out be garbage, well, save it for the stock to hand out to passing refugees?

What's the line of thinking on such?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2022, 04:52 PM

6,635 posts, read 7,700,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
As previously mentioned, I'll hit the Big Lots and other stores to see what they have in great deals or the like.

How do people approach tins on food, meat, that they have never seen before? Buy one or two to test it out and if it is good, come back for more? Or buy as many as you can because you don't know when you will get back? If, once opened, it turns out be garbage, well, save it for the stock to hand out to passing refugees?

What's the line of thinking on such?
Love Big Lots! Some weird brands, but usually not bad, except the potato chips, tried and steer clear.
That store does have name brands too, sometimes. You never know what you'll find, which is part of the fun!

I recently found some canned beef in gravy. Comes from Brazil and I'm not going to try to spell the company name in Portuguese, but it's actually really good!
Big 12 oz cans for 95 cents each, so there's a few cans in the pantry JIC.

I usually try 1 can or box or whatever, then if it's good, go back and get more.

Old 05-29-2022, 06:11 PM

3,564 posts, read 3,563,530 times
Some of the foreign foods are the best. Often I'll read the ingredients and it's just whole food inputs, not like the USA food where the ingredient list reads like the product should come with MSDS documentation.

Old 05-29-2022, 09:47 PM

3,828 posts, read 3,769,820 times
Big Lots is great place to stock up on certain types of things especially if you optimize the loyalty program. They consistently have great coupons and 20 percent off of everything 'days' or weekends. Beware you will be inundated with emails you will need to wade through to find the ones of value to you.

I did notice they started a trial items of deep discount by day of the week, although, this will probably only be worthwhile if you live close enough to a location. Certain snack foods (nuts, crackers, popcorn) I get there as well as personal consumables (toothpaste/ deodorant / paper products/ cleaning products). As terracore mentioned, most Big Lots foreign foods section is another plus for those seeking quality imported items.

Big Lots in our region recently inflated pricing on many of the canned foods and I find better deals elsewhere, but it is always good to peruse the stores (especially if you have multiple locations fairly close). Staples like Rice, vinegar, olive oil, and spices are consistently good deals in our area. One of the stores about 35 minute drive away has a much better selection and more square feet. My rule of thumb for canned foodstuffs is to get a sample and make note of whether the product shows up in their stores fairly regularly, so that next time I see it, I buy a larger amount if I have the discount specials. It also will depend - obviously - on use by dates.

They tend to have canned food items with near use by dates. Things like tuna / sardines will keep very well unless the production packaging process was faulty. Other perishable sensitive items, I avoid unless I know I will be using soon. Dry storage food items can last well if stored well. Unless it is something I regularly buy as part of canned stored foodstuffs, I will avoid.

Our area is fortunate in that we have another closeout based retailer, Ollie's, in which I often find the same items sold in Big Lots (snacks like nuts, crackers and jerky). Interestingly the Big Lots will still have better pricing (with loyalty discount) but the Ollie's has a lot more home (kitchen/auto/bedroom / flooring/ lighting/ hardware) type items and of better quality.

Also have a deep discount grocery store chain [Marc's] that is known for their closeout section. You never know what you may find as it has high turnover. Over the years I've gotten everything from white oxford dress shirts and high quality hiking socks to PB Blaster Silicon spray, inexpensive cleaning products (and in larger volume refill sizes), batteries, bedding / area rugs etc... 40-60 percent less than other big box retailers.

Aldi's has better regular prices on most canned goods (beans/ vegetables/ chili / tuna / herring) certain nuts like sunflower seeds and chocolate (Moser Roth). The Aldi specials area (non grocery) is not large, but I have found great deals on things like high quality men's belts, socks, stainless steel stock pot, car seat cover, wheeled collapsible cart etc... there is limited inventory, as their allocation of shelf space is small per store footprint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness