Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 11:04 PM

10,819 posts, read 7,184,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Many people love it.
Many people love fast food. Doesn't make it good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 10:35 AM

51,573 posts, read 25,482,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Thanks for all the information and suggestions. I mostly just want a spot I can goto anytime thats mine only for when I want to sleep/live for when things get tough or just to get away. I know there are plenty of BLM spots , but when you find a good spot it's not guaranteed you'll always have that same spot or area to go to as it could be taken by someone else.

I don't really plan to build a big off grid area with animals and a well etc. The areas I was initially looking at were in the high desert of AZ around Williams, Camp Verde, somewhere not too far from the highway (maybe 15 minutes or so) . I am open to other parts of the country . Southern Oregon , Northern CA , Northwest NV , but nowhere east of AZ/ (draw a line at the east AZ border up and down the country).

I might have better luck buying from someone else privately.
If you want a place to get away to, and for when things get tough, you absolutely need a place with a reliable source of water.

Paying for water to be delivered by the gallon might work if you could be assured that this will always be available, even in tough times, and that you will always have the money to pay.

If not, look for a place where water is not an issue. There are places like that in northern Arizona.

I would recommend you start by camping around and seeing what affordable areas suit you, then start talking to the local folks and see what's what.

I would also recommend you see if what you could do to earn enough money to buy a more desirable piece of property. From time to time, some are willing to sell for cash at a quite reasonable price.

Old 03-10-2023, 12:08 PM

4,161 posts, read 2,520,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Many people love it.
I've watched umpteen videos on the place, and every one looks like a bomb went off there. Ugly, and desolate with trashed out places people are living in. I would suggest the OP go to yt, and watch videos on it. The OP wants to hike, and that place is NOT it. Go to his profile, and see the photo where he has been, and then compare that to slab city which is blech at best, and dangerous at worst.

But then different strokes for different folks. Here are the search results for slab city so people can see what a squatter's paradise looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=slab+city

------------------------------------

Old 03-10-2023, 12:47 PM

2,987 posts, read 1,952,223 times
If you buy 1 acre undeveloped land with no utilities available (water) it will be almost impossible to sell it in the future if you move or want a larger property with more features later.

IMO you'd be better off to use your time to save more money and look around while traveling and see if someone has a property with water you can afford or they will self-finance purchase for you. Water is life, it's a big deal. You can't grow food without access to water, YOU need water daily to drink, wash.

Maybe an older owner of several acres that has a good well would sell you an acre if you pay the cost of getting it divided.
Talk to people in small towns, look at bulletin boards, the post office people in a small town know a lot about who lives there.

Old 03-10-2023, 01:04 PM

2,517 posts, read 3,058,692 times
The OP writes:
“I know there are plenty of BLM spots…”
What does BLM mean in this context?

Old 03-10-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
The OP writes:
Bureau of Land Management

Old 03-10-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
If you buy 1 acre undeveloped land with no utilities available (water) it will be almost impossible to sell it in the future if you move or want a larger property with more features later.

IMO you'd be better off to use your time to save more money and look around while traveling and see if someone has a property with water you can afford or they will self-finance purchase for you. Water is life, it's a big deal. You can't grow food without access to water, YOU need water daily to drink, wash.

Maybe an older owner of several acres that has a good well would sell you an acre if you pay the cost of getting it divided.
Talk to people in small towns, look at bulletin boards, the post office people in a small town know a lot about who lives there.

Old 03-10-2023, 01:55 PM

10,819 posts, read 7,184,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
The OP writes:
The Bureau of Land Management allows free camping on public lands; it's called "Dispersed Camping". I think there is a limit on how long you can stay at a site, but I don't know how strictly it is enforced. Usually, there are no amenities like bathrooms, running water, power, or paved parking areas.

Many people spend months on end camping free, in tents, RVs, cars, whatever.

Old 03-10-2023, 01:58 PM

639 posts, read 363,190 times
Not in the desert. I'd only do it someplace arable.

Old 03-10-2023, 09:33 PM

23,390 posts, read 13,645,751 times
Sure thing.....if you live in Texas. You need at least 5 acres to be able to pump groundwater unlimited, at least 10 to be able to shoot on your land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness