Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 07:43 PM

110 posts, read 90,856 times

Advertisements

Not necessarily how to books or movies but fictional stories about a neighborhood or household knowing something (invasion primarily) is coming and it shows the people preparing and getting ready for said situation? I've always strangely enough been into these types of stories....I remember in the early 90s a school textbook had a neighborhood knowing an alien invasion was coming and it showed them getting ready...would love to find out what that story was. None the less, anything come to mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 11:35 PM

650 posts, read 689,019 times
I know you asked for recomendations for fictional stories about neighborhoods preparing for an invasion or something. But, I am going to suggest a really good fictional book series where some neighbors were preppers and an EMP happened. The author is a survivalist and he puts in lots of ideas that people should probably consider having. Its the "Going Home" series by A.American.
https://www.mostrecommendedbooks.com...books-in-order
You can google it to see if you would be interested in something like that. I did not really explain it too well about what the series is about.

Last edited by beckerd2; 05-28-2023 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: abc

Old 05-30-2023, 10:09 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,261,164 times
I have read all of the 'Going Home' series. They are very, very good.

Old 06-04-2023, 08:10 AM

5,369 posts, read 3,550,902 times
I dont base my survival on fiction, books, movies or anything else.
I deal in fact not make believe.

Old 06-06-2023, 06:20 AM

290 posts, read 247,207 times
Dusty's Diary is a sometimes humorous account of a guy who, after a bitter divorce, decided to build a secret underground bunker in his backyard. Various world events occur, and it turns out he (and everyone else) desperately needed it. I thought it was a really good book (it's a series).

Devolution by Max Brooks (Mel's kiddo). Surprisingly good, but more along the lines of a town being cut off due to large scale earthquake/etc. events, and everyone finding out the hard way that glass windows are really just a social taboo. Some creatures aren't phased by them. I really enjoyed this one.

Run by Blake Crouch. Not really alien invasion, but close. The world goes insane, and a family discovers they really really really needed that gun (and other stuff). Gruesome (not for kids), but also really good book.

Outland by Dennis Taylor. Major yellowstone caldera eruption render most of US uninhabitable. A few who have inadvertently discovered a way to survive form a community. Also really good (imo).

The Distance by Jeremy Robinson. A daughter is given a strange survival pod by her parents, who know something but won't say what. Turns out to be necessary and she survives a planetwide cataclysm. Long tale of survival on the leftovers, etc. Really, really good book too.

Gray by Lou Cadle. Hiker/amateur spelunker realizes something really bad is happening and ducks into large cave after grabbing all her supplies from the van. More survival stories and one of my favorites.

Invasion by Sean Platt. Large alien objects approaching Earth. Protagonist has spent considerable effort and money preparing and supplying a survival structure. He and family have to traverse a large part of the country to get to it (all flights shut down, etc.). Getting past the desperate people becomes the biggest problem (at least at first).

I enjoyed all of these immensely. Hope everyone else does too!

BTW: All are available on Audible if you want to listen to them. They all have good readers too, imo.

Old 07-02-2023, 10:09 AM

60 posts, read 68,065 times
Pullin2 Thanks for some of the book suggestions. Most I could not find in our library or system. However I did find Blake Crunch and have enjoyed several of them. Did not find Run yet , but dark matter abd Upgarde were interesting. Thanks again for the suggestions

Old 07-03-2023, 02:20 PM

23,494 posts, read 13,727,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Beef View Post
Not necessarily how to books or movies but fictional stories about a neighborhood or household knowing something (invasion primarily) is coming and it shows the people preparing and getting ready for said situation? I've always strangely enough been into these types of stories....I remember in the early 90s a school textbook had a neighborhood knowing an alien invasion was coming and it showed them getting ready...would love to find out what that story was. None the less, anything come to mind?
Well, in "Lucifer's Hammer", they had one guy making beef jerky while a high government official was saying to buy US instead of Land Rovers in case they got stuck with them. I guess, I haven't read the book since the 80s.

In Bova's Millennium https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/1930304 it starts off with the American moonbase commander telling his engineer to increase their fresh water supplies because the Earth is a long way away for a drink. (again, decades since I read the book)

Another book I skipped through had the Apocalypse happening, survivors on an airliner that managed to get out, going down to Antarctica to live. One of the things in their calculations however was establishing how many calories a day people would need and figuring out how to achieve that.

Both between the Logan's Run universe and another book about a science outpost that gets cut off, there is that discussion as might Heinlein's "Tunnel in the Sky". Equally although it is just a line in the script, in classic Battlestar Galactica, "The Young Lords", Lucifier comments of the inferior IL series Specter is requesting materials far in excess of his needs. Baltar comments, "So he is stockpiling, so what? What garrison commander doesn't?" That is, one might face a situation where they are cut off from their supply lines.

I am sure there is no shortage of fictional books on the subject.

Old 07-07-2023, 01:18 PM

8,646 posts, read 4,459,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I dont base my survival on fiction, books, movies or anything else.
I deal in fact not make believe.
I grew up on Rand McNally maps, geography and history books.
Star Trek was one small step, to whet my mind's eye.

I read/watch apocalyptic stuff for entertainment and to get a grasp of how people might react to a disaster. (I can deal with anything that follows the rules of math and physics, but humans confuse me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, in "Lucifer's Hammer", they had one guy making beef jerky while a high government official was saying to buy US instead of Land Rovers in case they got stuck with them. I guess, I haven't read the book since the 80s.
Thanks for the tip. I used to read Jerry Pournelle's column "Chaos Manor."

Quote:
I am sure there is no shortage of fictional books on the subject.
There is no shortage of "Post Apocalyptic" stuff.
But Pre-Apocalyptic ? well, that is a different matter.

(I do know one, non fiction, story: a man spent 120 years, building a boat, in a place that had never seen rain, much less, a flood.)

On a tangent: I have been looking for the author of a short story,
written under the pseudonym: "Cast Iron"

The story was quite good.
I managed to salvage, and clean up, the manuscript, just as he disappeared.

Old 07-07-2023, 04:33 PM

19,529 posts, read 9,055,969 times
I second Lucifer's Hammer. I didn't agree with the author's position on nuclear power, but it was very well written and I have read it at least four times. Very realistic -- and even though it was written almost 50 years ago (!!), it is not all THAT dated.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/218467

Old 07-07-2023, 05:20 PM

8,646 posts, read 4,459,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I second Lucifer's Hammer. I didn't agree with the author's position on nuclear power, but it was very well written and I have read it at least four times. Very realistic -- and even though it was written almost 50 years ago (!!), it is not all THAT dated.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/218467
Which author: Pournelle or the other one?
And what did he say about nuclear power?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness