Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:47 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

If you dont mind eating porridge, I could see that as fairly cheap.

I get corn, barley, oats from local farmers for pretty cheap. Mixing 'sweet feed' is easy and the same feed goes to our chickens, hogs, goats and sheep. They all do fine on it.

If you consumed about 4 cups of porridge each day [for each full-size adult] would cost about 14 cents/day. Of course that is a lot of grain for one person to be eating. I have not done it, just basing this on how much we feed livestock.

You could supplement it with foraged mushrooms, greens and critters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:27 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
I don't stockpile food for when the "SHTF", I stockpile food because I have 4 growing boys and buying in bulk when it is on sale, in season, or the cow/pig is ready is the only way to go.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:06 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
A Well-Stocked Pantry (http://theprudenthomemaker.com/awellstockedpantry.aspx - broken link)

Old 11-03-2009, 08:28 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
A Well-Stocked Pantry (http://theprudenthomemaker.com/awellstockedpantry.aspx - broken link)

thnx oz for the link.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:44 AM

31 posts, read 47,680 times
You might also try BePrepared.com, which sells supplies for long-term food storage and emergency essentials, ranging from MREs, self-powering flashlight/radios, to cans of dried food. The long-storage foods don't taste too bad when cooked properly, and you can get cookbooks specifically for that if you don't know how to prepare them. It has most of everything you need to get and keep a rotating storage. Be warned, this takes up a lot of room in the standard home. You may have to take up most of the free space in your garage, under beds, ect. It is strongly recommended that you elevate the food canisters by putting a pallet or two-by-fours under them.

My sister (and most of my family) is LDS, and she is determined to get everything she needs for food storage for at least a two-year supply by March, and she's dragging everyone in her ward with her. So far she's got everything from several cabinets of long-storage food, to a bucket/plunge-washer setup for washing clothes without electricity. She's on a charge about water purification just now.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:45 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Your welcome...I just noticed this new forum this morning,this may be my new hangout....

Old 11-08-2009, 01:37 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Stockpiling food is one thing and I don't think it's a horrible idea, though I don't buy into the gloom and doom that seems to be running a bit rampant here. Maybe it's been mentioned in this thread and I've missed it, but all the stockpiled top ramen you can fit into your basement isn't worth as much as true survival skills.

And if the world really does go to hell the way some of you are predicting, one of your best survival tools is going to be your trigger finger.

Anyway, it really isn't all that difficult going for weeks and even months without taking a trip to the store. We do it in rural/remote Alaska all the time.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:54 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Stockpiling food is one thing and I don't think it's a horrible idea, though I don't buy into the gloom and doom that seems to be running a bit rampant here. Maybe it's been mentioned in this thread and I've missed it, but all the stockpiled top ramen you can fit into your basement isn't worth as much as true survival skills.

And if the world really does go to hell the way some of you are predicting, one of your best survival tools is going to be your trigger finger.

Anyway, it really isn't all that difficult going for weeks and even months without taking a trip to the store. We do it in rural/remote Alaska all the time.

people who live in the countryside or even in rural Alaska is one thing. but most people living in the city dont know where they are going to buy their next meal from, let alone next weeks or next months.

people always tell me that I am foolish for putting food back in case of hard times, but I just look at it as another insurance policy.

to those that would say that they will just steal anothers food (looters) in case of some gloom and doom of the future, just to let you know, the people who stockpile do not only put food back, they also put firearms and ammo back as well, plus they are for the most part better shots than you as they actually practice.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:37 AM

61 posts, read 100,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

I think most people realize that being able to raise your own food/hunt for food are valuable skills, but having a stockpile will help if your crops go bad/you can't find game etc. Its a safety net for times when crops/livestock can not produce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness