Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:15 PM

658 posts, read 830,328 times

Advertisements

In the face of natural or terrorist crisis, they can declare martial law nationwide, and suspend all rights of the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Military law will rule indefinitely, under which you have no rights.

If they want your gold, you will give it up (no receipt, no return, it's called eminent domain, and yes it also applies to personal property) or your home wil be searched. Guaranteed. If you give it up willingly, you will just be poor. If you lie and they find it anyway, you go to the prison camp. Also, guaranteed. This scenario is called SHTF, and nobody wants to see it... which is why I live 150 miles away from the city.

The barter system will return after people give up their guns and gold. Then, only the criminals will have guns and gold. Ain't gun control grand! If you have no product or service to barter with, you will be SOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 07:49 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
I do not see any reason for the Fed not to confiscate all gold.

They have done it before, only one generation ago.

They can easily do it again.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:52 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,966,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
If you want to trade on the Black Market -- drugs, sex slaves, illegal weapons and stolen vehicles are recognized profit centers and markets of choice.
But gold will command so much more money and is much more difficult to trace than drugs since there is no thing as a gold sniffing dog .

Old 07-17-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I do not see any reason for the Fed not to confiscate all gold.

They have done it before, only one generation ago.

They can easily do it again.
I've been known to pray that the gov't does confiscate...

then I can retire even earlier.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandveybe View Post
In the face of natural or terrorist crisis, they can declare martial law nationwide, and suspend all rights of the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Military law will rule indefinitely, under which you have no rights.

If they want your gold, you will give it up (no receipt, no return, it's called eminent domain, and yes it also applies to personal property) or your home wil be searched. Guaranteed. If you give it up willingly, you will just be poor. If you lie and they find it anyway, you go to the prison camp. Also, guaranteed. This scenario is called SHTF, and nobody wants to see it... which is why I live 150 miles away from the city.

The barter system will return after people give up their guns and gold. Then, only the criminals will have guns and gold. Ain't gun control grand! If you have no product or service to barter with, you will be SOL.
I would like to know how the government plans on getting my secured gold at the perth mint half a world away as well as my physical gold.

Thoughts of gestapo gold seizing police are improable at best, as the government has no real money to hire teams of people. Worst case is they employ a Stasi like role with neighbor informants, driving the black market even deeper underground and making the dollar even more worthless.

Gold is a metal and easily hidden among other metals, as well as trivial to melt down and recast. The war on drugs with massive agencies is a supreme failure, and these people even have the luxury of knowing that drugs have a scent and are more easily identified.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:03 AM

Owning commodities such as agriculture is just as risky or even more risky than gold. The State can claim that suffering and hungry Americans deserve the food you grow and demand you give up free of charge a sizable portion of your harvest. Much harder to hide a vegetable/livestock producing farm from the government than it is to hide a compact and easily hidden bounty of metal. Newly appointed local "Comrade Commissars" and informants paid to rat you out can see to it that you do not capitalize on your surplus.

I think I'll keep my self sustaining garden producing just enough (but not too much) food and my easily hidden gold/silver

Old 07-17-2008, 08:53 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
Dude, what's wrong with a little black market action? Heck, our own constitution recognizes gold and silver as legal tender. I have no regard for laws I see as fascist/authoritarian. The feds can come and get me right now. Uncle Sam, I know you are out there watching. I'm well armed, so you're going to need at least a dozen of the fascist ATF/FBI/IRS agents.

Best. Post. Ever.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:48 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I would like to know how the government plans on getting my secured gold at the perth mint half a world away as well as my physical gold.

Thoughts of gestapo gold seizing police are improable at best, as the government has no real money to hire teams of people. Worst case is they employ a Stasi like role with neighbor informants, driving the black market even deeper underground and making the dollar even more worthless.
"gestapo gold seizing police" Is rather harsh.

I was thinking of FDR-like policies.

When it has happened to us before, you can't act like it is impossible.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:44 AM

12 posts, read 33,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
They did it before, but I wonder how they can get at overseas gold.

Through their old pals and spawn, the IMF and the World Bank. SHouldn't be too hard to accomplish such a coup, given we are moving towards global government faster than mach 3.

Last edited by Global Friend; 07-17-2008 at 08:16 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
"gestapo gold seizing police" Is rather harsh.

I was thinking of FDR-like policies.

When it has happened to us before, you can't act like it is impossible.
FDR policies are wildly different than today. Gold was set to a fixed price and stayed there, but not because the gov't wanted it that way. Cash was precious in the depression. That scenario will likely not repeat itself since the printed virtual dollars can and will be spent by foreigners and wash back ashore to America. Paper currency will be trash, swept in the street and wads of it played with by children as toys. People will hoard gold and ignore government orders to round it up. Like I mentioned before, the difference between gold and physical commdities such as oil and agriculture is that gold is very easy to hide and protect, while the government can much more readily steal your golden goose (land) for the general good of the suffering citizens. You cannot hide a private oil field or farm, but you can VERY easily hide gold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness