Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 08:29 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times

Advertisements

They riot over basketball game results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 09:18 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Again the absolute truth. I see this on a daily basis. Lazy, helpless people, who make absolutely NO effort to change that..
Hmm. Another self-righteous post by SCGranny. She is holier than thou...

In many ways it is easier to hole up in Nebraska and be self-sufficient on your sprawling 60 acres than it is to survive in the city. Even if she paid $60,000 for the acreage (and you would have to pay cash in order to avoid a mortgage in a place with absolutely no employment chances), $60,000 is far more than most urban and suburban poor can afford or have EVER seen in their lives.
Finally, you are asking people with no upbringing and cultural context for self-sufficiency to all of a sudden change their ways 100% and if they refuse, you laugh at them

OD

Old 05-29-2012, 11:32 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
When I lived in Scotland, the Parliament passed a new tax. It was/is the 'poll tax'.

[Each adult over the age of 18 must pay this additional tax to the UK. Due to administrative costs and whatnot as this new tax goes down to the individual nation, through the shires, and finally to the townships; at each level of civil administration the poll tax gets a bit added onto it. Because the costs of doing government is different in each country, each shire, and each town, what you actually pay for your poll tax is different according to which town you live in.]

Now to start this new tax, the UK Parliament decided that each of the subservient nations was going to pay the tax first and when the kinks were worked out of the system then England would begin charging the English the poll tax as well.

We lived in Scotland when it was the Scot's turn to begin paying their poll tax to the UK.

The Scots were furious. In their protests they burned four government buildings. I understand that kind of rioting.

There was an entity they were mad at, and they wanted to strike back at that entity.

Did it have any effect? No, not really. The English know full well how to handle the lower-class Scots, Irish and Welsh. A few troops with fire hoses and some machine gun fire and eventually the subservient nations remembered their rightful place in society. The cost of replacing those buildings was eventually rolled into the other taxes that the Scots were paying to the UK.

Say the dollar tanks; our banks lock their doors; utility companies turn-off power / comms / water / sewer; the Fed mandates that the WWW must stay off; oil refineries shutdown; trucking stops; store shelves become empty; and martial law is enacted.

What purpose would it serve to march on city hall?

You have one last tank of gas in your vehicle, do you drive to the state capital and abandon your car there, so you can join the riots?

When something bad is happening, or some injustice, I can see protesting in the hopes of changing the injustice.

But when society collapses, who do you protest to? It is too late.

When Kosovo was collapsing, they were not protesting. Each house, each city block had some kind of warlord in charge, and he wanted blood to pay for injustices done to his ancestors. Christians were 'getting justice' on Muslims and Muslims were 'getting justice' on Christians. We were there simply to defend the Muslims [often as they continued their raids].

When society collapses, it is too late to offer protest.

People screaming in the streets are more likely to be shot.

Protesting and rioting after society collapses may reduce the population a bit, but it is not going to get society moving any faster.

I do expect riots to happen. I have been there and observed it.

When everything collapses, better to stay home and tend your garden.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:53 PM

"When everything collapses, better to stay home and tend your garden."

Wise words and "tending" also means protecting.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
When Kosovo was collapsing, they were not protesting. Each house, each city block had some kind of warlord in charge, and he wanted blood to pay for injustices done to his ancestors. Christians were 'getting justice' on Muslims and Muslims were 'getting justice' on Christians. We were there simply to defend the Muslims [often as they continued their raids].

When society collapses, it is too late to offer protest.
For the record:

You were there for the bitter end. Kosovo started collapsing in 1981 or so. There were riots on streets, there were protests, there was a lot of stuff going on. Sometimes it was silent, sometimes not so. The western media and governments were not very interested until it came down to deposing Slobodan Milosevic.

OD

Old 05-29-2012, 04:34 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
For the record:

You were there for the bitter end. Kosovo started collapsing in 1981 or so. There were riots on streets, there were protests, there was a lot of stuff going on. Sometimes it was silent, sometimes not so. The western media and governments were not very interested until it came down to deposing Slobodan Milosevic.

OD
True, the internal government had partly collapsed, into a religious war, people were attacking people, we were there to defend one group of the attackers.

My point was that once the collapse is happening, it is too late to protest.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:56 PM

During a collapse you will be shot simply for being a nuisance. Your contemporaries will soon learn not to be nuisances. Bear in mind that Germany was a stable, well educated European country of Caucasian Lutherans and Roman Catholics. They had some of the best engineers in the world. In less than ten years they killed millions of civilians inside their own country.

Don't be a victim.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
True, the internal government had partly collapsed, into a religious war, people were attacking people, we were there to defend one group of the attackers.

My point was that once the collapse is happening, it is too late to protest.
No, no, my point was that when Kosovo riots and succession attempts started, Yugoslavia was still one big country with a unified government and a powerful police and military apparatus. It is in fact Kosovo that tore apart Yugoslavia - the amount of money spent in that province was exorbitant and parts of Yugoslavia like Slovenia and Croatia did not see any reason to finance a police state (which was also a disgrace internationally). My point is that the end started before anyone normal could see it. What you saw and participated in, was the logical conclusion twenty+ years later.

OD

Old 06-03-2012, 04:28 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
You know I posted on JPM IR Swaps unwinding, but this is interesting. I thought by mid late summer things would be quite interesting. Though I have to say the Zombie Apocalypse has been pretty dramatic on its own. Guess we will all find out.
Halfpasthuman - ticks in time

U.S. Treasury Bond Teetering Tower Of Babel, Fed Stuck At 0 ...

Last edited by CDusr; 06-03-2012 at 04:36 AM..

Old 06-03-2012, 07:22 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Well in Austrailia they already have $1.1 Million Dollar fines for speaking ill of the carbon tax. I haven't heard about riots.

This weekend in Chantilly, Va where the Bilderberg Group is meeting the police are issuing hundreds of tickets for simply dropping people off near the Marriott. The cops don't realize that their pension funds are going to be raided. They have arrested a guy for crossing the street; took him to the police station tried to vaccinate him and when he refused, put him in a cell by himself. He was released the next day at least. When the 8 cops converged on him, one of the 500 activists shouted out, " If we all walk on the street, are you going to arrest all of us?" After that you never saw a bunch of police hop in their cruisers and drive off so quickly as they didn't want to give the crowd a chance to show that they really couldn't do anything about it if they did do that.

Yesterday they hog tied (which is illegal) a member of the press from the AFP for doing something equally as "egregious". They had her on her stomach and were tying her wrists and her ankles!

I recommend everyone watch it today if you want to see hundreds if not thousands of activists speaking out freely. Lots of them have bullhorns that make siren noises. Moles who are inside and are sources for Alex Jones are saying that the Bilderbergers are finally getting really scared that they might not be successful in taking over the world as too many people have "woken" up.

They should have a live stream up in an hour or so. "We are change" and Alex Jones and others are covering it besides some of the Mainstream Press including the Associated Press.

ustream.tv (search "Bilderberg 2012).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness