Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:51 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,674,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I wish I could agree with you, but I can't.
^^^Well said.
Government for its people will all be volunteer work (work of passion & no other gains, power, capital, monetary or whatever gains) & all its workers (president included) will have "open accounts" for all to see (before, after; so there is truly no gain or self "causes" other than that passion to help others).

Don't see that happening anytime soon...
And even when to be a government agent needs proof of 3 generations as born-American... where is that 3rd generation rule that also applies to our president???

Yah... Open book for the people indeed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Zactly.

What I do, I do for me; for my pleasure, for my profit, for my comfort, for my prosperity. I really don't give a dang if the world collapses or not; if there's rioting in the streets, those streets will be far, far away from me. If things get really really bad - I can't grow my plants and trees, my animals die, can't get water anymore, have nowhere to go and nothing to live on - well, heck, I've been homeless and hungry before, and always found a way out. If there is no way out - there's always two bullets kept back.

Yes, yes & yes!!!
And why should it be for anyone else unless that self chose to share???
Tis called "freedom" & being able to do what you want or will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 12:00 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
There may or may not be a bank holiday here. Far more likely, IMHO, is that the banks will remain open, but the "money" they dispense will buy nothing of value...so why bother to withdraw it? This is the scenario that so many refuse to see. How, they wonder, can the US dollar be worthless? Enter Argentina, 2001. I have mentioned this many times, but most refuse to look, let alone see!
That's the more likely scenario. But people will still be banking; they'll just be using inflated dollars. However, at a cetain point the system will break down. There'll be opportunities for those who planned ahead. Gold will be, as it has always been, the money of last resort.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:04 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,460,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Gold will be, as it has always been, the money of last resort.
Amen!

Old 06-13-2012, 12:14 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,622,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
For a single day or up to three day bank holiday likely nothing would happen (see 9/11 bank holiday). However, get into weeks without access to money for those who have failed to prepare in any form and the US will most likely see the type of reaction Argentina has with their currency collapse, IMO.

Interesting times in the EU with bank holidays in Greece, Spain and Italy. Take careful note as to what lessons may be applied here.
Europe has a history of often violent protests over EVERYTHING. Students will come out in Paris to the streets to protest rising tuition costs and they will get violent. So will workers in Spain or England. So on and so on.

In the USA we take each other to court. Students roll over and take it with the rising tuition costs, hoping that they will just earn more when they get out of school.

It is a completely different culture and society. It has also to do with tradition too. More importantly, it has to do with who owns and runs the country and how much money is being put into advertising, TV and all other mass-media tools of control.

However (and most importantly), isn't Kim Kardashian's life more interesting than all this stuff we are discussing here? Who wants to riot when poor Kim is having a fit with her sister over that new dress?!?!?!?!

OD

Old 06-13-2012, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 855 times
Default Stay calm

Quote:
That's the more likely scenario. But people will still be banking; they'll just be using inflated dollars. However, at a cetain point the system will break down. There'll be opportunities for those who planned ahead. Gold will be, as it has always been, the money of last resort.
Double that "amen"!

Old 06-13-2012, 07:08 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,859,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Europe has a history of often violent protests over EVERYTHING. Students will come out in Paris to the streets to protest rising tuition costs and they will get violent. So will workers in Spain or England. So on and so on.

In the USA we take each other to court. Students roll over and take it with the rising tuition costs, hoping that they will just earn more when they get out of school.

It is a completely different culture and society. It has also to do with tradition too. More importantly, it has to do with who owns and runs the country and how much money is being put into advertising, TV and all other mass-media tools of control.

However (and most importantly), isn't Kim Kardashian's life more interesting than all this stuff we are discussing here? Who wants to riot when poor Kim is having a fit with her sister over that new dress?!?!?!?!

OD
Hope you are right. I am too young to remember the riots in my own city in the early 60s; but, our culture and society have changed greatly from the one that was calm just a decade or two ago, OWS has shown me this.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:56 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,577,206 times
Quote:
In Compton? Sure. In West LA? No.

Dogs don't climb trees; cats don't chase cars.
You're a bit naive. When Indy Mac bank failed in CA it came to close to near riots in very upscale Encino, CA(an upper middle class suburb in LA's San Fernando Valley).

People were lining up and weren't being allowed into the bank, it came very close to a riot. These were middle, to upper middle. to rich people trying to get into the bank.

Don't assume it's just the "have nots" who will riot, if people can't get into their safety deposit boxes or are told "I know you have a 100K in your savings account, however we can only give you 5K"...there will be problems.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:04 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,260,493 times
no i expect the unexpected, the populous will not turn the other cheek to the mob smash n grab folks.
looters will no longer be provided counseling and time out. the unthinkable will happen, the oppressed will cease to submit in the name of past sins atonement. the concept of justice will suddenly take a drastic turn. many will run those who do not must be prepared for the worst. mercy tolerance and forbearance are functions of resources.
u can easily see what happens to people after the riots by watching the series ---walking dead.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 06-13-2012 at 08:17 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 08:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no i expect the unexpected, the populous will not turn the other cheek to the mob smash n grab folks.
looters will no longer be provided counseling and time out. the unthinkable will happen, the oppressed will cease to submit in the name of past sins atonement. the concept of justice will suddenly take a drastic turn. many will run those who do not must be prepared for the worst. mercy tolerance and forbearance are functions of resources.
Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're a bit naive. When Indy Mac bank failed in CA it came to close to near riots in very upscale Encino, CA(an upper middle class suburb in LA's San Fernando Valley).

People were lining up and weren't being allowed into the bank, it came very close to a riot. These were middle, to upper middle. to rich people trying to get into the bank.

Don't assume it's just the "have nots" who will riot, if people can't get into their safety deposit boxes or are told "I know you have a 100K in your savings account, however we can only give you 5K"...there will be problems.
The White working class and above, and I believe we may the same of those from the East, do not riot in this society. You just provided some anecdotal evidence. Know your enemy and prepare to take arms against them as the Koreans did during the Rodney King Riots.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:13 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,682,701 times
i don't thni it will be anyhtig different than the 30's crash really. people in isolated areas moving to where they can get the few services left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness