Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 05:17 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,278,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
My favorite for Rabbits and Snakes and Foxes and Coyotes would be a 22 L.R. single action long barrel pistol and if you use Hollow Point ammo it tears and does lots of Damage.>>>>> If you want more Distance and more knockdown power a 22 Magnum is great both in Rifles or Pistols. A regular 22 L.R. can bring down a deer if you hit it right.

So how many deer, coyotes and foxes have you taken down with a 22 long rifle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 05:49 PM

24 posts, read 91,054 times
Hi-Point Firearms: Handguns

Local Ace Hardware carries these, $120 for a 9MM.

Joe H

Old 11-12-2008, 05:41 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,623,251 times
As I am a veteran of the river boats I would prefer a .45 Colt 1911 for a "carry gun". I am familiar with the weapon and physically large enough to carry a howitzer concealed. For home defense I would consider the new Taurus .45 pistol that chambers .410 shotgun shells as well a .45 long colt. Load it so the first shot is 'bird shot' and the rest hollow point slugs. The bird shot should stop or blind and intruder and it does not the hollow points will. For general plinking I recommend a .22 cal Rugar semi auto pistol. I realize the Glock is a very well made and reliable pistol but I just prefer the 1911.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:40 AM

464 posts, read 1,154,760 times
Default Bird shot

Steve-o {Warning- Do NOT Read! }

Hey guys, here below is a website I found that refers to the bird-shot. Scroll down to Shooting- description part. Tho I heard it on the news, I did find this site with some info on it.
I'd never heard of bird-shot in a pistol/handgun before for any use. And could not imagine the length of the barrel being able to do much with it I mean how close would I have to be to hit what I'm aiming at AND do some damage?

Snake or man

I'm small, 5'1', weigh about 107, short arms and legs but big hands {really}. I know if I'm walking, what ever is on the ground and flings my way- well it's gonna hit me
Probably thigh high, if it's 3+ feet in length.
I'm pretty strong, but don't know about carrying some heavy ole thing
Some being about as long as from my elbow to wrist LOL

I like the idea of the bird shot for the spray effect, I'd most likely hit it 'some' LOL {would it kill or just pizz em off for round 2 }

And what about recoil, throwing me off for {a fast} round 2

I checked and a decent size rattler's head's about 3 and a half inches {seven shots in the head? Hmmmmmmmm, don't know bout that one but......}

What should I start looking at? Ideas.

I like what GregW had to say in his last post here. The bird shot #1 and a hollow point for round 2 {can I actually load a pistol that way ahead of time?!}

I'd also be on horseback sometimes, this is the other time I'm concerned about. I spose a shotgun would be good then but the last shot gun I held was pretty heavy- time to manuver
I'd have to teach/condition the horse to the sound of shot; so it would not take off insanely in panic :P

IF I get property with set up for my horse{s}, I know I'll have some issues probably with rodents and the horse-feed being there. Tho I'm pretty picky about things being clean and in their place

One Barn we were stabled at we had a big ole Bull snake living in it, took care of some of the rodents BUT the darned things {mice} ate right through the quick-crete flooring of the Meds/Feed-room, in the cold of winter {no snakes then in those parts }, cats were fat and sassy on mice already LOL
{owner should have used Concrete imho! LOL}

And as far as an Intruder....GregW says it'd blind em first, then hit em again huh? {then get the heck OUT! }

I could use the same type pistol for both issues?

I know I need to go and feel one and see about weight etc.
But the shot.....

I want to avoid me or my critters getting in to troubled, Be-fore hand
If they stay out of my way......we'll all be happy

Here's the website with the description.
http://www.co.el-dorado.ca.us/ag/wil...tlesnakes.html

If I were to buy {more} snake proof boots, I've learned I'd have to buy Thigh or hip-High ones! LMBO
My Cabela ones just go to the top of my knees- Uncomfortable!
Water mocassin/cotton-mouth, was the last one I met up with, in the stream water of a trail we were working on. I was on a rock in the water in my boots- knee deep, he was floating/swimming down stream with- his mouth open, {that was the weird part} we just missed each other
He was about 5 feet long. Big. Water as moving sort of fast but not swift.

When I took a step after he slipped by....I went down enough
he would have hit me at the hip level. My boots filled with water, as I stood paralyzed in shock that we'd came that close. If I'd stepped that next step before he went on down stream, Yikes!
Mindin' my own business, we crossed paths.
I was pretty calm, then ready to move on with the work, the other folks with me, weren't so peppy to get back to it, LOL
They were all just staring at me

I just have these 'encounters' in my life, so want to be prepared. {today it was 2 loose bulls LOL, well 1 really, as the really BIG one, was long gone and not coming back for a gooood while :P }
I've said before that I'm allergic to just about any poison, sting, bite, venom I'm hit with, already
Carry epinephrine, everywhere I go

Doubt a snake bite would be 'good' for me, LOL
I don't want to give up being Out-side!

If I can- call someone to re-move em, fine, but there will be those times, for the life I live.....

Well anyways, thank you all for the advice and thoughts on this, you do or have or will live in NM and know more than folks round where I am, what I might/should be looking at.

Promise, my last story for the night!

Thanks and Oyasumi nasai,

Tia Dalma

Last edited by TiaDalma; 11-13-2008 at 01:49 AM..

Old 11-13-2008, 05:23 AM

Tia - In your case I would recommend a revolver for the simplicity and reliability. If you can wrap your hand around the Taurus "Judge" it may be the gun for you. Actualy any used .38 cal police revolver is adaquate. We are not talking olympic marksmanship here. IIRC "pepper shot" ammunition is made in most pistol calibers. Pepper shot is very fine lead shot that is effective on snakes, rats and other small critters out to about 15 ft from a short barrel pistol. In the case of the Taurus the .45 Long Colt round is effective on most anything out to about 30 to 50 ft. Any longer range and it is not self defense, it is enemy action.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:49 PM

775 posts, read 2,582,860 times
Default Pintada Kid Advice

I laugh at these guys that suggest a 45 or a 38 which by the way some 357s can fire 38 ammo. A 38 for killing a Rattlesnake ha ha a 22 L.R. is perfect for killing a Rattler or rabbit or even a deer but if your out in a high crime area and a human is your target 38 or 44 or 44 or 9 mmm etc. is perfect and if you feel your going to be a Attacked by a gang of Bikers an Ak 47 is perfect. My Suggestion to Tia is a Revolver either Single or Double action the 22s are perfect to learn but also can be Deadly if its an Accurate gun. A single shot 22 L.R.Rifle is the perfect kid gun they also make 22 short ammo but make sure your rifle can shoot them. And im thinking a 210 shotgun is the perfect little shotgun rifle for a small person and for killing rattlesnakes and its pretty accurate for shooting critters at a short distance im guessing 20 or 30 yards. el pintada kid

Old 11-13-2008, 01:57 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,604,845 times
Quote:
I laugh at these guys that suggest a 45 or a 38 which by the way some 357s can fire 38 ammo. A 38 for killing a Rattlesnake ha ha a 22 L.R. is perfect for killing a Rattler or rabbit or even a deer but if your out in a high crime area and a human is your target 38 or 44 or 44 or 9 mmm etc. is perfect and if you feel your going to be a Attacked by a gang of Bikers an Ak 47 is perfect. My Suggestion to Tia is a Revolver either Single or Double action the 22s are perfect to learn but also can be Deadly if its an Accurate gun. A single shot 22 L.R.Rifle is the perfect kid gun they also make 22 short ammo but make sure your rifle can shoot them. And im thinking a 210 shotgun is the perfect little shotgun rifle for a small person and for killing rattlesnakes and its pretty accurate for shooting critters at a short distance im guessing 20 or 30 yards. el pintada kid
Kid, there was no suggestion as to what purpose the handgun would be for. Therefore I would assume a person may need it for humans in addition to varmints. There are many varied opinions on guns. I myself don't want my target moving forward at me after I shoot, and therefore want to do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. I don't care if it is a snake or a raging 300 pound drug addict, I want it to go down fast, and I want to be able to shoot off as many rounds as I can into said target as I can. So you can laugh at my Colt .45 semiauto, but I doubt any target that is coming after me will laugh at it very long.

Last edited by Vinegaroon; 11-13-2008 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-13-2008, 02:41 PM

908 posts, read 2,847,724 times
As a general rule, I don't laugh at guys packing .45 semiautos.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:46 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,278,036 times
Quote:
And im thinking a 210 shotgun is the perfect little shotgun rifle for a small person and for killing rattlesnakes and its pretty accurate for shooting critters at a short distance im guessing 20 or 30 yards. el pintada kid

Enlighten me. I have never heard of this 210 shotgun you speak so highly of.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:28 AM

He may be referring to a 20 gauge (about 5/8th of an inch bore) shotgun. It is one size larger than a .410 (bore dia) shotgun. FWIW the gauge is the number of round balls needed to make up a pound of shot.

For self defense against human size predators I recommend as large a handgun as you can control and carry. A 12 or 16 ga shotgun is also very effective. For general pest control I suggest a .22 revolver or pistol. Needless to say every household has a .22 rifle in a closet. The principal advantage of the .22 is the ammunition is cheap enough to allow for plenty of practice. Plinking (a technical term for practice) with a .22 pistol and a bunch of tin cans can be great fun. Just be certain you are shooting in a safe place with nothing behind the targets that you do not mind hitting. You know, things like pets, kids, house, cars etc. Always be aware of your target area before you shoot.

In these economic conditions I suggest waiting a few months to buy a gun. Then start checking out pawn shops and/or a gun show or two.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness