Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 11:07 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,949,534 times

Advertisements

You need to hang on the politics board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Fixed that for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 05:57 AM

136 posts, read 135,082 times
if I was going to go the bunker route, I think I'd go the commercial option and buy outright. Plenty of commercially available options out there if you can afford them.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:42 PM

6,751 posts, read 5,457,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i wanted to build a private hiden bunker on our land but never did it. maybe nows a good time to start. anybody out there have bunkers full of food water ammo and dont forget about the dolphin safe tuna in alluminum cans for long term storage and don't laugh i am serious
Gee, you haven't started already?

NOW you think it's time?

YOu also need to learn how to be self-sufficient.

No more Macy's clothing, no more grocery store...

1} start reading everything online you can about being self-sufficient {print off or buy books on the subject-computers/youtube/internet may NOT always be there to help you.

2} Figure out your water supply and how to protect yourself from harmful bacteria and other things lurking in it- get a LIFESTRAW and LIFESTRAW filter bottles, for instance!

3} LEarn to GROW YOUR OWN FOOD< and PROTECT IT from raiders.

4} Learn to can store your food stuffs...granny's home canner isn't for a museum anymore!

5} stock pile WaYS of protecting your stashes

6} get OUT of the city!

7}learn to make your own DURABLE clothes! burlap feed bags anyone?

8} learn WHAT TO gorw for emergencies and how to process...like witchhazel bush

9}lay in forms of alternative $$$

etc etc

that's just to start you off...READ READ READ

Start NOW...you don't need to do it all at once, but START...I have been a 'casual prepper' for several years.

Best of luck to you

Old 02-07-2017, 08:44 PM

18,927 posts, read 14,115,131 times
I'm going to be a post-apocalyptic tailor.
My motto : "SEW WHAT?"

Old 02-14-2017, 08:17 AM

156 posts, read 186,641 times
I save my old socks and jeans thinking I will be using the material to patch holes in the 'newer' closes.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:44 PM

6,751 posts, read 5,457,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Overall , there are some things you should look into , just in case. Forget about the bunker concept.
1. Buy some gold and silver
2. Move out of the city
3. Think about moving to New Zealand
4. Install alternative energy power source.
5. Store up diesel fuel and propane
6. make a close pact w/ friends and neighbors , know who your enemy's are , stay clear.
7. have no debt , pay cash for everything.
8. dry food , plant a garden , store staples , salt , water , ( your own well )
9. Install a gate , and live on a private road. keep gate closed all the time.
10. get your mail in town , with a PO box . ( UPS best )
11. Do not use cable , or fixed line phones. Wireless Internet only.
12. Build your house on high ground , where you have a good view. Mountain top best, w/ 360 view
13. have more than one way out , should you need to escape.
14. A good dog or two , get some Ginny hens.,
15. learn first aid , have medical supplies well stocked
16. bank and invest on line , nothing local.
17. use the barter system as much as you can for what you need and want.
18. Ebay for selling and buying.
19. never bring strangers to your home.
20. grow a beard , do not share photos of your self.
This is about it on ONE list, I'd add:

A bunker and stockpile will only last you so long.
YOu also need to learn:

First of all get, protect and learn to sterilize your drinking water source. A land mass with "a river runs through it" [a creek or steady stream or bubbling spring] will do nicely, if not find a property close to one with which you have right to access somewhere close by.

then learn:
1} how to grow, process, home can and store your food
2}if you can't have farm animals, move to where you can. If still not, make friends and barter your services for a farmer nearby for meat, eggs and poultry, goat's, sheep's {yuk} or cow's milk
3} learn to process that goat and cow's milk into things like cheese and butter. I'm glad my grandmother taught me how to churn and raise sweet cream for butter, NOTHING store bought tastes anything like the heaven that is I tell ya!
4} learn how to do EVERYTHING WITHOUT electricity! Great or grandmother's laundry washboard is not for a museum anymore, and beats beating clothes clean with river rocks! Same with the hand butter churner!
5} speaking of laundry, get DURABLE clothing that will wear like iron and can be darned and mended. Learn how to sew, darn and mend said clothing!
6] learn how to sew quilts BY HAND for colder nights from scraps of cloth and insulate them well..
7} learn how to make candles from beeswax and lay in a goodly amount store supply of candle wicks
8} get yourself a good pair of long lasting LEATHER boots, in fact a couple pairs to trade off wear on is good idea. You will be glad you did.
9} learn which plants serve MEDICINAL purposes AND HOW TO PROCESS THEM. Like for example witch hazel bush for astringent, and willow bark for pain relief{aspirin made this way}
10} speaking of which, lay in a LARGE first aid kit. And good clean cotton white cloth bolts for cloth bandages, for example.
11} learn to make your own soap-tide may not be available on every shelf, and premade glycerin may not either.
12} figure out a solar system, but also figure out lamps {oil or kerosene for example or see #7} if you can't replace the batteries for the system to operate at night. You will need lights at night.
13} learn methods of breaking down human waste for your OUTHOUSE. Learn WHAT an outhouse IS.
14} Learn to MAXIMIZE any product you DO use. Like take a raw chicken for example: first pluck feathers for pillows, then rotisserie it {learn how to with string hanging in front of fire}, eat once, save bones and wing tips and neck and gibblets parts to boil into a broth for second use: clean bones of all remaining chicken and make a soup. Keep all vegetable scraps from making the soup {or chicken stew} for a vegetable broth and for composting.
15} set yourself to get your wheat ground into flour or get/build a flour mill for yourself
16} learn to make and bake bread, the simpler the recipe the better.
17} LEARN TO COOK with and set yourself up to cook : open fire, BBQ pit, Beehive oven. rocket stove, stove that burns wood, leaves, branches, or coal, etc. LEARN how to make "alternative logs" out of things like paper stock, leaves etc.
18} learn HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF AND ASSETS, via guns, rifles, bow and arrow, traps, etc.
19} Learn how to HUNT for meat
20}Learn how to dress an animal in the field and save skins for further use!
21} grow an orchard and learn HOW to care for fruit trees of a variety.
22} learn composting methods
23} learn to keep bees
24} learn to keep farm animals
26} Learn about root cellars
27} get the HECK OUT OF THE CITIES to your hideawy when the SHTF.!
28} LEARN routes like the back of your hand to GET THERE without a GPS! ANd in an all terrain vehicle

There is SO MUCH more than JUST BUNKERS and stockpiling!!!

LEARN to BE SELF-RELIANT, and SELF-SUFFICIENT, Not just stockpile and bunker down.

START BUYING BOOKS on this stuff, look at youtube videos and write down instructions, PRINT OFF ON PAPER recipes and instructions for things...in case the internet and computers and smart phones gigs of data are non-existent. Better to STOCKPILE this type of stuff instead.

THINK 1800s! THINK little house on the praire, gunsmoke, Ponderosa!

BEst of luck to you as you learn and grow.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:04 AM

2,665 posts, read 2,222,580 times
Quote:
i wanted to build a private hiden bunker on our land but never did it. maybe nows a good time to start. anybody out there have bunkers full of food water ammo and dont forget about the dolphin safe tuna in alluminum cans for long term storage and don't laugh i am serious

Save your money on bunkers and move to the South Seas.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:56 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,100,139 times
Quote:
Why would you think to do it now? If you are 30, good for you. If you are 50, you don't have the acumen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness