Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 02:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Dont know why you would think that, i'm just laying out a hypothetical scenario of total collapse,a scenario in which i would probably be one of the first to go..you really think i'm hoping for that to happen?
"a "gang" of "good" people can pull a trigger just as well as a gang of worthless people."
as for that idea its going to be a very fine line between the two groups and i think your so called thugs are going to mobilize into the pack mentality a lot faster than joe bungalow will as old joe will be under the impression that he can protect whats his and try to save all his worthless stuff,by the time he figures out he needs a posse it will be too late.
People a hundred years ago were made of tougher stuff than todays American population and werent addicted to all the conveniences we have today,todays population for the most part are fat,lazy and complacent and wouldnt survive long without modern technological conveniences..

I agree with about you today's population. If the SHTF I don't think I would want to survive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I think the OP seemed a little giddy about the possibility, quite frankly.
There are a few people on here who are drooling at the thought of total chaos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 03:35 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Maybe its time for the op to re appear and define what he meant by collapse as theres collapses and then theres collapses..

Old 01-31-2011, 05:47 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And there are people like you and a few others on here who wet themselves hoping the TS does HF.
I doubt anyone is hoping the TS does HF. If it does it is survivable for some but not for everyone. I am well preped, but that doesn't mean I would automaticly survive either. One mistake, the wrong cut, the wrong meet up with some one ill, and I am dead.

Can I reduce some risks? Yeah you bet, can I reduce all risks ? No way.

The OP: he claims to be from W.Va. They have wild lands with game, coal and wood for fuel, and a society that doesn't deal in cash for every deal there is. Some of the very poor there would do far better in SHTF, because they don't have high comfort levels to begin with. They can do more with less. W.Va might do very well over all in shtf.

Those of you who are city slicks won't do nearly as well as the ones refered to as Hillbillies. Hillbillies are used to harsh conditions and think it's just normal.

What sets off Hillbillies is someone from somewhere else, telling them how to live.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:33 PM

454 posts, read 940,020 times
S Hitting TF can mean a BILLION different things. For some it might be losing their job, for someone else it might be a diagnosis of a chronic, incurable disease, for someone else it might be a flood that takes their home and they have no insurance, it could be a tornado, a hurricane, a blizzard, an earthquake, a long term dry spell, a blight on a certain crop or a fungus on a certain crop. Most of those would probably be localized and wouldn't have an effect on the whole of the U.S, unless of course something lke the fault in Yellowstone were to blow.

Listening to what is going on in Egypt right at this very moment is a great indicator of what any one of us could expect to deal with in the event of any type of disaster - people are people no matter where you are located on the face of the earth. When people riot and things get out of control the results are quiet predictible. They are running out of food and water in Egypt at this time in the areas that have been exposed to the most rioting. We can expect nothing different here in the U.S. if something were to cause any type of interupption in delivery of food. The last place I would want to be, is around a large group of people when the SHTF - no matter what causes the S to HTF.

Mac_Muz, I was with some friends yesterday, and we talked about that very same thing, how some of what are considered to be the 'poorest' among us, will probably be the ones who get along the best in the event that something does happen here in the U.S.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:58 PM

Norsk, It takes a lot to get me into shtf modes. Mostly to me it's party time when a storm does it. A party to me is to go out and see the storm and help anyone in it. For the weeks with out power in the last big ice storm which took all New England most of NY I think, Quebec to Montreal. maybe NS, all I did non stop was make coffee and donuts taking that to crews, caring for the eldery local to me, cut the roads clear and push off downed trees with a plow.

That's my idea of a party.

I lived with very little funds in a trailer from Hell, my pet name for that place, but the location was everything. Dead center in a NH volcanic ring d i k e. Search on a toppo map if you like zip code 03886, back off the map and move 6 miles due south. You will see the circle.

CNN says cell phone service is down in Cairo now too.....

I have seen people all upset for just skinning a squirrel to COOK! It's hard for me to believe, but some people have no idea what food is before it's wrapped on clear plastic, and on a white floam tray.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:39 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I doubt anyone is hoping the TS does HF. If it does it is survivable for some but not for everyone. I am well preped, but that doesn't mean I would automaticly survive either. One mistake, the wrong cut, the wrong meet up with some one ill, and I am dead.

Can I reduce some risks? Yeah you bet, can I reduce all risks ? No way.

The OP: he claims to be from W.Va. They have wild lands with game, coal and wood for fuel, and a society that doesn't deal in cash for every deal there is. Some of the very poor there would do far better in SHTF, because they don't have high comfort levels to begin with. They can do more with less. W.Va might do very well over all in shtf.

Those of you who are city slicks won't do nearly as well as the ones refered to as Hillbillies. Hillbillies are used to harsh conditions and think it's just normal.

What sets off Hillbillies is someone from somewhere else, telling them how to live.

This is true....sadly I get freaked out if my blowdryer hiccups In a real emergency though I'm sure I would rise to the occasion. A lot of us don't know how powerful we can be if necessarry

Old 01-31-2011, 07:52 PM

Aptor. i might have made my mistake.. Dec 31st i broke that finger, and it was healing, and pretty well. But today it puffed up big and unless it's pregnant, i can't say whats wrong. Broken blood vessel is my guess.

Oh well there's alway an elastic puppy dog tail style fixin's... table saw works I hear..

Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Aptor. i might have made my mistake.. Dec 31st i broke that finger, and it was healing, and pretty well. But today it puffed up big and unless it's pregnant, i can't say whats wrong. Broken blood vessel is my guess.

Oh well there's alway an elastic puppy dog tail style fixin's... table saw works I hear..

Ummm OWWWW! Blood clot I have had a lot of older customers missing fingers though and I sort of think....oh my

Old 02-01-2011, 12:48 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,243 times
What happened in Argentina in 2001 is commonly referred to as "collapse." They're not roving around in packs, eating each other, but things changed drastically when their currency was devalued. This is where America is headed, IMO, with some slight differences. It's already started and I believe it will be much worse by the end of this year, but will take a few more years to play out completely. When it's over, I think we'll have a different currency and a lot less authority in the world. I never called for "Armageddon", that's a Biblical battle that I believe is a ways off yet.

It appears some of our optimists here wouldn't consider anything but Mad Max to be a collapse, though I'm not sure because none of them have provided their definition of what constitutes a collapse. It's easier to look like you were right later, if you avoid specifics. Then they can come back at the end of the year and say "Hah! Americans aren't roving in packs and eating each other, therefore there was no collapse!"

I'm still waiting for one of them to show us on what evidence they base their belief that we won't have a collapse in America. I'd also like to know, if they think these discussions are so ridiculous, why does it bother them so much that they feel the need to come in and troll the threads? Why would they care if other people are discussing something they're sure won't happen?

Old 02-01-2011, 12:58 PM

Be Free, I sort of see it as people who other wise would never meet up having no choice. They will have to live in family units in a shared house. Everyone combining resources to remain in that one house.

No more Govt interference since the money won't be worth anything to speak off. Like maybe 100 dollars for a loaf of store bought bread if you can even find one.

Some real bad times where a lawyer would fear telling anyone he was a lawyer. Laws and enforcers would be scarce, since ordering poor people with out much and with out much to be done, would end up about tarred and feathered.

Life as we know it based on getting something to eat once a day, IF your lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness