Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 07:33 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Lol!

Did you see the pic I posted a couple posts back from the dumpster diving thread?

You think some of the third world's we bring produce in from are a heck of a lot cleaner than a dumpster?

How many times you go into supermarket and the produce is already rotten sitting there on the shelf?
Never. Any business that allowed that to happen would quickly go out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 07:47 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Never. Any business that allowed that to happen would quickly go out of business.
So every strawberry you see in a pint is always fresh. Okay. Cool. Your tax bracket is probably a lot higher than mine.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:29 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
So every strawberry you see in a pint is always fresh. Okay. Cool. Your tax bracket is probably a lot higher than mine.
I don't dine on garbage as you do. My tax bracket may or may not be higher than yours, but I'm not as likely as you to die from tainted foods. However, I urge you to continue: lets see which of us disappears from the forum first.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I don't dine on garbage as you do. My tax bracket may or may not be higher than yours, but I'm not as likely as you to die from tainted foods. However, I urge you to continue: lets see which of us disappears from the forum first.
My oldest cousin is in his 60s (he was/is a hippy) and he's been doing it for probably 40 years. So...

Old 07-13-2019, 12:07 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
I don't dumpster dive for food personally, but I wouldn't judge someone who did. They probably do throw away some pretty decent stuff. Expiration dates are only suggestions to give it the eye and smell test to me.

However, I do love "dumpster diving" for other stuff. In Alaska where I live, there are rural transfer stations where people can dump their trash to later be picked up and taken to the landfill. There are designated seperate salvage areas (not in the dumpsters) where people can leave decent or even new and nice stuff. Due to the very transient nature of the state and the expense to ship things out, you can seriously score at the transfer station if your timing is right. I've found literally thousands of dollars worth of useful and like new items, gear and equipment that I've needed over the years, all for free. I'm not a hoarder and I promise it's all legit useful things for the homestead or SHTF scenarios and not junk . I'm talking primo stuff.

Even the most adamant anti dumpster diver would be impressed with what ends up at the transfer stations up here and be tempted to look for themselves.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:58 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,893,246 times
"In Alaska where I live, there are rural transfer stations where people can dump their trash to later be picked up and taken to the landfill."

We have the same in Hawaii. I was dumping some scrap metal and noticed a military issue ammo can that looked nearly brand new. That would have been a score all on it's own but inside was full of brand new pens and unsharpened pencils. Double-score.

As far as the dumpster diving for produce goes, one might just ask the manager of the produce department if you can have it before they put it in the dumpster. We did that once and not only did they set it aside for us sometimes the employees would deliver it to us. We were feeding it to animals but all of it was still good and we were puzzled why they were throwing it out.

Another way to get free produce is to host a CSA pickup location (community supported agriculture). For anybody unfamiliar with the concept it's basically where people in the neighborhood subscribe to an outfit to buy a box of locally produced farm stuff, usually weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. They have pickup locations scattered around so you don't have to go far to pick up your box. We hosted a pickup location where people would come and get their boxes from us. I don't remember what the perk for us was, like 50% off our box or maybe it was free or something. Anyways every time there were people who never picked up their boxes and the CSA place said we could either have it, give it away, or they would send somebody over to pick it up and compost it or whatever.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"In Alaska where I live, there are rural transfer stations where people can dump their trash to later be picked up and taken to the landfill."

We have the same in Hawaii. I was dumping some scrap metal and noticed a military issue ammo can that looked nearly brand new. That would have been a score all on it's own but inside was full of brand new pens and unsharpened pencils. Double-score.

As far as the dumpster diving for produce goes, one might just ask the manager of the produce department if you can have it before they put it in the dumpster. We did that once and not only did they set it aside for us sometimes the employees would deliver it to us. We were feeding it to animals but all of it was still good and we were puzzled why they were throwing it out.

Another way to get free produce is to host a CSA pickup location (community supported agriculture). For anybody unfamiliar with the concept it's basically where people in the neighborhood subscribe to an outfit to buy a box of locally produced farm stuff, usually weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. They have pickup locations scattered around so you don't have to go far to pick up your box. We hosted a pickup location where people would come and get their boxes from us. I don't remember what the perk for us was, like 50% off our box or maybe it was free or something. Anyways every time there were people who never picked up their boxes and the CSA place said we could either have it, give it away, or they would send somebody over to pick it up and compost it or whatever.
I general just use common sense when salvaging any of this stuff.

Most of the things have a natural outer layer "protectant" to begin with - watermelon, bananas, oranges, and so forth have an outer layer that isn't edible and gets tossed anyway. Of course I still wash the outer layer of said products before I start handling them. It's not rocket science.

There is only one chain I am aware of that has accessible dumpsters anyways - all the other have enclosed/compactor trashes. And I don't foresee this lasting so...

Like I said I am not trying to hijack the thread.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:38 AM

8,927 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Like I said I am not trying to hijack the thread.
A little topic drift won't kill us,
but to get back on the subject...

Quote:
My assessment of the odds of a recession starting next year is about 40% chance.
My assessment of the odds of a total collapse in the next year is less than 5%.
(and most of that chance would be subsequent to a nuclear detonation.)
Again, my opinion only.
Just a note that I base my opinion of the likelihood of a recession on the bond interest rate curve. Someone said earlier, that it is inverted. That means that shorter term government bonds, that means those that mature in weeks or months pay I higher interest rate than longer term.

This is partially true today. Specifically, 5 year treasuries are paying less interest than just about any other. The started several months ago, and the only reason anyone could come up with (one that is likely to be true) is that Chinese and European (and maybe other foreign) investors are buying up huge quantities, since their own economies are gone to Hades. Ours is doing fine, but if the situation continues as is, we may see a lessening of investments in our capital markets next year. But maybe not.

In the next year, the only way I can see our economy completely collapsing in the near future would be a nuclear strike (or an EMP) on any one of a dozen or so possible countries. It wouldn't matter who launched the strike. The worn out idea that China could dump our bonds never would have worked and it is further from working now than ever. (The reason is some kinda steep mathematics.)

Old 07-15-2019, 07:29 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
You only own land if the government says you do. If society breaks down- no one owns their land anymore. What would you do with ammo? Sell it? to whom? For what? why wouldn't they just take it from you?

Want security? Build relationships. That is what will keep you alive and help you succeed if a breakdown occurs. Stockpile friends. Stockpile respect. That is your safety net.

Also chickens. Stockpile chickens. They might or might not help you survive, but chickens are just plain cool.

BTW people have been saying the final breakdown is almost here for decades. They have all sort of evidence and proof that it is just around the corner. Accept that you have no idea whether or when it will occur. It will always seem like it is inevitably right around the corner. You are not the first to think this, nor even the millionth. People are always claiming they can see the end of our society coming. Many even give specific dates, or approximate dates. When those dates come and go, they do not even seem embarrassed, they just pick a new date and keep doomsaying.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You only own land if the government says you do. If society breaks down- no one owns their land anymore. What would you do with ammo? Sell it? to whom? For what? why wouldn't they just take it from you?

Want security? Build relationships. That is what will keep you alive and help you succeed if a breakdown occurs. Stockpile friends. Stockpile respect. That is your safety net.

Also chickens. Stockpile chickens. They might or might not help you survive, but chickens are just plain cool.

BTW people have been saying the final breakdown is almost here for decades. They have all sort of evidence and proof that it is just around the corner. Accept that you have no idea whether or when it will occur. It will always seem like it is inevitably right around the corner. You are not the first to think this, nor even the millionth. People are always claiming they can see the end of our society coming. Many even give specific dates, or approximate dates. When those dates come and go, they do not even seem embarrassed, they just pick a new date and keep doomsaying.
If the govt. Breaks down...then they don't own the land...because govt. doesn't exist anymore, or exists in a more impotent way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness