Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:40 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,452,246 times

Advertisements

Once we learn to have the courage to just allow life to happen to us, things get a lot less stressful.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:16 AM

720 posts, read 700,521 times
without guns and ammo everything else is moot.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:11 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
new portfolio
1/2 ammo
1/2 canned goods

that it?

how about adding in things like tools, knowledge, firearms (also known as tools), 1st aid gear, bags, freeze dried foods, and so many other items.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:13 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post

just remember, that no matter how well armed you are, there is someone else better armed than you.

if surviving TSHTF is your goal, then staying out of sight and mind is always the best option, and there fore gearing up for that eventuality.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:10 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,033,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Maybe at least study some of the real world collapse models of the Soviet Union and Argentina so you do not sound so ignut of the topic?
Sometimes I wonder about you people.... Please read what I say, I use the words I use for particular reasons. Governments collapse all the time, where as civilizations die slowly or are invaded by other civilizations. A government and civilization are not the same thing.

Czar ruled Russia, the USSR and today's Russian Federation all represent different periods of the same civilization.

People on this thread are talking about the systematic collapse of society and there are few if any historic examples of this sort of thing.

All of this is rather silly, even if society collapsed new factions would form immediately. The gardening club would likely be stripped of their belongings and made sheep or be killed. There are plenty examples of that in human history!

Old 11-01-2009, 08:31 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,520,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Sometimes I wonder about you people.... Please read what I say, I use the words I use for particular reasons. Governments collapse all the time, where as civilizations die slowly or are invaded by other civilizations. A government and civilization are not the same thing.

Czar ruled Russia, the USSR and today's Russian Federation all represent different periods of the same civilization.

People on this thread are talking about the systematic collapse of society and there are few if any historic examples of this sort of thing.

All of this is rather silly, even if society collapsed new factions would form immediately. The gardening club would likely be stripped of their belongings and made sheep or be killed. There are plenty examples of that in human history!
Okay.

Since you clearly do not understand the topic and are trying to bs your way though, here is a backgrounder for what the rest of the folks are discussing . . .

The Five Stages of Collapse | Energy Bulletin

Old 11-01-2009, 09:37 AM

25,475 posts, read 18,607,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
just remember, that no matter how well armed you are, there is someone else better armed than you.

if surviving TSHTF is your goal, then staying out of sight and mind is always the best option, and there fore gearing up for that eventuality.
I agree with this. If nobody notices you, you're not a target. If you don't have a neon fortress with something inside that others want, you're not worth bothering with.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:43 AM

25,475 posts, read 18,607,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
I agree. But, they are not renewable and hypothetically should be saved for serious situations. I think archery skills would be very handy. Silent and deadly. Arrows can be reused and constructed when needed. With practice, longbows or crossbows can be made from the natural world. It seems reasonable that for hunting and fishing, one would not want to waste all of one's bullets. Arrows work just fine for that. Plus they don't draw a lot of attention (like rifle blasts).

Old 11-01-2009, 01:42 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,424,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I agree. But, they are not renewable and hypothetically should be saved for serious situations. I think archery skills would be very handy. Silent and deadly. Arrows can be reused and constructed when needed. With practice, longbows or crossbows can be made from the natural world. It seems reasonable that for hunting and fishing, one would not want to waste all of one's bullets. Arrows work just fine for that. Plus they don't draw a lot of attention (like rifle blasts).
Trapping is an even better method for getting game without using ammo. Of course it's currently illegal to trap big game in most places but pits, deadfalls, foot snares, and of course longspring bear traps, will all assist in getting meat in the event of a collapse.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:48 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,033,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Okay.

Since you clearly do not understand the topic and are trying to bs your way though, here is a backgrounder for what the rest of the folks are discussing . . .

The Five Stages of Collapse | Energy Bulletin
Oh geez you are a broken record. If you don't want to address what I stated, don't address it. But don't link me to some banal opinion piece on energy that was not mentioned anywhere in this thread and pretend as if has anything to do with "what the rest of the folks are discussing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness