Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 03:12 PM

15 posts, read 51,655 times

Advertisements

I'm doing some research on homesteading, and I was hoping for some input on a good area. This would be for my own enjoyment, so the market isn't a very big deal. I'd want a handful of sheep, goats, pigs, chickens, maybe some other poultry, and farm dogs. I'd also like an orchard and large vegetable garden. Obviously I'd want it rural. My husband is working on his teaching licence, so we'd need to find a place that has teaching jobs available. I like four seasons, even lots of snow, but not for much of the year. I'm okay with hot temperatures (up to 90 or so), but not with high humidity. We'll be on a small budget, so the less expensive the better. I like rural but wouldn't mind suburban as long as zoning and space isn't an issue (looking for about 10 acres). I like an old fashioned country feel. We have a baby girl and hope to have more in the future. We are also LDS, but we don't need a lot of heavy influence, just acceptance and a building somewhat nearby. Taxes should also be at least affordable since we'll be on a small teaching salary plus whatever I can do with the land.

I've seen plenty of places in the mid-west and east that would probably work, but are there many places in the western US? We have family in Arizona and SoCal, and I'd like to raise my kids at least somewhat near their grandparents. We also have family in Eastern Idaho and parts of Utah.

Places I've considered are nothern and western Idaho, most of Washington, maybe Oregon/NoCal but I've heard the teaching situation is bad, and southeast Arizona.

Anyone know of a good location? Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 03:26 PM

Any ideas?

Old 09-23-2009, 05:29 PM

398 posts, read 1,317,420 times
What about Montana? I've heard of people doing the homsteading thing in Montana...

Old 09-24-2009, 03:33 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
A place with adequate rainfall (at least ~30 inches per year).

ABQConvict

Old 09-24-2009, 07:14 PM

Isn't Montana expensive? And it seems to have a really short growing season.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:28 PM

398 posts, read 1,317,420 times
Well, I am not too familiar with growing seasons - I can barely keep a houseplant alive. But I just know I've heard of people going to Montana with the sole intent to homestead. Montana has a nearly identical climate to eastern Washington, eastern Oregon and Idaho - all of which you said you were considering... so I thought I'd mention Montana. I don't think it's very expensive - but expense is all relative. I guess it depends on where you are coming from and what you are used to.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccritter View Post
...We have family in Arizona and SoCal, and I'd like to raise my kids at least somewhat near their grandparents. We also have family in Eastern Idaho and parts of Utah.

Places I've considered are nothern and western Idaho, most of Washington, maybe Oregon/NoCal but I've heard the teaching situation is bad, and southeast Arizona.

Anyone know of a good location? Thanks very much.
OR is out for high taxes and poor school funding. (Maybe CA for the same reasons + higher CoL)

WA is possible in some rural counties. look for ag regions for best growing conditions.

Sounds like grandparents are in CA & AZ, so... I would look at SE AZ, and within proximity to Boise. ID and southern ID (good growing season + access to airport)

Northern and NW ID are a bit inaccessible for an ez trip to see family.

Do yourself a big favor and don't get too remote (If family / visitors / job are important to you)

Old 10-30-2009, 10:33 PM

29 posts, read 112,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malachai23 View Post
What about Montana? I've heard of people doing the homsteading thing in Montana...
Yeah I've heard that too.

Hard work. Gathering wood, lots of wood to heat your sauna and home. Lots of solar input some of the time, but not so good in the Fall and Winter. Sometimes lots of wind, but sometimes that wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine. We have an 8kw welder generator. You'll need a good truck, but no need for anything expensive. Be at least 20 miles from a town, and further from a large city. Off grid living isn't cheap just because you don't have electric bills. I still pay for gas, some food, mobile Internet, and automotive, building materials, etc.. I do use Lodge Pole Pine for building and stones for building. We estimate our cabin to cost 20,000 -very affordable by USA standards. I removed a rotten floor in our trailer and the total cost was 2.00 for chalking to seal the edges. We make our own solar panels, but still pay for expensive inverters, controllers, and the batteries. You'll need an army of family devoted to this lifestyle. My father in law came here 30 years ago and thought he would have his home built in three months, 27 years later and it is still not complete.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:48 PM

25,680 posts, read 18,770,132 times
How about the northwestern region of South Dakota (a small towns like Lemmon)?

Old 11-01-2009, 07:16 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,584,840 times
Northern Idaho Panhandle has more than adequate rainfall but not too much, mild winters, it's heavy forested (forests similar to those on West coast of WA), it's not totally secluded (lots of tourism and lumbering). It's quite a unique area. Going west into WA you'll hit semi-desert lands in 100 miles. Going East into Montana 100 miles, it's getting much colder and drier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness