Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:19 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,933 times

Advertisements

Mormons have been preparing for emergencies and the fulfillment of last days prophecies for decades. And they've learned a lot!

Here's a link to a large website (free - browse anonymously) filled with information about the many varied aspects of family preparedness including food storage, fitness, gardening, pandemic, etc:

Provident Living Home

Old 10-29-2009, 08:21 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times
True, we have been. The Bible teaches self-sufficienty (among other things) and I'm sure other faiths that aren't Christian ...I would think they are taught the same thing.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:15 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,376 times
Yep, that's just what I thought when I saw that this is a new forum! Let's share what we have learned about our food storage. I have several foil pouches of dehydrated beans stored under my bed, in my pantry, etc. I also have several cans of potato pearls (yummy). But I have to stock up on water. I read somewhere where you can get a barrel to store water in. 55 Gallon Water Barrel Package (http://www.alwaysbeprepared.com/site/558697/product/WA133 - broken link) Found the site
Also we are saving up to be a generator. We also have quite a bit of canned food and our 72 hour emergency backpacks.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:02 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Mormons have been preparing for emergencies and the fulfillment of last days prophecies for decades.

Uhh yeah,
the've been planning for decades and it has not happened.
So for tens of years, hundreds of thousands of days, they have been wrong.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:31 PM

Default Peace of mind comes from being prepared...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Uhh yeah,
Actually, for I suppose tens of thousands of families over the decades, emergencies have happened. And those who were prepared have been greatly blessed to have food storage and other emergency supplies on hand. Those emergencies could include accidents, sickness, unemployment, death or incapacitation of a family bread earner, natural disasters, etc. Plus the independence and peace of mind that comes, like having good and adequate insurance policies, from always being prepared.

But, with respect, your comment comes across as a criticism of the Mormons. If that was your intent, there's an appropriate thread in which to have such a discussion:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/religion-philosophy/780526-mormons-made-simple-learn-about-discuss.html

Old 10-29-2009, 01:39 PM

448 posts, read 1,820,442 times
Here's a link to a self-fulfilling end-of-days prophecy. Go Mormons!

Old 10-29-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear_Art View Post
Here's a link to a self-fulfilling end-of-days prophecy. Go Mormons!
Oops, nuclear option, wrong thread, wrong church!

It's arbitrary, but the term "Mormon" usually refers to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, the church that owns and maintains the provident living site linked in the op:

http://providentliving.org/

Old 10-29-2009, 02:18 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Quote:
Uhh yeah,
Maybe the end of days hasn't happened - but I know lots of people that were well-prepared for the latest economic crunch.

Having supplies on hand is always smart. There are power outages, layoffs, hurricanes, earthquakes, water shortages, etc.

I may not agree with the reason why - but it really is a good idea.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:30 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I learned a lot about this when I lived in Utah. Thanks to my grandma and my LDS friends and neighbors, I know how to can and preserve food. It's fun even. We used to have salsa parties and can all day. I have a dehydrator too.

Knowing how to take care of yourself in good times and bad is a great idea.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:04 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
Quote:
Uhh yeah,
nothing has happened?

there haven't been earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, floods, land slides, or anything else, have there? we've actually been living in some kind of fairyland stasis for years now and the mormons have just been too silly to notice, eh?

mormons aren't told to be prepared just in case the end times come now; they have been told to be prepared since the beginnings of the church, and that based off of how people were told to be prepared way back in biblical times. it doesn't take a looming armagedden to justify taking care of yourself.

in fact, what we call "preparedness," was pretty darn run of the mill only one hundred years ago in the majority of the united states, and still is in many areas of the country.

people that think being prepared is only for loons are going to have a big, nasty surprise one day. i think it is all part of the growing up process.

i am pretty glad that we have been preparing, because i lost my job in the spring, and our current level of comfort and survivability is directly related to how prepared we were.

the fact that we had a lot of money in the bank at the time, a considerable food storage, and the know-how and discipline to live on a tight budget has kept as warm and happy despite setbacks.

i am one of the minor cases. my wife's neighbors back home in florida have been living in financial hardship for years; the husband had a brain tumor that required hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of operations, thanks to today's crappy health care system, and just about put them out of a home. they became a very thrifty, very "capable" family, growing their own food, making their own soap, etc.

is your argument seriously to scoff at people that can take care of themselves in times of crisis? or was that merely a slip of the tongue (or fingers, as the case may be), caused by some fairly obvious religious intolerances and a lack of education regarding world issues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness