Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:24 PM

29 posts, read 46,447 times

Advertisements

Actual money (as opposed to a debit card) is one of the hardest things for me to keep handy. Recently read a book that really made me think. Man was stuck at airport when an EMP took out all semiconductors. His car would not run. Went to Wally World for bikes to get home (16 miles) and only had 20 bucks in his pocket. In the book at least, they were accepting cash and checks only as the atm/cc machines were down, as well as the power in the store. His daughter happened to have a check. The check along with his Rolex watch bought him one bicycle and 2 bottles of water. I don't have checks or a rolex.

Incidentally.. he had to FIGHT to keep the bike. Somebody eventually sucker punched him and took it anyway.

What I have in my GHB, which is an old backpack.

Flashlight- which I'll be switching to a large Kowl-Light (sp?) for defensiveness as well as light, $100 small bills / change, prepaid cell phone (unactivated with card... need to check and see if it has an expiration date if not activated????) Emergency contact list in case I lose my primary cell, Socks, water shoes, water proof jacket, bandana, dusk mask, baseball cap and boggan, wool gloves/plastic gloves,
2 (1) liter bottles of water, granola bars, cheese crackers, vienna sausages 380 pistol, extra clip (yes I have a license to carry and yes I know how to use it) emergency solar blanket, Lrg plastic garbage bags for shelter, Plastic clips, paper map, small battery powered radio, extra batteries, compass/whistle, multi blade knife, small pry bar, toothbrush/floss/paste, extra reading glasses, lighter & 000 wool for fire, small 1st aid kit.

I used one of those vaccum seal bags for my clothes/shoes and it really saved a lot of space, not to mention making them waterproof.

Can anybody see any fault with these items? I went for lightness and versatility as a long hike with a heavy bag would not do my back any favors.
Dental floss is one of the most handy things you can carry imho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 02:19 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,091,523 times
A quick review of my GHB which is much smaller than my BoB, but still has enough stuff to get me home. For reference I am usually with either 2 or 3 of my kids on the way home from work (21 miles from home), and therefore my GHB reflects that scenario.

My GHB:
Mini-bino’s
Duct tape
550 cord
Rubber bands/zip ties
Motorola talkabout
Extra comm. Batt. (cell phone/flashlight/radio)
Signal mirror
Food(dried fruit, jello, energy bars/snacks)
(2) Fenix flashlights
Headband w/ flashlight holder
(2) space blankets
Hand crank radio
(2) 16oz water bottles
Water purification tablets
Taurus TCP .380 + 5 clips
4 full weight carabineers
RAT7 knife + Kershaw ZT 0400
Sparkie fire starter & tinder
First aid medical kit
1 pair extra socks & fleece pull-over

Old 01-19-2010, 05:56 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times
I carry a backpack to work everyday. In it is my thermos of coffee, pen, sharpie, flashlight with spare batteries (small LED light), multi-tool, paracord, reflective belt, gloves, spare fleece/sweater, notepad, titanium spork, a book for reading, flash drive, few Tylenol caplets, spare phone charger. All of this fits nicely in a daypack that I carry from the parking lot to the office. In warmer weather I ride my bike to work with all this loot in a lumbar pack, minus the fleece.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:22 PM

29 posts, read 46,447 times
Looks good Golfer, what are mini-binos ?

Coolhand, the reflective gear is a great idea. Going to be lots of people on foot I'd imagine. Nice to be seen B4 they run you over! I'm going to add my reflective vest to my kit.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:32 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,091,523 times
mini-binoculars. Sometimes if you take a short-cut or are at an elevated position you can get a better grasp on your situation/position if you can see farther w/ binoculars.

Also if you see people or a group of people you would rather avoid, better to see them from far away then have to try and evade after a hard contact. Especially with kids in tow.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:21 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times
Default BOB Contents~What's in your bag?

Curious what some of you have packed and ready to go in your BOB. Which bag do you use (3 DAP, Daypack, Duffel bag etc), what's clipped to the outside as well as what's inside, and are contents like food items and medicine kept up to date?

Some basics that I keep stored in a 3 Day Assault Pack:

550 paracord
Compass
Bandana
Fixed blade knife (5 inch blade w/sheath)
Leatherman Multi-tool
2 LED Flashlights w/spare batteries
Butane lighter
Matches
Tinder (I stuff a zip-lock bag with dryer lint)
Spare set of eyeglasses
Sunglasses
Leather work gloves
Fisher Space Pen
Small Notepad
Fleece and weatherproof jacket
Spare socks (wool)
Zip-ties
Army Surplus First Aid Kit w/fresh water purification tablets and aspirin
Canteen w/metal cup
Peroxide
Tweezers
Survival Handbook
A few large plastic trash bags
Binoculars
Toothpaste w/ small compact travel brushes
Reflective belt

The bag stays in the closet closest to the entrance of the house.

It's always good to get compact or lighter materials since all of these items can add up quickly in terms of weight. Make sure you have a good pack that is comfortable in the event you have to go on foot for several hours at a time. No need to spend a fortune either, you can find surplus medium ALICE packs for about $30, make sure you get a frame and it comes with the straps.

Any ideas of suggestions on things to add are encouraged.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:12 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Coolhand, add cash, and if you use it, put it back soon. Add food, as I see none. Add sewwing materials with 3 corner needles that cut leather, and can be used on cloth. Add a few safety pins, enough to replace a dead zipper on a coat, and come in handy for splinters.

Add Bacardi 151 rum and don't drink it! This is clean enough for surgery, can be made into other meds, can assist in bad pain, can be used to help start fire, lots more, but don't just drink it.

Add a tape, medical, duct tape, or electrical, and add super glue. You can super glue a bad wound shut. I would add a roll of mechanics wire, and a few 8 penny nails. I would add a flat file and a round file, either could be a weapon, but have regular intended uses.
A small mirror, to see a spec in your eye, or signal.

I am thinking and typing so the flow for text just isn't there. Reading and re-reading your list.
I am not familar with that pack, but if the tube frame can be opened use it for cash and maybe more batteries.

My kit isn't like yours at all, but I do things a lot different than most people, I do very old ways for things.
I don't plan to move one inch either, but I live rural. Add a book you like, something I might pick is one on wild plants, with pics and hints on if you can eat them, but just something to read can be handy. Hard candy, used to keep you mouth wet, make a friend, and gain instant energy.

Get a tin that seals well for your tinder, maybe something like a candy tin, or a 1/2 pint paint can. get rid of the plastic baggie, or use it for something else. They don't stand up to hard use.

Adding a flint and steel from Jos Townsend would be a good idea too, and give you use of both types of tins.

In my life Fire is a must have. I simply must have fire, and so I have skills in bow drill fire and teach it, I do flint and steel with no char, but that is another lesson. You must command fire with or with out matches and lighters IMO.

If a joint compound bucket fit in that pack I would add one. You can gather a lot of water in one, use it to keep things dry away from a camp, to hide things in if it is camo, and sit on if you want, and or do wash. it can be a cooler in a brook if you take any game too.

I could add to this till you can't lift it, so I won't.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:58 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMed View Post
To Maia160

How heavy is that kit ?

Jus curious, no-flame no-blame.

X
Sorry it's taken me so long to answer and no offense taken. It's pretty heavy for me, a female at almost 5"3. I'm guessing it is 40 lbs at most, which would be hard for me to tote a long distance. Like I said, the list looks long but most of the items are small. With that being said, I hope to evacuate by car if the need arises. If I have to go by foot, I figure that I can ditch the extra gear that I don't really need and keep the really important stuff.

Last edited by Maia160; 03-13-2010 at 10:08 PM..

Old 03-14-2010, 01:45 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
I know Guys on camping trips that bring next to nothing. then they expect to use other folks gear, and eat their food. --I give them nothing, but a hard time. --If things ever do get bad, be on the look out for this type of behavior.
I mis-read this thread thinking Coolhand was post 1.. That I was post 2..

The quote is dated, but ammused me since i have seen the same thing before. People who I didn't know, and no one else where i ended up, knew either.

4 fools, miles in the woods with nothing... So helpless they couldn't start a fire if you gave them a box of matches. In fact they only item they has was a radio for music, and that didn't make anything other than static.

For those who will end up that way, atleast bring beer for me ok? Maybe then you can bargan for fire.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:34 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,044 times
Cool Do you have a GRAB & GO bag ?

In case of any emergency when you would have to evacuate your home immediately ~ (fire, flood, etc.) and you don't have time to pack anything, or even think of what to pack ~ a GRAB & GO bag would be the perfect thing to have.

WHAT would you put in it ? (cash, ID, keys, credit card) ????

and WHERE would you hang it ? (near the door) hide it? ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness