Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 06:58 PM

43 posts, read 74,308 times

Advertisements

I have been storing Wheat Grains, oats, dried fruits, dried milk, potato flakes, rice, dough conditioners and flour gluten amoung other items. I have searched high and low for the best deals and quality in everything I buy. I have found a site that offers all of this and everything shipped is only $4.49. All the grains are super clean and the bread and pastries I have made turn out excellant everytime. Powdered Dried Whole Eggs - Freeze Dried Fruit - Blanched Almond Flour - Steel C - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 01:54 AM

651 posts, read 1,416,925 times
Here are a few more online stores with flat shipping rates or free shipping after reaching a minimum order amount:

www.beprepared.com

The 7 Store�: Food Storage - Long Term Survival Food Storage

Emergency Preparedness | Food Storage | MRE | Freeze Dried Food

Old 11-15-2009, 01:39 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Just so the newbie to grains storage will know........
Read up on how to suppress the insect eggs that are in all the grain we eat. Proper long term storage isn't the container they came in unless it's a sealed can.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:37 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
RE: Longterm food storage

We store barley, oats, corn and sunflower seed is 55-gallon drums; sealed with desiccant to make it last.

We can food; we salt, pickle, freeze, dehyrate, and freeze-dry stuff.

We do not smoke food though. but we do most every other method.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:16 PM

43 posts, read 74,308 times
I also found a Powdered Milk that is really good, Country Cream non-fat powdered milk I have tried it and have been drinking it for 3 weeks now, heres a link: www.grandmascountry.com

Old 11-17-2009, 07:24 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUin2012 View Post
I also found a Powdered Milk that is really good, Country Cream non-fat powdered milk I have tried it and have been drinking it for 3 weeks now, heres a link: www.grandmascountry.com
YOWZER!! BOOKMARKED!!

Old 11-18-2009, 05:38 AM

301 posts, read 823,795 times
I MUST voice a strong positive opinion on Country Cream - it is the best powdered milk I have have used! When property mixed & chilled it tastes just like 2%. I have fooled several teens several times with it! It also makes wonderful yogurt & 30 min. mozzarella. They also make a chocolate milk that is excellent, hot or cold. I won't buy any other brand now!

BTW - I believe three important elements of long-term food storage is: #1 - Rotate & use what you store! Don't make a survival situation worse (especially if children are involved) by relying on foods that you have never experienced before. Dehydrated foods are fine, but not if you haven't practiced preparing them & weeded out the ones that you just can't tolerate. Your preparation dollars will be better spent on the items that you will use & your survival experience will have one less stressor. #2 - Don't forget to store some fun foods, too. Hard candy is inexpensive & has a long shelf life. Sweets are psychologically fun & comforting foods, plus they are equipped with calories. #3 - Be sure & store plenty of oil - vegetable, olive, canola, etc. it is that vital addition to your other foods for fat & calories.

Rotation of your food storage is critical so that your storage is always fresh & it insures you are eating what you store!

Old 11-18-2009, 05:43 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
RE: Longterm food storage

We store barley, oats, corn and sunflower seed is 55-gallon drums; sealed with desiccant to make it last.

We can food; we salt, pickle, freeze, dehyrate, and freeze-dry stuff.

We do not smoke food though. but we do most every other method.
Don't try it, beekeeper. It is very hard to get it into those little papers...

Old 11-18-2009, 07:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
Rotation of your food storage is critical so that your storage is always fresh & it insures you are eating what you store!
During the year I try to rotate as I buy.
Once per year around Christmas time I do a major re-organizing..takes about 1 day taking my time. This way you catch those oddball cans that got overlooked but are about to or have expired.

Also..check dates when you buy food..always check the can. Just last week I got a can of cranberry sauce with a 2008 expiration date. Took them all to customer service so some other person who didn't check dates wouldn't get stuck with it.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:01 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Don't try it, beekeeper. It is very hard to get it into those little papers...
uh, sigh.

Cute

I was reading about the carcinogens from smoking meats, so we stopped smoking meats.

We only salt, pickle, freeze, dehyrate, and freeze-dry now.

We do not smoke

And for the pea-nut gallery, smoking meat does not include papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness