Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:25 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,695,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
In reading through a number of threads on here, one thing which comes up over and over is people saying they will shoot to kill if anyone tries to take their food/supplies if disaster strikes.

I've been wondering, and would like to hear, how those of you who consider yourselves devout Christians reconcile the idea of killing people who come to you for food, or even try to take your food, because they have not prepared, with your religion. I imagine in hard times there would be not only aggressive violent men coming to you, but ill-nourished elderly, women, and children. Would you kill them as well? Feel OK about turning them away?

So many of you seem to sure that you would meet them with violence and sound like you would have no hesitation doing so. Do you think this is really how you would feel in that situation? Not be torn about what to do? Not struggle with your decision and your religion?
Self defense. Many, Christian or not, will go to killing an intruder. Now, I'm sure any person, Christian or not, would freely give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 07:42 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,430,451 times
Quote:
In reading through a number of threads on here, one thing which comes up over and over is people saying they will shoot to kill if anyone tries to take their food/supplies if disaster strikes.

I've been wondering, and would like to hear, how those of you who consider yourselves devout Christians reconcile the idea of killing people who come to you for food, or even try to take your food, because they have not prepared, with your religion. I imagine in hard times there would be not only aggressive violent men coming to you, but ill-nourished elderly, women, and children. Would you kill them as well? Feel OK about turning them away?

So many of you seem to sure that you would meet them with violence and sound like you would have no hesitation doing so. Do you think this is really how you would feel in that situation? Not be torn about what to do? Not struggle with your decision and your religion?
You just need to put the pieces together, you have them all you just haven't used them to come up with the correct conclusion.

Religion and it's followers are the root cause of most of the hatred and intolerance on the planet, thus the shot to kill mentality of these people that say the believe in some 'loving' gawd.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:57 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,521,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You just need to put the pieces together, you have them all you just haven't used them to come up with the correct conclusion.

Religion and it's followers are the root cause of most of the hatred and intolerance on the planet, thus the shot to kill mentality of these people that say the believe in some 'loving' gawd.
Completely ignoring the tens of millions of people wiped out by atheistic Communists. The religious are pikers compared to atheists when it comes to slaughter.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:15 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,521,425 times
Quote:
What about an alternative situation then. What if there were several families, all of whom did prepare their supplies. An earthquake (or whatever) hit and your home/supplies alone were spared. Would it change your mind how you felt about sharing? Would you feel obligated? Or if not obligated, more likely anyway?

I am interested in hearing people's views on this, not trying to attack anyone or any religion. I suppose I could just as easily have used any other religion or secular humanists, all of whom help those in need, in the question. I chose Christianity only b/c it has come up more than the others in threads I've read.

Please don't think I'm asking this follow-up as an attack on your answer. I am just curious about the nuances. At least what, ahead of time, people think they might be. I realize that in the moment heroes and villains and everything in between will be seen, just as in any time of crisis or war, and it's not necessarily those we think it will be.

That's a fair question. Certainly my feelings toward someone who had been overtaken by circumstances is completely different than toward those who willfully ignore the possibility of needing to prepare. However, my nuance on this issue boils down to whether someone tries to take my stuff by force rather than asks for help. I'm prepared to help to the limit of my ability to do so, that's a limit I set based on the circumstances at that time. As soon as their action becomes threatening or coercive then that's a different ball game.

I might also say that the choice to use lethal force is not one taken lightly by me or the vast majority of people and one that I would avoid if at all possible but it's also a choice that is best made in advance rather than the heat of the moment. The actual use of lethal force is something that will haunt most individuals for the rest of their life and it's appropriate that it should be so. Those that think they can do so and walk away without a twinge are kidding themselves.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:45 PM

32 posts, read 56,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

Perhaps you could elaborate. i.e. What do you mean?

Using Christians as an example, I don't see too many of them in jail, nor committing too many crimes. Not that they do not sin or commit crimes....

A few questions:
Do you think the world would be better off without Christians?

Do you think the world is getting better or worse?

Lastly, it seems a bit ironic that you would show such intolerance towards a group that you say is so intolerant. BTW, I think the whole "religion of peace and tolerance" is a large reason why our country is in the mess it's in. THe latest example: Tolerance allows investigators to give a "pass" to an extreme gunman in Texas to shoot dozens of people trying to protect you and me.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:26 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,570,904 times
Look to the good book:

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I come not to send peace, but the sword.” Matthew 10:34

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"
Luke 22:36,

“And they said, ’Lord, look, here are two swords.’ And he said to them, ‘It is enough.”
Luke 22:38

"Lord, shall we smite them with the sword? `Suffer ye thus far.' "
Luke 22:49-51

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace."
Luke 11:21 (Jesus said)

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, THERE SHALL BE NO GUILT FOR HIS BLOODSHED." Exodus 22:2

“But Moses said to the sons of Gad and to the sons of Reuben, "Shall your brothers go to war while you yourselves sit here?” Numbers 32:6

You can keep your groceries. Nobody can take them from you. Back during the depression, hobos had secret marks placed at homes and farms where they could get a handout, a meal or a chance to work for a meal. Maybe they could sleep in the barn.

I remember a song from those times.

Can I sleep in your barn tonight mister?
For it's cold sleeping out on the ground.
I have no tobacco or matches.
And I promise I mean you no harm.

Be charitable within your ability, but be prepared to counterattack with overwhelming force if threatened.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:27 PM

43 posts, read 74,097 times
Quote:
I apologize if my tone was accusatory. I do not mean it in that way.

I just think that of those Christians I know, who do a great deal of work for the needy (some of whom are needy by their own doing just as arguably they would be again by not preparing), that it might be harder than is being presented to kill and even not share with others. I am not looking to offend Christianity, rather I wonder whether there would be a lot more internal conflict about this question than it seems by many threads. I have just been surprised that people are not more torn on how they might respond in this scenario, rather than the ease with which they talk about killing and letting others starve.
Odd I didn't see any other Religion other than Christians posted. I don't know if you have been keeping with the times but Islam is slaughtering people everyday in the name of Alah.

When the time comes and things are bad, then you will see how merciful Christians can be as they always have been in times of trouble. You should be ashamed of yourself for even posting something so thoughtless.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,790,345 times
Taking the OP's assumption that the taking of life may somehow create a conflict in the mind of Christians out of the discussion for a moment:

Self-defense and preparedness is a matter of mindset.

I suggest reading the following: On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs by Ret. Col. Dave Grossman
On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman

Old 11-18-2009, 07:00 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,653,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Taking the OP's assumption that the taking of life may somehow create a conflict in the mind of Christians out of the discussion for a moment:

Self-defense and preparedness is a matter of mindset.

I suggest reading the following: On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs by Ret. Col. Dave Grossman
On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman
Thanks for that link. It is perhaps the best column I have ever read. I sent it to all of my friends.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:42 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,570,904 times
When your door bursts in is not the time to decide a course of action. It is not the time to try to remember the combination of your safe, to search for ammunition or to try to remember what drawer your pistol is in under all that underwear. If your state requires it, get a permit to carry. Then CARRY. It can take months to get a permit. The functionaries that issue them will drag their feet. Be polite, but be persistent. It's a matter of personal responsibility and human rights.

"Bear" means carry. You have a right to carry arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness