U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-07-2010, 01:00 AM

7,559 posts, read 7,118,933 times
This thread is so STUPID! When it comes down to "my life or yours", I don't think religion has a tinker's damn to do with self-survival. Although it wasn't your intention, what you wrote almost suggests a form of self-sacrifice. You know you're in deep $hit with everyone else around you, you know that what food you do have is short-lived, and you have children or other family to worry about, then you know in your heart that you can't afford to sustain others as well. And you'd have to feed yourself in order to feed your children who depend on you. Food doesn't stretch for long, then it would become almost impossible to find. I see no relevance to "religion" here. Do you let your children and loved ones die slowly while trying to feed everyone else?

When hunger becomes raging enough, the desperation becomes manic enough, the body and mind loses itself into acts that we would never think we'd do. You would cannibalize ~ especially if you have others depending on you. This is the deepest of the dark side to this issue but if a meltdown lasted even only a few months, that is likely when it would start happening. (Read about the Donner Party sometime; it's chilling.)

I think there are Christians out there who would start out trying to be a little helpful, particularly to their neighbors and extended families. And then things become more scarce, so they cut back with the neighbors. At some point they'd HAVE to. Me, unlikely to share much at all.

So, frogandtoad, be hopeful that you won't have to find out the hard way!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 07:05 PM

29 posts, read 28,336 times
I recently read a series of books about mass electronic failures in the world. The families first started out as hoarders, but soon found out that cooperation was the only way to survive. They eventually went from hoarders who thought only of their families well being to a community that bartered, reduced/reused/recycled and helped the weaker who were willing to help themselves but just could not for some reason. Of course there were the idiots who just wanted to take and didn't particularly care who they took from. For that, the nice Christian folks kept guns and didn't hesitate to use them if circumstances absolutely demanded it. Read more: "Christians" and preparedness

Old 01-27-2010, 10:56 PM

171 posts, read 202,525 times
Ecc. 3:1-8 God tells us that there is a time for everything. A time for peace, a time for war. There's a time to kill and there's a time to heal. Therefore...If people were swarming my food and supplies, I'd ask God for guidance and He'd guide me.

Matt. 14:13-21 Feeding the multitudes. Jesus feeds five thousand on five loathes of bread and two fish.

If God wishes for them to be fed then He will feed them, and if it's His will that I defend myself...well...then it will happen.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:54 AM

32,994 posts, read 26,534,032 times
All a "real" Christian has to do after a disaster of this magnitude is clear his thoughts and die. Then he will be in heaven in the land of milk and honey.

Pagans like me could be counted on to put up a really good fight. If, likely when, I was killed I would go to Valhalla and have a beer with my buddies.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:05 AM

15,673 posts, read 15,076,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
So many of you seem to sure that you would meet them with violence and sound like you would have no hesitation doing so. Do you think this is really how you would feel in that situation? Not be torn about what to do? Not struggle with your decision and your religion?

I see Christians do it ever day when they are "for" war and show no compassion for the women and children who get bombed in other countries. They never think that it could be their own family sitting at the table having dinner when the bomb drops or explodes. They don't care who we kill wherever we kill them.

At least in a true survival situation it is much closer to home. No one else is going to help you if things get "that" bad. I would have no problem killing to protect my own.

If you felt you and your family were going to starve or die I'm sure most free thinking people would do anything it takes to survive. I know I would.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:31 PM

841 posts, read 990,935 times
when i used to be a christian, it would always bug me when other christians would endorse any war- to me, it always seemed that any killing of non-christians was killing potential christians. since the general goal of an evangelical religion is to gain new converts so that as many people can get to heaven as possible (per jesus' instructions), it never made sense to me that any christian could ever endorse the killing of somebody that could, potentially, become a christian sometime in the future.

when it comes down to something like survival, i don't think religion will matter much. i think that any person, no matter what religion (even buddhists!) would kill to protect themselves or their family. it's a basic human instinct common to all mankind.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 PM

32 posts, read 34,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
when i used to be a christian, it would always bug me when other christians would endorse any war- to me, it always seemed that any killing of non-christians was killing potential christians. since the general goal of an evangelical religion is to gain new converts so that as many people can get to heaven as possible (per jesus' instructions), it never made sense to me that any christian could ever endorse the killing of somebody that could, potentially, become a christian sometime in the future.
Killing babies through abortion fits with "killing non-Christians and potential Christians"....but those babies have no choice do they...The adult holding the gun, the soldier representing a terrorist country, the guy trying to break into my house, they're making a choice...

...God DID tell the Israelites to wipe out (yes kill!) the Amalekites largely because they kept invading, raiding, and plundering the Israelites stash and because they had turned from God...Saul disobeyed God's order to kill even the women and children...and the Israelites are still paying for it today...

The Destruction of the Amalekites

I believe that God gave the Law, and God gave grace (Jesus Christ)...He is God, and can be both. When someone comes knocking on my door, depending on the situation, who they are, their attitude, and a number of other factors, I'll have a decision to make...But if they attack my house unprovoked, trying to take my stock that I responsibly created, I'm pretty sure I won't be giving them grace.

I still come back to, above all of this hypothetical stuff, what other God gave up his son as a sacrifice so that all of sinful humanity could have eternal life in heaven?

A father couldn't truly permenantly turn his back on his son who's done no wrong, and one who lived life for his father. And God, who cannot bear to look at sin, let's the one person who he can't bear to turn his back on, carry the sin for all of us.

Dang it that's sinkin' cool my friends! If you don't think so, I encourage you to think about it and be open to it. Truly.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:02 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,542,161 times
Frogandtoad: Excuse me, are you congenitally retarded? What does Christianity have to do with this? This sounds like a set-up so you can self-righteously judge Christians who don't answer the way you want them to answer.

Do you hate Christians or people of faith? Why would you even pose such a ridiculous answer? What are YOUR socio/religious leanings? What would YOU do in such a circumstance?

If you're not man enough to answer these questions that you posit to others, then you shouldn't be asking them. Personally, I think you're a freak.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:48 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,828,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
In reading through a number of threads on here, one thing which comes up over and over is people saying they will shoot to kill if anyone tries to take their food/supplies if disaster strikes.

I've been wondering, and would like to hear, how those of you who consider yourselves devout Christians reconcile the idea of killing people who come to you for food, or even try to take your food, because they have not prepared, with your religion. I imagine in hard times there would be not only aggressive violent men coming to you, but ill-nourished elderly, women, and children. Would you kill them as well? Feel OK about turning them away?

So many of you seem to sure that you would meet them with violence and sound like you would have no hesitation doing so. Do you think this is really how you would feel in that situation? Not be torn about what to do? Not struggle with your decision and your religion?
I think this is a fair question along a number of dimensions. Much to ponder.

S.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:17 PM

4,980 posts, read 4,183,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivorGirlAL View Post
I recently read a series of books about mass electronic failures in the world. The families first started out as hoarders, but soon found out that cooperation was the only way to survive. They eventually went from hoarders who thought only of their families well being to a community that bartered, reduced/reused/recycled and helped the weaker who were willing to help themselves but just could not for some reason. Of course there were the idiots who just wanted to take and didn't particularly care who they took from. For that, the nice Christian folks kept guns and didn't hesitate to use them if circumstances absolutely demanded it. Read more: "Christians" and preparedness
That's the leg up us Christians have. Most of us already have a group of like minded people who we know and trust to some extent. They only way to survive TEOTWAWKI will be as a group. Those who take the lone wolf, me against the world, are doomed regardless of the arsenal they possess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness