U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 05:57 PM

216 posts, read 291,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Katrina II, tornado, earthquake, power grid failure, ice storm, panademic, or Obama elected to a second term. Lots of things to prepare for besides a Mayan calendar.
There is only one thing in your list that is of real concern that would be hard to prepare for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 06:07 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,479,028 times
Well I thought my silly picture was a little bit funny but seriously now, what I'm doing is trying to buy income producing properties both residential and commercial rentals just to boost my income for the future. For those who don't think we have a future well I guess it doesn't mater then does it.
In a day or two we're looking at another prospect. My bank tends to loan me for places that pay for themselves right away (currently occupied) and I never contract for more than ten years. These places do exist, I know, I've found a few already but it takes a lot of work seeking them out, (and they are always low end fixers).

Old 11-28-2009, 06:30 PM

9,470 posts, read 14,260,461 times
Sure, we have a future. It will just be very different from our past. This section is about personal responsibility.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:39 PM

29,682 posts, read 47,400,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsusd View Post
how about state deficits and baby boomers to retire in 2011?
???

I am a baby-boomer.

I retired in 2001.

What does 2011 have to do with anything?

Old 11-28-2009, 06:43 PM

6 posts, read 12,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
???

I am a baby-boomer.

I retired in 2001.

What does 2011 have to do with anything?

The states might run out of money: it get default on its debts.
Hope it won't be the case.
Please watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZA0q...1624&kw=dollar

If you are about to retire, you should invest a large amount of your assets in foods, tools (for farming), and gold.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:10 PM

2,556 posts, read 3,077,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
this forum is about being prepared, being prepared for some emergency or disaster that happens. sort of like an insurance policy, one that you hope you never have to use but are glad you had it in place.
Yeah yeah! It's kinda like the throngs of people who go to church on Sundays just in case hell really does exist!

Old 11-28-2009, 07:15 PM

29,682 posts, read 47,400,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsusd View Post
... If you are about to retire, you should invest a large amount of your assets in foods, tools (for farming), and gold.
With all due respect, if you looked at a person's profile here on Cd you would learn a bit more about them.

I am career military, I got my pension a few years ago.

I have 150 acres of land, I am now a hobby farmer.

While you are scrambling for: food stores, land, farm 'tools' and gold; some of us will wish you well while we enjoy yet another mug of hardcider.

Rather reminds me of a song long ago that ended with the phrase: "We just smiled and waved, sitting there on that sack of seeds".

Old 11-28-2009, 07:23 PM

10,179 posts, read 9,941,039 times
Quote:
With all due respect, if you looked at a person's profile here on Cd you would learn a bit more about them.

While you are scrambling for: food stores, land, farm 'tools' and gold; some of us will wish you well while we enjoy yet another mug of hardcider.

Rather reminds me of a song long ago that ended with the phrase: "We just smiled and waved, sitting there on that sack of seeds".

Jim Stafford. I remember it... those were kinda 'special' seeds though.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:48 PM

4,089 posts, read 4,592,818 times
It is an Ant and Grasshopper kinda' thing. The grasshopper will never understand why the ant does what he does. The cities are a metaphor for the grasshopper these days. Somebody else (the government, usually) takes care of them to the point that if it ever gets bad they won't survive.

There are three large disasters that have occurred in the past five years that have had different results. First, Katrina. We all know how it played out. Second, the Iowa floods. And finally, the ice storm of last winter. In the latter cases, while there were issues, those people proved to be quite self-reliant. There is a paper that discusses the response in Arkansas vs. Katrina, and how people responded as well as survived. Many of the people living in rural AR, TX, KS, and other states in tornado alley are good Boy Scouts. They prepare. A few days of food, a little extra fuel, wood heat, etc. Contrast this with your average city dweller who relies on close proximity of the Quick Mart of Safeway. Preparedness to me is not about politics, not about bitter people clinging to their guns, or kooks. It is about personal responsibility, and recognizing that in a disaster things might take a few weeks to get back to normal. If it takes much longer than that, most of us are doomed anyway.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:44 PM

6 posts, read 12,362 times
Quote:

Not all retired or closed to retired folks are as fortunate as you are. The next several years will be harsh for majority of them. I did not read your profile. I'm a newbie here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness