U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 10:03 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,525,044 times

Advertisements

Can someone sticky a thread to give a description on this section? I'm totally clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 10:53 PM

2,637 posts, read 3,879,052 times
Don't feel bad, lot's of folks are also. but keep reading. You'll catch on.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:02 AM

WAIT . . . . WAIT . . . .

Is this about 2012?

You absolutely gotta be kidding me. So CityData believes the world is going to end in 2 years? I cant believe this is a serious section.

I'm just shocked.

No wait, this is just probably some section just incase if a natural disaster occurred right? like floods, hurricane, earthquakes? Yes thats what this section is about. Has to be.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:32 AM

16,886 posts, read 12,536,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
WAIT . . . . WAIT . . . .

Is this about 2012?

You absolutely gotta be kidding me. So CityData believes the world is going to end in 2 years? I cant believe this is a serious section.

I'm just shocked.

No wait, this is just probably some section just incase if a natural disaster occurred right? like floods, hurricane, earthquakes? Yes thats what this section is about. Has to be.

this forum is about being prepared, being prepared for some emergency or disaster that happens. sort of like an insurance policy, one that you hope you never have to use but are glad you had it in place.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:02 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,870,497 times
It can be for anything where you want to be prepared be it 2012, total economic collapse, natural disaster or as simple as snowed in for 3-4 days or flooded roads.

There's a lot of good info in the threads. Take what you want from them and contribute your own info. Just wet your toes with food preps or jump in the deep end for survival.

We can all co-exist here if we respect what each is looking or what each is contributing to this category.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:22 AM

29,719 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Some folks live in areas that are subject to earthquakes, so it would be wise for them to prepare for such.

Other folks live in areas that are subject to hurricanes, or droughts, or tornadoes, forest fires, or black-outs.

Without getting onto the 'end-of-the-world' bandwagon, many areas are subject to various natural calamities.

Add onto that, the possibility of terrorist attack on our nation's electrical grid, or municipal water treatment plants, or inter-state-freeway system, ... and you easily have a wide selection of possible scenarios whereby it would be wise to have prepps done.

For example, some folks were predicting the housing bubble would collapse; so some folks were prepared for it, and now today their investment portfolios have not been effected. But the majority of people were effected by it.

Some folks were prepared for the stock-market crash, others were not.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:03 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,775,071 times
Quote:
Can someone sticky a thread to give a description on this section? I'm totally clueless.

Love the new thread- but it's not always...

Old 11-27-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Some folks live in areas that are subject to earthquakes, so it would be wise for them to prepare for such.

Other folks live in areas that are subject to hurricanes, or droughts, or tornadoes, forest fires, or black-outs.

Without getting onto the 'end-of-the-world' bandwagon, many areas are subject to various natural calamities.

Add onto that, the possibility of terrorist attack on our nation's electrical grid, or municipal water treatment plants, or inter-state-freeway system, ... and you easily have a wide selection of possible scenarios whereby it would be wise to have prepps done.

For example, some folks were predicting the housing bubble would collapse; so some folks were prepared for it, and now today their investment portfolios have not been effected. But the majority of people were effected by it.

Some folks were prepared for the stock-market crash, others were not.

Ok this makes a lot of sense. I now realize this place can be VERY useful. Like kinda give people the heads up.

Great post.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:26 PM

2,637 posts, read 3,879,052 times
Forewarned is forearmed.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:28 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,442,586 times
Quote:
I think this section is a "special" place for a certain group of "special" people who are often accused of wearing "special" hats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness