Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 01:42 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I've found a much more honorable and honest way to ensure that I have a plentiful supply of my meds. I ask my doctor to double up all my meds but I will still take them as he told me to. Since my doctor and I go way, way back he writes the script as I want and I take the meds the way he wants.

Getting meds by dishonest means is never as good way to go about it.

What's dishonest by paying for the second rx out of pocket? I'm not cheating the insurance company, or anyone else. Doctors simply won't prescribe antibiotics, my daughter had a fever of 104 for 3+days, they told me to give her tylenol and ride it out. Yes, I know all about the over use of antibiotics, but she hadn't had any for years. You need to look at the individual patient, not overall usage in a given area. You're lucky if you have a doctor who will actually work with you instead of being over-concerned about whatever his statistics show. Most doctors won't double up on the rx just because you ask them to, give it a try, more power to you if you can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 03:40 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,655,899 times
Antibiotics do not cure fever - they cure infection. Tylenol and Motrin are far more effective at reducing fever.

The overuse of antibiotics causes antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:26 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,671,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Here's a few tricks I've used to get a few extra doses

fill the rx at one pharmacy and use your insurance. Then call your doc and claim you lost the rx, could they call in another/ Have it called in to another pharmacy, and pay out-of-pocket. That way you have double dose to save for later, even though you had to pay for one. doctors are increasingly reluctant to prescribe antibiotics, making them hard to stockpile. Note: DON'T do this with narcotics, you could wind up with a drug charge!
Quote:
What's dishonest by paying for the second rx out of pocket? I'm not cheating the insurance company, or anyone else.
Your method uses misrepresentation and falsehoods to acquire more medications than were prescribed for you which you seem to know from your other drug warning.

That said, I doubt your doctor would look kindly on being abused that way.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:35 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
I don't have a link or any "evidence" but this is what a pharmacist told me---be very careful with expired tylenol, or any drug containing tylenol. When it get old, tylenol can cause kidney and liver damage. Problem is, is hard to tell expired tylenol except by the expiration date on the bottle---the medicine itself doesn't mainifest any outward changes, still looks, smells, and tastes the same. .
That is NOT tylenol getting old. That is tylenol.

Tylenol does tear up your organs, it has no bearing on the age of the tylenol.

My Dw Over-dosed herself by accident on Tylenol.

Organs went into shut-down, and it brought on a heart attack. She was later diagnosed with migraines. She had been treating her headaches herself with tylenol. Thinking they were 'safe' because they are OTC.

Tylenol is dangerous. Not due to it getting old, but because it is tylenol.

Read the label.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:12 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
That is NOT tylenol getting old. That is tylenol.

Tylenol does tear up your organs, it has no bearing on the age of the tylenol.

My Dw Over-dosed herself by accident on Tylenol.

Organs went into shut-down, and it brought on a heart attack. She was later diagnosed with migraines. She had been treating her headaches herself with tylenol. Thinking they were 'safe' because they are OTC.

Tylenol is dangerous. Not due to it getting old, but because it is tylenol.

Read the label.

Tylenol, taken inapprporiately (ie, overdosing) can cause kidney, liver damage, so can many drugs. However, my point was, expired Tylenol can cause such damage with a single dose, so be careful of "stocking up".

Old 12-29-2009, 03:52 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Antibiotics do not cure fever - they cure infection. Tylenol and Motrin are far more effective at reducing fever.

The overuse of antibiotics causes antibiotic resistant bacteria.
Exactly.

It's funny how patients seem to know more about medicine that doctors do

Old 12-29-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickAussie View Post
Exactly.

It's funny how patients seem to know more about medicine that doctors do
It's the reason why we have an overwhelming amount of MRSA cases. People insisting on antibiotics for a simple fever that would be MUCH better treated with tylenol.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Tylenol, taken inapprporiately (ie, overdosing) can cause kidney, liver damage, so can many drugs. However, my point was, expired Tylenol can cause such damage with a single dose, so be careful of "stocking up".
Do you have a reputable medical link to back up that statement? If anything, acetaminophen LOSES potency after expiring and causes no more damage to your liver than an unexpired dose.

If it were truly the case that expired Tylenol would cause severe liver damage with just one dose, they would have gigantic warning labels on the bottle, and it would also be easy to find that information with a simple google search.

Please leave these types of decisions up to your doctor and pharmacist.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:11 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,671,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Please leave these types of decisions up to your doctor and pharmacist.
yes, good advice for all meds.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:27 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Okay

Within the given context that ALL tylenol is capable of causing liver and kidney damage; yes expired tylenol also causes liver and kidney damage.

One tablet ever four hours is way too much of any tylenol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness