Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 06:01 PM

854 posts, read 1,978,218 times

Advertisements

lordy, where did you live? that sounds like a lot of regulations...

i've lived in some off-the-grid places and much prefer it. i feel a lot healthier in general (and maybe a little less guilty?). ultimately, i plan on returning to such a living situation, but i'm kind of in a "forced housing" situation (teaching in the bush).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 06:13 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
lordy, where did you live? that sounds like a lot of regulations...
That was when we lived in King County WA outside Seattle... they wouldn't even let me cut down my own dangerous tree without a permit, a survey and a professional arborist. That place was crazy

I much prefer where we're at now -- unorganized burough in Interior AK... no zoning, no regulations, no permits, not inspections, no taxes... ahhhhhhh bliss! I'll deal with no fire department and no police force just to have a little independence and not pay through the nose everytime I turn around

Old 01-10-2010, 07:48 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
We had our home in town Net Metered -- we we're allowed to go completely off the electric grid by zoning. We still had to pay monthly rental to have the meter, even if we were producing 100% of our electrics. They didn't pay us for surplus, and only "banked" our kWh for one year... if we produced more than we used in a year, they got free power. AND the PV set up was much more expensive due to the net metering requirements, we had to get permits ($$$) and inspections ($$$) and professional installation ($$$). YMMV with your zoning regulations.

We also couldn't get off the water grid, although we were one of the last houses in the city and county to be allowed to have septic (grandfathered in), we weren't allowed to have/use a private well or rain catchment for household water (garden & lawn only). Grey water systems were forbidden except for laundry water and even those had to be certified and permitted ($$$). Again, YMMV depending on your zoning regulatons.

We couldn't heat entirely with wood because there were often "no burn days" due to smog and air quality issues. We couldn't cook entirely with wood either, same regulation AND it was against fire regulation. Same with wood-fired hot water... plus you can barely get home owners insurance with a wood furnace, forget a wood water heater/boiler. (We could get solar HW, with an "approved system" -- again $$$)
Now that makes Vermont look libertarian and unregulated.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:47 PM

Yeah, I know, right?!?! Don't even get me started on the whole "you can't grow your garden there" deal again (you remember that one don't you ArcticHomesteader?!)

I will gladly open a vein, walk into the ocean, or kick a grizzly bear in the cajones before ever living in a big city again!!!

Old 01-11-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I know, right?!?! Don't even get me started on the whole "you can't grow your garden there" deal again (you remember that one don't you ArcticHomesteader?!)

I will gladly open a vein, walk into the ocean, or kick a grizzly bear in the cajones before ever living in a big city again!!!
Yeah, and that tree thing really stood out to me...someone could have been killed by that tree but they didn't want you taking it down.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:53 AM

390 posts, read 506,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4na View Post
If your not the handy type and want some one to do all the work for you in setting up your Off grid style of living then YES it is pricey
BUT if your resourceful and can build things and set things up and not afraid of getting your hands a little dirty then It does NOT have to be pricey ad will pay for itself quickly.
I can set up a complete Wind system with Batteries for storage enough to power a 3 bedroom house for under $500 and that's with buying the batteries new, couple that with a few solar panels and solar water heating and wood stove for under $1000 it can be done if you don't mind making some of the pieces and setting it up yourself.

SO... Whatcha gonna do? make the power conglomerates richer or spend that money on your family? The choice is yours.

can you show us the links to where you can get these solar panels that can sustain the power for a whole family in 3 br house for under $1000 (including the solar water heater and wood stove).

those standalone solar panels that operates traffic signals/messages are more than $1000 and they only keep those LED signs going.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Why anyone would want to invest their money into being on-grid and then have to pay a bill every month is beyond me!
Well if someone makes $300,000 a year at a job in Manhattan, I don't think they'd worry about a $500/month electricity bill nor would want to give up this $300k job to go live off-grid somewhere rural where they'll save $500/month but then make like $50 a week trapping animals for their fur or something.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
can you show us the links to where you can get these solar panels that can sustain the power for a whole family in 3 br house for under $1000 (including the solar water heater and wood stove).

those standalone solar panels that operates traffic signals/messages are more than $1000 and they only keep those LED signs going.
And I'm really interested in those brand new batteries for the system that are under $500... heck, our USED batteries for the small 24v system were more than that!

Old 01-18-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
Well if someone makes $300,000 a year at a job in Manhattan, I don't think they'd worry about a $500/month electricity bill nor would want to give up this $300k job to go live off-grid somewhere rural where they'll save $500/month but then make like $50 a week trapping animals for their fur or something.
You'd be surprised. Most of the wealthy people I've met have been incredibly cheap. Absolute misers. Like to pile up money and do nothing with it.

BTW: one Alaskan marten fur is worth more than $50, usually.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You'd be surprised. Most of the wealthy people I've met have been incredibly cheap. Absolute misers. Like to pile up money and do nothing with it.

BTW: one Alaskan marten fur is worth more than $50, usually.
I hope you do understand the main point of my post (which was not about the actual cost of some animal's fur). Or unless you're trying to tell me that a one person operation of trapping animals for fur in Alaska can NORMALLY gross $300k annually and consistently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness