U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 10:52 AM

1,764 posts, read 6,020,234 times

Advertisements

One thing that seems to be overlooked in conversations about self-sufficiency during difficult (although often temporary) times and general preparedness is the general fitness level of the people involved.

If you were really getting in to being ready for a situation, even if for peace of mind, you would also have to take a long hard look at your level of fitness.

I'm well aware people can muster the energy to move out smartly, but how long can you sustain that level of effort?

How fast can you walk a mile? five? ten?

How many flights of stairs can you take without a break? (even going down can get hard on unfit folks)

Have you ever carried a person 100 yards? Do you know how?

Can you swim?

Can you climb a rope over a 15' wall?

How long can you dead hang (gripping a rope or bar)?

Can you climb a 12' fence?

If you do fine day 1 becuase of adrenaline, what about day 2 or day 3?

( I don't expect anyone to answer those, and perhaps there are more that I've forgotten. Just examples for thought.)

I'm not talking about some movie-plot inspired end of civilization. I just throwing the idea out there that if we are prepared for the difficult times life may throw our way (storm, quake, fire, manmade, etc), we have to know how our fitness level may become a factor. If we know we're going to need help, we need to ID that help ahead of time. If we know we're plenty strong, we have to determine who we're going to help and how much, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 11:09 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,204,796 times
I agree, your overall fitness and health will be the foundation for survival.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:08 PM

300 posts, read 561,144 times
Excellent post - all the survival gear & preparedness knowledge in the world will not serve you well if you can't move rapidly & reliably, or if you don't have the strength to do the manual tasks necessary to survive over a protracted period of time.

A good New Years resolution that we should stick to & not toss aside a few weeks into the new year!!

Old 12-30-2009, 03:50 AM

744 posts, read 1,002,400 times
Great post. I know it got me thinking. As a former Marine I know what I used to be capable of, but you got me thinking about what I may need to be able to do. I am putting down my honey bun and preparing.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:39 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,088,801 times
+ 10, Great post, this is something most people don't think about at all.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:47 PM
YAZ

6,996 posts, read 10,743,153 times
Ya know, if your body is in good working order, then your mind tends to follow.

Something to strive for in these tough times...

Old 12-30-2009, 04:39 PM

8,957 posts, read 15,833,148 times
I'm glad this topic got posted. It does no good to have all the best survival gear in the world if you are so outta shape you can't use them .

It also means the old, the handicapped and the disabled are in real trouble.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:56 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,204,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I'm glad this topic got posted. It does no good to have all the best survival gear in the world if you are so outta shape you can't use them .

It also means the old, the handicapped and the disabled are in real trouble.
Perhaps the more fit (mentally and physically) people that are out there, the more that can help those who cannot help themselves.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:39 AM

1,764 posts, read 6,020,234 times
mongoslade - that was one of my points for thought. It is much easier to provide help for others, even in the short term, like an evacuation or storm, if you've thought about who you can help (co-worker, neighbor). Or, if you're capable of helping someone but have your hands full with your own family, it's time to have a conversation about it with someone who may think you're going to help them. Also, if you know you need help (evacuate the building at work, get down the road from a storm, etc.) there's nothing wrong with finding that help in advance -- and maybe a back up.

I know a sense of old-timey "community" often breaks out during adversity, but we can't always count on it.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:53 AM

206 posts, read 242,694 times
I say, take up an activity and/or sport that you really enjoy. Running is good, but it won't help your gripping strength for that wall climb. More optimum would be a martial art b/c it would serve a dual (or many) purpose.....getting you fit while teaching you how to fight/defend yourself. You'll also be very alert in a confrontational situation.

Now we're getting into the debate on which martial art is most effective. They all will help with your cardio, agility, etc.

Based on many of the items posted by the OP, I would say that Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu will help you cover not only basic benefits (cardio, agility, strength, etc.) but also many of the obscured abilities such as climbing fences, gripping, etc.... b/c there's a lot of emphasis on gripping strength, crawling, acrobatics, etc. And most BJJ schools also teaches Muay Thai for standup fighting.

Try it here, Jiujitsu Maryland Jiu Jitsu Virginia - Washington DC - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Thai Boxing - Capoeira for adults and children (I can hook you up for a free week trial).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness