Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:34 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing this has been mentioned here somewhere, but just giving you "self-sufficientists" a heads up that the history channel has a great show for self-prepardness in the event of anarchy. On again at 11pm central time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:39 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,746 times
Another good new one is "Off the Grid" on Planet Green (Sundance Channel also has an Off the Grid but I think it's a series of documentary films). I also enjoy "Blood, Sweat and Takeaways" a new show on that same channel, but it's more about sustainable food supply chains and showing some posh kids where their food really comes from, by having them work in SE Asia.

I started to watch the show on History, but turned it after the intro. :-(

Old 01-06-2010, 07:17 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Watching Apocalypse Man now. Only problem I see is he isn't armed. Good urban survival skills though.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 PM

228 posts, read 483,224 times
What scary looking city is Rudy Reyes in? I thought it was Detroit but the car he was driving had Wisconsin plates. Is it Milwaukee or something?

Old 01-07-2010, 10:22 AM

I watched that one last night. I think the one I posted about earlier is another show. So many starting with "Apocalypse." I think it's in Detroit, but I didn't look it up. I'll be up there in a week or so, lol.

Anyway, I'm not going to call out Rudy Reyes. His credentials and fitness level seem to speak volumes for him, but damn, can't we have a show without all the fake DRAMA? My biggest problem is him jumping around, over and off things for no reason. I promise you he was not trained to do that. I would NEVER randomly jump over a counter in an abandonded building. I would never randomly jump off small ledges and whatnot. It's all for show, but it's a good way to get hurt badly. It's also wasted energy -- he reminds me of Mad TV's "Stuart" character -- "Look what I can do."

I just think there's a better way to present the information to those interested without all the high drama, but I'm sure they know the target market and made it a high-school drama club situation for a reason.

I also have a different opinion about "contacting others", but I'll keep that to myself since it's clear he's going to use that as a part of his strategy.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:39 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
What better way to thin the population than with dis-information?

I'd bet that most ,if not all, real deal survival trained people would do half the stuff these shows will tell us is good to to.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:06 PM

Most "real" traning is boring and repeating tasks until they are muscle memory so that when you're cold, tired, starving and under incredible emotional strain, you can do what you need to do.

For an example of just how boring it is, watch some of the "defense" shows on the "Outdoor Channel." They'll take a whole 30 minute show to explain the simple task of entry threat while home alone. Then the next episode is 30 minutes to explain the simple task of entry threat while home with a loved one. Not very entertaining, but it may be a better way to share information. The main mantra of their "defense" shows is "practice this over and over and over." Good on 'em for that.

And I agree with the poster on the other thread who quoted Zombieland "Rule #1 Cardio" -- LOL

Old 01-08-2010, 07:02 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
The advice on that show would get people killed. Just like Man vs. Wild.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:24 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
I'm guessing this has been mentioned here somewhere, but just giving you "self-sufficientists" a heads up that the history channel has a great show for self-prepardness in the event of anarchy. On again at 11pm central time.
Great show? Well I guess the "experts" did give a few tips..Very few. I can't believe people are really as stupid as the family protrayed........

P.S. If your in the desert and are thirsty you really can tap a cactus for some liquid.
P.P.S. If you have to shot someone don't drop your gun and don't leave the dead bad guys AR behind......

Old 01-08-2010, 08:53 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Great show? Well I guess the "experts" did give a few tips..Very few. I can't believe people are really as stupid as the family protrayed........

P.S. If your in the desert and are thirsty you really can tap a cactus for some liquid.
P.P.S. If you have to shot someone don't drop your gun and don't leave the dead bad guys AR behind......
The show is for beginners. (i.e. familys who have not planned for the inevidable)

The Family portrayed is a normal American family, obviously that guy was a ***** and had no plan of action. The show was to give some quick insight to the general population as to what they can expect in the years to come. To be politically correct, they portrayed a catastrophie that was a disease when in fact we all know it will be the fall of the dollar.

Anyway, I hope you at least gathered something from the show. I do understand it was rather elememtary for some of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness