Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 08:22 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

Well, there's my CD and record collection (I got a large supply of rechargeable batteries, a solar charger, I could come up with other ways...). Part of my record collection is early 78 rpm records that can be played on some wind-ups I have (no power needed). There's my piano. I'd love a player piano as my playing isn't too good anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 08:50 PM

21 posts, read 74,815 times
Guns, guns and more guns with plenty of ammunition. When anarchy erupts, only those who had sense enough to arm themselves will survive. The rest of the population will become predators and attempt to take all that you have, (shelter, food, water, etc.) and if you cannot effectively defend these things, you will become a victim. A harmonica or a deck of cards will not be of much use.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:38 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolrunning View Post
Guns, guns and more guns with plenty of ammunition. When anarchy erupts, only those who had sense enough to arm themselves will survive. The rest of the population will become predators and attempt to take all that you have, (shelter, food, water, etc.) and if you cannot effectively defend these things, you will become a victim. A harmonica or a deck of cards will not be of much use.
Guns are necessary but people with nothing to do tend to get crazy.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:34 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolrunning View Post
I would challenge your perception of "defense" real fast.

You'll need at least 10 people for half-decent 24 hour security.
They all need to be trained.
You need serious tactical advantages designed into the area you will try to defend.

Even with all that, you'll run out of food or water or ammo real quick. And you won't get any help from anyone near you because you've been busy shooting people.

Plus, you go off half cocked and shoot the wrong dude, his buds may just come back and light fire to your place just for fun. Just think for a second how easy it is to smoke you out of just about any modern residence.

My point is, it will not be "Mad Max" -- at least not for very long, and even if it is, you can't make it without several well-trained people pulling 24 hr 360 degree security. Even then, you probably can't defend against malicious fire (unless you live in an underground bunker).

IF you want to play survivor with guns and ammo, your only reasonable hope is to be in a place so remote that you won't ever see someone you don't know and trust.

If anything ever does melt it all down (and I seriously doubt it will), the survivors will be resilient communities who share everything, including a common defense and common "entertainment."

We need to thrive, not just "survive."

Old 01-24-2010, 09:17 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
I have a couple iPods. Too many books & my camera.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:49 PM

32 posts, read 56,506 times
This is an excellent individual and/or group activity. It's very inexpensive that all ages can do. It also has built in challenge in that one can ALWAYS improve. Watch the videos. On one, you will especially see one boy practicing and how addictive it gets. You can see how he keeps trying to get faster and faster and faster. It's almost frustrating when you are the one doing it because you KNOW you could do it faster. Built in challenges are awesome!

Also, it's AWESOME for not only fine motor skills, but also for keeping the mind stimulated and sharp. There is lots of research out there supporting the concept of "crossing the midline" of the body and it's many benefits psychologically as well as physically.

Our family has a great time doing this for fun. Each set of cups is about $15. There are unlimited types of patterns and ways to stack. A DVD comes with each set. We do various types of relays with larger groups. It's a blast!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DLBl...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q395-...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMhym1sc-RY

Do a google search for SPEED STACKING for more info and where to get them.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:01 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
For real rural dwelling? Real SHTF?

Tools and paints of some sort.

With a coping saw you run by hand, any branch is checker pieces and any oil in fire charcoal is black paint, Many earth colors just are, and can be ground finer. I use yellow and red iron oxide and my wife still has a rolled canvass checker board she painted in the mid 90's when we did live off the land.

I made another game which is old. You need a wood bowl, some carved animal heads about 1/4 thick and 3/4 inch tall, and round counters like checkers. It makes a gambling game. i am not sure the thread is current, but the rules can be told if it is. I carved them and then burned them into the bottom of the bowl. I ain't tellin' what we gambled for

For the game above you also need counters of 10 or 12 which makes a round as the points are added up to win. Anything can work, like twiggs, as compared to pebbles, My wife made clay beads a lot like a marble and painted them, but these can be strung. I use elk ivories (teeth) because i had them.

I made 2 set of small dominos too. I have one set and my wife has the other. These took a long time and were made of junk piano keys. My wifes set has sterling wire spinners.

The tooling for these was the coping saw, a small clamp vise that clamps to a board, or 2x4, some files, a hand drill (hand crank type) and a American Wire gauge tool, made to tell wire sizes.

With that tool in the vise and extra ebony sawn the long way to be squares, which became smaller squares again, then passed thru the wire gauge over and over untill round almost tooth pick like dowels were made.

With more hide glue the real stuff since i made it, I glued the ivory back on the eboney, since the orginal glue had come loose.

My wife made cards of paints and canvass. I am not sure if we still have them or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness