U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:22 PM

180,177 posts, read 74,539,753 times

Advertisements

What happens happens. Hurricane season will be over so nothing special prepared at my house except maybe plans for Christmas dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 06:15 PM

9,897 posts, read 9,828,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
How do you know.
Climate science is based on assumptions and the mistaken idea that the climate has been and is supposed to be a constant.

The idea that the sun will eventually burn out is based on observation and common sense: We see it happening in the cosmos; but even more a matter of common sense is the idea that if you start a ball of hydrogen and other gasses on fire, the fuel is being burned and will eventually be used up. Sort of like throwing a log on a fire--eventually the log is burned up. And, we have no more 'logs' to throw on the sun.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:49 PM

112 posts, read 121,370 times
bit off topic but Oh God this sounds like that 2000 new millenium bug thing... were people thought all the computers wud get fkd up and go wrong and theyd be chaos but nothing happened lol. I do believe eventually everything will go **** up but not for 100s years at least over population and no natural resources left, but i dont really believe anything bad will happen in a couple of years.

tbh i dont understand how such a primitive civilisation such as the Mayans had such reliable ways of predicting these things? predicting means exactly that predicting, estimating nothing is sure its pretty much an informed Geuss so dont go getting your panties in a twist worrying about it.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,196,900 times
ChrisC is right in that one day earth may be here with no sun or gone since the sun will expand and take earth inside that radius. If man still exisits then and no where else, man will be gone. One day this will happen, but not close to anyone alive todays' time.

As to Dec 21, 2012, what to do depends on what happens. I don't think anyone knows if anything will happen.

If say we take a hit from a very large space rock, you might not want to live if the earth flashes a fire globally and then it is winter for 50 years. In that case i for one would end my life if i lived thru the initial blast and fire.

Life after that with a dust cloud causing eternal winter means starvation, just about no matter how you look at it.

If man goes nuts and causes a nuke war, I would feel about the same way. Then you can't eat since anything you would eat is suspect to radiation poisoning. So you eat and get really sick, or you starve. I don't like either choice. Bang good night.

If it were a matter of something like Yellow Stone going BOOM in a big way there would be massive problems at ground 0 to maybe 1,500 miles around that area, and then ash fall down wind, but it might not shadow the entire world, so some segment of man and other life could survive, depending on what stores are saved away. This would depend on what you have, more than who you are because if I lived no price would buy a loaf of bread.

Probably in the yellow stone case all stores around the world would be raped of any supplies with in 1 hours notice. A darkness would come forth like man has never seen and it could be winter for 5 or more years, allowing only certain plants to surive. That would mean a select few animals survived, and would leave a lot of people to fate and starvation.

The medically needy would be amoung the first to die, leaving the strongest and fittest only. Of them only the mentally most fit would survive as depression is a real killer.

Probably most Americans would die quickly, because we as a group have no surival instincts to speak of, and so 3rd would peoples would do better since things would be very basic and they are used to it now. They live that way, and have no means to cater to fashions, and have learned how to not waste.

With so many dead laying about, diseases would get the strongest. So even yellow stone would be grim to live past for me.

Hurricanes and Tsunamis are too small and too local to be a world global threat, unless a new type of storm happens to occur like maybe 20 katrina's at once, in a single storm. About all that can do is wreck the so-called economy on a coutry sized level, but man would live just fine most other places not local.

It just depends on what if anything as I see things. I grow much of my own food, so a really bad time would be at just before harvest for me. I can't miss the harvest and go past that till the next harvest. Not the way I live now anyway. I might make it to the 2nd harvest by woodland skills, but that would change how i live to the 3rd world level, which I can deal with.

When someone knows what will happen be sure to let me know.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 PM

9,897 posts, read 9,828,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
As to Dec 21, 2012, what to do depends on what happens. I don't think anyone knows if anything will happen.
I think this is the key. What I believe will happen or not happen doesn't really matter at all because I don't know. None of us do. People seem to be really polarized on this; some say it's bull, others are scared to death--but none of them know. Bad things happen. Good things happen. It doesn't follow our schedule or beliefs.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,196,900 times
Well, Chris I sure don't know if the sun will come up like every other day I knew or not. My plan is to party, just incase it doesn't. I can deal with a good hangover if I deserve it.

If nothing changes much I will continue to live the way i do, and if it all goes to hell in a hand basket, i will decide what is best to do then. If it really nasty and global I will talk with my wife and son a while and check us out.. If it is 3rd world living I can handle that. I have 3 years living off the land now, so I know I can do it again.

I am not the type to panic. As a very rural dweller I create most of what we eat from one harvest to the next. My season has started with maple sugaring now, nearly done for the season I guess, but I have syrup from 08, 09, and more now.

Soon the garden will be tended too, and I will look for more work, being I have some but need more always. Some years back deaths by murders and death by natural causes with in my family unit were a bit much, and I lost any fear of death, so that for atleast me isn't any problem, however I am in no hurry. I won'rt suffer a toxic death by man made causes, nor winter for 50 years, as starving isn't high on my list of 'to do'. I must say I am fascinated by the prophecy, of it all.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:56 PM

3,111 posts, read 6,683,414 times
So first it's the Mayan calendar, and now it's the heating of the Earth's crust??

You know what I plan on doing that day? Waiting for the next day, so I can make fun of everyone posting this nonsense. And if it does happen? Then I will die with the rest of the world, end of story.

For those prepping for the end of the world...what makes you special? These paranoid people are wasting their lives worrying about an event that has a .0000001 chance of occurring, if that, yet you could get hit by a bus tomorrow.

Have fun with that. I'm sorry to hear your life revolves around some far-fetched scenario, sold to you by mass media (The History Channel).

If I die, I die. A real survivor doesn't need food storage, a cache of weapons, and whatever other bulls*it you pseudo-survivalists are persuaded to buy.

In conclusion, I don't dismiss anything. Yes, things are not great in many areas of life, but some of you people need to get a grip on reality.

See you on Dec. 22~!

Old 03-25-2010, 06:13 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,456,802 times
Y'all just aren't right in the head.

You're sitting around waiting for the end. Life is short any way you look at it. And none of us are getting out of here alive.

I could walk out my front door and get hit by a bus today. Or I could live to be 112 years old.

You have all these end of times predictions....here's mine: You are going to be sitting on your front porch at 90 years old regretting that you spent even one day worrying about this.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:45 AM

8,668 posts, read 19,818,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post

You're sitting around waiting for the end. Life is short any way you look at it. And none of us are getting out of here alive.

I could walk out my front door and get hit by a bus today. Or I could live to be 112 years old.

You have all these end of times predictions....here's mine: You are going to be sitting on your front porch at 90 years old regretting that you spent even one day worrying about this.
Tend to agree here. As a Christian, I believe in what Jesus said about the end of time, not the Mayan calendar or anything like that. Basically, he said no man knows the day and hour of his return which will signal the end of life here as we know it.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:17 AM

42 posts, read 140,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
How do you know. Theycan't even predict the number of hurricanes with nay accuracy. A scientist speaks and people believe it based on theory.If its not scientist theories its a miove.Based about on the same facts really.

You're absoulutely right, and its the same group of people who said that in 2000 airplanes would fall out of the sky and the world would end...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness