U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 02:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 56,022,070 times

Advertisements

Things going on just seems like maybe the earth crust is heating.

Not since 1812 MIP at closing and financed

Earthquake in Haiti hasnt happen in a couple of decades

Earthquake in Chili

all this has happen with last couple of months

I am in the Carolinas according to this history channel video
the Carolinas are at risk.

I have a Grandmother that lives on the western side of the
Appalachians and I thought I could return to the way her and
my late grandfather lived . THe mountains would shield me from any
Tsunami. There house is by a creek (water source) & well water
They have barn I could raise chickens and lots of land to garden on.
If more earthquakes are more frequent do you think in
March of 2012 is a good time to start moving there and start the garden

YouTube - History Channel - 2012 and Earth Changes (Part 1 of 3)

YouTube - History Channel - 2012 and Earth Changes (Part 2 of 3)

YouTube - History Channel - 2012 and Earth Changes (Part 3 of 3)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 04:52 PM

1,470 posts, read 3,041,756 times
what makes you think you would survive 12/21/2012?... the what ifs are pretty good odds 99% of humanity wouldnt live thru it....
now I admit to believing in the Mayan Calander and some of the things predicted but .. can deal with an ending if it comes .. so what makes you think your gonna survive it?

Old 03-22-2010, 06:27 PM

14,810 posts, read 13,160,708 times
2012 may or may not bring the world to its knees. Nevertheless, it is wise to always be prepared for the unexpected by having emergency supplies on hand. FEMA and the Red Cross have advised people for decades to do just this. How far you want to carry it is your own choice.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:36 PM

9,042 posts, read 9,412,037 times
I'm all for being prepared for emergencies, natural disaster, war, famine, civil unrest, social collapse, etc. But, really, if all you are preparing for is 2012, and it goes down the way the doomsdayers are predicting, there is no point. None of us will make it no matter how prepared our fortress may be. Again, I'm not discouraging you from preparedness--just prepare for something that is survivable. So, rather than thinking about meteors striking a block away, or the earth spinning out of it's orbit, think more along the lines of 'if the grocery store ran out of food, what would I eat?' or 'if there were social chaos tomorrow, do I have a plan of escape or survival?' or 'what if an earthquake hit tomorrow?'

Old 03-23-2010, 03:36 AM

9,932 posts, read 11,576,418 times
Sunny-Like the others have said it won't matter where you have your kayak docked on 12/21/2012, because when the Sun, the Earth, and the giant black hole in our galaxy line up, the mantel will be sucked off the Earth.

At least that's what my old man says. I'm actually okay with this scenario. Everything and everybody gone in a flash. Oh well, like Neil Young says..."It's better to burn out than fade away!"

Old 03-23-2010, 07:36 AM

14,810 posts, read 13,160,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I'm all for being prepared for emergencies, natural disaster, war, famine, civil unrest, social collapse, etc. But, really, if all you are preparing for is 2012, and it goes down the way the doomsdayers are predicting, there is no point. None of us will make it no matter how prepared our fortress may be. Again, I'm not discouraging you from preparedness--just prepare for something that is survivable. So, rather than thinking about meteors striking a block away, or the earth spinning out of it's orbit, think more along the lines of 'if the grocery store ran out of food, what would I eat?' or 'if there were social chaos tomorrow, do I have a plan of escape or survival?' or 'what if an earthquake hit tomorrow?'
This is good advice. If you are going to prepare for a disaster, prepare with food (including food for pets), water, tools, utensils, shelter, warm clothing, fuel, medical supplies (basic first aid materials), soap (you'll want it), flashlights and batteries, a way to communicate, transportation and barter items. Have a basic plan and discuss with your family how you plan to get through it.

If you live in a large city, survival plans are likely to be different than if you live in a rural area. You may want to get out of Dodge fast in the event of a big disaster and if this be the case, have a plan in place and some basic supplies packed and ready to "grab and go". Some call this their BOB ("bug out bag"). I like "GAG bag" (grab and go).

The point is to not wait until the shelves are bare to start getting ready for a disaster.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:51 PM

9,932 posts, read 11,576,418 times
Sorry for the mix up, that was supposed to be...the "mantle" will be sucked off the earth on 12/21/2012.

Carry on!

Old 03-24-2010, 10:50 AM

42 posts, read 137,280 times
enough with the 2012 crap, The Mayans never disappeared... Today, the Mayans and their descendants form sizable populations throughout the Maya area and maintain a distinctive set of traditions and beliefs that are the result of the merger of pre-Columbian and post-Conquest ideas and cultures...and guess what, they made a new calendar AFTER 2012.. the earth will always be here and there will always be people on the earth...

Old 03-24-2010, 01:58 PM

9,042 posts, read 9,412,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiff21xy View Post
the earth will always be here and there will always be people on the earth...
Not true. The sun will eventually go 'red giant,' etc, and finally cease to exist. No sun=no life on earth. Just sayin'.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:57 PM

48,522 posts, read 78,452,163 times
How do you know. Theycan't even predict the number of hurricanes with nay accuracy. A scientist speaks and people believe it based on theory.If its not scientist theories its a miove.Based about on the same facts really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or