Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 09:36 PM

713 posts, read 3,438,412 times

Advertisements

Most companies train you to get a Class A and are a lot cheaper than going with a training school. Sadly I have 2 years to go before I am 21 years old and can get a CDL A -sign- Would be nice but can't really enjoy the sites when you have been driving 12 hours straight lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 09:45 PM

337 posts, read 663,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepared4Anything View Post
I was hoping members could provide their tips and opinion for preparing for a mobile lifestyle. To better define what I mean by that is living and being houseless for an indefinite period of time in a urban environment. The idea would be to function and live as close to normal life as possible but using resources such as gyms, libraries, restaurants, and parks to offset time that would normally would have been spent at a house. This would be even better if shared from a female's perspective.

Right now, my basic considerations is that all of my stuff would be placed in storage and replaceable items sold. I would join a 24-hour gym for exercise and showering purposes. A lock-box would be set up for valuables. The SUV would provide room to carry things I would need on me routinely. I already have proper identification (yes, I am a US citizen) and a mail arrangement in place. I am considering taking a self-defense class. Laundry and dry clean services are readily accessible.

Note: Living with someone (family/friends) would not be an option. I believe a shelter could lead to greater hazard; so as of right now, that is not an option.

I am about 50% sure that this may have to happen but will not know definitely for a few weeks. I am just trying to figure out if it does have to happen how can I make this as smooth, safe, and less-stressful as possible. Anyone's candid experience would be great.
I have lived this life for better part of 5yrs now, that is until recently I decided to put some roots down.

As for what it will take for u to make this happen. Nothing but u putting the plan into action.

I too bought a fully loaded Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition as it would serve as my home office and transportation etc. I traveled the entire east coast staying all over and nowhere.

I came into a large sum of money and realize more now than ever if I want to live this way it would not only allow me to save/invest money faster and secure my future kids lives as well.

It is very exciting and fun, but there is some danger to it as well. So if you are a woman it can be even more so for yourself, taking a self defense class is great idea, and investing in a few weapons would be smart to, stun guns, small pistol, pepper spray etc.

OH to Add a bit I was living in a nice condo in Miami Fl and had brand new furniture, a 60' projection TV 2 cats, a house full of furniture.

I new selling would take a while so when the urge hit me and I couldn't stand it any longer I opened my door knocked on the various neighbors doors and said have at it. Many were hesitant I had one even call the Police cause she thought I'd broken in or was a disgruntled ex trying to get back at his ex.

Within a couple hours all was gone except my 2 furry babies and I was off.

Last edited by chanceryan; 04-18-2010 at 09:57 PM..

Old 04-18-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Beware the dreaded driver license. All of them must have a physical address for each person, rather than a Post Office Box. So, if there is no physical address that you can give the good people at the DMV, there is going to be an obstacle.
Not true w/ regards to the DL. I've had one in both fl and nc w/ PO Box's listed on them. At very least they will give u a state id no matter your phys local, as it's state law or every states law to have a valid state id on u at all times.

This is how cops are allowed to harass the homeless or transients.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
You do know that millions of people are living like this everyday, there called truck drivers, Its a great way to see the country and get paid well too.
why not just get your class A CDL and hire on with a national company.

bill
Hey Good Idea Bill. But got a sneaking suspicion the OP is wanting to drop off the grid.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:17 AM

660 posts, read 1,540,651 times
I had considered such a lifestyle, but at this point in my life it is not a priority. If I were younger (and no children) or older (and tired of the "mortgage" game) I would give it a go. It's got to be cheaper than renting a place, or (again) paying a mortgage, but at what price? I'm sure it has to be more lonely than truck driving, where most of those guys (and gals) actually have a place they call home when they are not driving (or otherwise on the road). I think the perfect situation for someone wanting to go mobile is having a vehicle large enough to hold a bed and "office", decent on gas mileage, RELIABLE. I can't help but think of $$$ that could be saved on living like this.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:02 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfMe View Post
I had considered such a lifestyle, but at this point in my life it is not a priority. If I were younger (and no children) or older (and tired of the "mortgage" game) I would give it a go. It's got to be cheaper than renting a place, or (again) paying a mortgage, but at what price? I'm sure it has to be more lonely than truck driving, where most of those guys (and gals) actually have a place they call home when they are not driving (or otherwise on the road). I think the perfect situation for someone wanting to go mobile is having a vehicle large enough to hold a bed and "office", decent on gas mileage, RELIABLE. I can't help but think of $$$ that could be saved on living like this.
I pay no rent, no taxes on property, no bills (except gas for the car). I bought a bicycle so I can bike to work. My monthly bills are cell phone, car insurance, food, and gym. Sometimes if I feel like I'm spending too much, I just eat, workout, and read books. If I limit the amount of debauchery, I can go 5-10 years without any income (if necessary).

But the real reason for wanting to live a mobile lifestyle: the freedom. I can visit any city, find a job (or not), hang around for a while, then move on. There is no rush. There are few worries.

To some the travel bug has bitten. Others see it as a disease. To each their own.

Last edited by johnnytang24; 04-19-2010 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: I certainly wouldn't try this if I had children.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:51 AM

660 posts, read 1,540,651 times
How much do you pay into things like fuel, vehicle upkeep and repair, insurance, etc? How do you "cook out" or do you always just eat fast food (expensive) or eat out (more expensive)? And, what happens if you roam to some town or city and find you are NOT able to find a job to even pay for the fuel on your vehicle?

Old 04-19-2010, 03:18 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
While I was roaming, I never found anywhere that I couldn't find something to do to get at least one tank of gas and a meal. It wasn't always the most pleasant work -- mucking stables, cleaning storm drains, etc -- but most people either want to help or want you out of their town as fast as possible. Either way, you get gas and a little something to eat. The key is not to ask too much from any one person and be willing to do whatever crap job they offer you with a smile (that makes it much nicer if you have to go back there!). "You need someone to brushcut your back field? Sure, I can do that for you if you can spare a few bucks/tank of gas/hot meal & shower. Thanks for the opportunity!"

I never had to resort to prostitution either... just in case you were wondering.

You might consider either a van or a tow-along/pop-up trailer and hitting the campgrounds and state/national parks for safer places to sleep than parked right out on some street. Self-defense and pepper spray are helpful, but not sticking out like a target/victim works even better... don't advertise or be of interest and most people/criminals will leave you alone. If you're storing anything that might be the least bit tempting to a theif in your vehicle, either keep it in the trunk or buy one of the SUV/Vans that has under-floor storage bins... do whatever it takes to make sure your vehicle does NOT look like you live in it and don't park in the same place long or frequently.

Several larger towns/cities have laundromats with showers and internet access. Definitely check out the larger truck stops... they almost always have showers if you're on the road. If you're staying in town, then the gym is probably your best bet. If you're at a campsite, most of them have facilities open most of the year (some do close in winter if you're northern).

Cooking and food prep isn't too hard. Eating a lot of fruit and veg works well - minimal cooking. Learning to cook on your engine hobo-style also works... go to the store, buy some potatoes and onion and small package of chicken (legs and thighs work best), wrap that up in foil and stick it on your engine, then drive around until you can smell it through the vents... voila! dinner is served. Also, they have 12v battery-operated fridge/coolers that you can keep things like yogurt, cheese and lunchmeat cold in, they aren't that expensive and as long as you have a place that you can charge your battery you can eat sandwiches and cereal everyday if you had to. There are also briefcase-sized propane/alcohol camp stoves that work really well and don't require a lot of room... as long as you don't use them all the time, buying the bottles of fuel isn't that expensive (certainly cheaper than eating out all the time). You can cook/heat canned food right in the can, so you really only need one pot for boiling water and a small fry pan.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:16 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
While I was roaming, I never found anywhere that I couldn't find something to do to get at least one tank of gas and a meal. It wasn't always the most pleasant work -- mucking stables, cleaning storm drains, etc -- but most people either want to help or want you out of their town as fast as possible. Either way, you get gas and a little something to eat. The key is not to ask too much from any one person and be willing to do whatever crap job they offer you with a smile (that makes it much nicer if you have to go back there!). "You need someone to brushcut your back field? Sure, I can do that for you if you can spare a few bucks/tank of gas/hot meal & shower. Thanks for the opportunity!"

I never had to resort to prostitution either... just in case you were wondering.

You might consider either a van or a tow-along/pop-up trailer and hitting the campgrounds and state/national parks for safer places to sleep than parked right out on some street. Self-defense and pepper spray are helpful, but not sticking out like a target/victim works even better... don't advertise or be of interest and most people/criminals will leave you alone. If you're storing anything that might be the least bit tempting to a theif in your vehicle, either keep it in the trunk or buy one of the SUV/Vans that has under-floor storage bins... do whatever it takes to make sure your vehicle does NOT look like you live in it and don't park in the same place long or frequently.

Several larger towns/cities have laundromats with showers and internet access. Definitely check out the larger truck stops... they almost always have showers if you're on the road. If you're staying in town, then the gym is probably your best bet. If you're at a campsite, most of them have facilities open most of the year (some do close in winter if you're northern).

Cooking and food prep isn't too hard. Eating a lot of fruit and veg works well - minimal cooking. Learning to cook on your engine hobo-style also works... go to the store, buy some potatoes and onion and small package of chicken (legs and thighs work best), wrap that up in foil and stick it on your engine, then drive around until you can smell it through the vents... voila! dinner is served. Also, they have 12v battery-operated fridge/coolers that you can keep things like yogurt, cheese and lunchmeat cold in, they aren't that expensive and as long as you have a place that you can charge your battery you can eat sandwiches and cereal everyday if you had to. There are also briefcase-sized propane/alcohol camp stoves that work really well and don't require a lot of room... as long as you don't use them all the time, buying the bottles of fuel isn't that expensive (certainly cheaper than eating out all the time). You can cook/heat canned food right in the can, so you really only need one pot for boiling water and a small fry pan.

Regarding your first paragraph-----I am a trusting person, but no way in heck would I let a complete stranger into my house for a meal and allow him to take a shower.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:07 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
I only get oil changes for my van, and it has 170,000 miles on it. I change the air filter every 10,000. I'll probably have the mechanic do the next big service. So service/insurance-wise, it's the same cost as any other vehicle. I have a little portable charcoal grill I use occasionally, but I also have a 5-day cooler, eat lots of things that can be eaten raw, or the $5 rotisserie chickens are a real steal. The biggest problem for me is not cooking, but cleaning up afterwards.

I do one load of laundry a week -- when you have very little space, dirty laundry takes up a lot of room. I've used the truck stop showers; they are clean and private, but expensive! If you don't fill up on diesel, they usually run about $10/shower. A national gym membership can be had for $30/month. So I shower at the gym.

As far as not being able to find a job, I'm lucky enough to not be living paycheck-to-paycheck, but I suspect I could easily find one working door somewhere if I had too. Working bar, cleaning, etc, there's all sorts of under the table jobs out there that one can take. I think as long as you're clean and dress presentable, finding a job isn't so hard, especially some of the menial jobs where the average applicant doesn't make that effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness