Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:22 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,270,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It depends on your temperament. Long ago, I was a professional musician and was on the road constantly. At the time, I loved it and wouldn't have had it any other way. But now, at this point in my life, I don't know that I'd be so keen on it.

An earlier post mentioned loneliness. I think that could be a factor for many people--personally, being alone has never bothered me. I could go months without making contact with anyone and be fine with it--but that's just me. Some people need constant, meaningful interaction. If you are like that, you probably won't enjoy being on the road.

I'm pretty much the same way (of not being lonely).

Although I'm a 'musician,' I've never toured.

For me it wouldn't be loneliness it would be the hassle of setting up a tour, driving, the cost, etc. Also I have a wife now and I think that would be difficult to manage in itself.

I think if I were back in my early 20's and I had the means or just the guts, I'd think about 'back packing' through the US.

I think the most taxing part would be the driving and perhaps being a bit bored, but I don't think lonely would cross my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 03:32 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,242 times
What a ghastly thought. No roots, no routine, no connection to HOME in the traditional sense.

Besides, where would I plant my garden and coop my chickens???

Old 04-29-2010, 04:06 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,861,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
For years I've wanted to just leave this rat race and just travel the country. I see all these retiree's traveling together w/ their special someones in their Winnebago's and they look so happy all the time.

I'm in my mid 30's and have had one career already and have recently begun to line up going for my 2nd career, but have considered doing this travel the US thing first cause I've got the itch so bad.

I live off interest from some investments so making money in places shouldn't be an issue.

Just want to hear from those that have or are living it, what's the life story of someone living this life?

Thanks

Chance
My family did it in europe,three of us in a 26' motorhome,worked out fine.
You learn how to wash clothes by hand,how to buy enough groceries for just a few days,how to conserve water and to enjoy each others company.

We had mopeds to get around on so we didn't have to take the RV everywhere,basically parked it and then rode.

I would do it if I was in your position,not needing money you should have no worries there.

Much better than working your life away.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:55 PM

3,039 posts, read 4,998,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I'm pretty much the same way (of not being lonely).

Although I'm a 'musician,' I've never toured.

For me it wouldn't be loneliness it would be the hassle of setting up a tour, driving, the cost, etc. Also I have a wife now and I think that would be difficult to manage in itself.

I think if I were back in my early 20's and I had the means or just the guts, I'd think about 'back packing' through the US.

I think the most taxing part would be the driving and perhaps being a bit bored, but I don't think lonely would cross my mind.
The driving is the easy part. It's not like driving a car with a destination, a timeframe, a counter clicking off miles, etc. If you want to stop, you stop. If you want to sleep, you sleep. If you want to take a day to see the area or take a detour, you do so. You also have everything you own with you (well, unless you have storage somewhere), so boredom is not so much an issue -- you can do whatever you like. Just be prepared to do it alone...

Old 04-29-2010, 06:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
I have a friend that wroked with me and when he retired he took a 15 month trip around the US. He was a guy that drove a compact car so I knew something was up when he showed up in a new F-250 diesel at work. he also bought a 5th wheeler.I got post cards from him alot. He said he basically never drove byond about 3 PM and sometime 12 noon. Stayed a minium of 43 days most places he liked. He said once he was done he was pretty much ready to come home and stay. He stayed in the trailer until they fiinshed built a new home and sold it. He said it takes alot of planning and is not really that cheap. It ws worth it he said but took some time to get regulatted liike any ruutine. He often traveled with others which he said makes things easier once he got started. Made alot of new friends.Just he and the wife and dog.He sadi he wouldn't want to do much oger than that himself.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:42 AM

3 posts, read 13,541 times
I rented out my 10-acre property in New Zealand and have been travelling around the world for the past 6 years.

Lived in caravans (trailers), campervans, farm, urban, sub-urban, resorts and all over.

I have a little "reserves", a little investment income and need very little in that I lean towards simplicity in almost every way. In a nutshell, I can live with a few items in my backpack and be fit, heathy and clean all at once with no difficulty. It is a matter of training oneself to suit any situation. Taking care of number one must come before anything else for one to be of utmost use to any other.

There are so many ways to travel. I do things not for a living but for the sake of the human experience. Armed with the appropriate attitude, with the necessary tip-top health in mind, body and spirit anyone would be an asset anywhere in the word or out of this world if desired (no pun intended).

It is all about exchange anywhere. I have had people offer me friendship, money, affection, food, shelter, warmth and lots more than is tangible and etc for what I can offer. In this case, being skillful in more ways than one does help a lot.

So, I am still travelling and have no idea whether I will settle down at one spot for too long anytime soon. The only time I will go back to my property is to get a few things sorted out and than I am off somewhere again.

I hope this gives you some food for thought. We are not limited by anything we don't want to be limited by.

The power of choice is as real as it gets. Let no one tell you otherwise.

Cheers

Old 05-14-2010, 06:54 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,093 times
Ahhh misconceptions about woman abound I'm a woman 60 years young soon and I'd love to become a nomadic again. I spend hours on the 'net reading about full timers and their rigs, trying to figure out how I can do it. If I sell my place (10 acres in rural NE GA), it's one of the things I'm really considering. I don't have savings, only the equity in my place. I will be working until I'm feet first out the door. But, I'm an LPN and trying to get back into working as a nurse (can't in this state and no I didn't do anything wrong other than let my license laps).

My dream is to return to the west (see my board name) and really SEE it this time. I hope to become a travel nurse and get licensure in a compact state (27 now and growing) so I can move around without the hassle and expense of maintaining licenses in multi states. With the electronic age and several states that cater to full timers it's doable. My biggest bugaboo is giving up my beloved books that I read and re-read...sigh, Kindle here I come...LOL. I've become a hobby photographer and seeing new sites enthrawls me. I can go for days without the need of human contact. My constant companion is my dog and he and I would enjoy the road.

Years ago, I supported the then hubby while he was in residency and we put all he made in the bank and lived off what I made, so before "we" settled down to a rural practice environment we took a year off and lived out of a backpack and travelled around the world. I loved it.

I will say this, many people, both male and female are not cut out for the vagabond life, but you won't know until you try it. My ex, hated being "on the road" and would camp out in the hotel room many times as I gathered in the sites. It all sounds good on paper but the reality is quite different.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:34 PM

21 posts, read 25,393 times
take me with you.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:01 PM

161 posts, read 418,019 times
ah!!! it would be lovely to roam again,
did it once when i was younger and it was like total freedom!!
but now the health isnt good ,
but the dreams are still there...
maybe someday?....
i say do it while you still can.
you cant take it with you when you die.
so live now all you can.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:25 PM

620 posts, read 1,837,839 times
Boy...... loved reading all these posts. I've dreamed of doing something like this most of my life. I'm mid-fifties, ready to wind down and see more of the country, however, am not a risk-taker. I applaud anybody who has gone down the path and just did it. Excellent post - homesheba!! I always tell myself if has to be done before health goes and yes, you can't take anything with you. Memories are the best possessions to have!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness