Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 06:02 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I don't know where the 3 month or 6 month urban myths come from - possibly gasoline dealers. This is silly. My experience is quite the opposite. Buy it up, store it however you wish, add stabilizer, and stop worrying about it. It would probably be good for 2-3 yesrs.

Largely from the way people are storing it especially with the ethanol in it. The ethanol will pull moisture out of the air. My friend has a small engine repair shop and you would not believe the amount of water in some of those machines. 90% of the repairs he does are carb related and most of that is due to the fuel. He pushes the canned fuel he sells which is very expensive but he's not necessarily wrong.

What happens is he fixes the lawnmower, tells them it had water and to get rid of the fuel they have stored. They think he's full of it and just trying to sell them fuel, lawnmower is back the next day with water in the fuel again..... This happens repeatedly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 06:46 AM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Actually, no matter what organic solvent (like gas or kerosene, etc) you're storing, the inside of the container will "sweat" just like your mint julep glass, and it's that water that falls into the soup. Being immiscible with the gas and heavier than it, it sinks to the bottom....The gas will still be good, but when pouring it into the engine's gas tank, be careful to decant it, leaving the water behind. (Hard to do ) If it's being in stored in the engine's tank, the watery mess will clog up the carb/injectors and not spritz the fuel mix adequately.

Stabil and such take that contaminating water and turn it into a jelly making it a little easier to decant. I'd forget it and just keep the storage vessel topped off so there's no air in it to provide moisture.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:12 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nor'eastah View Post
to those who claim that gas can only be stored for 6 months or less, i'll add that i commonly store it for a year to a year and a half. I do use stabil (just regular, not marine) added to mostly winter blend. I have done this for more than a decade. My personal experience is that vehicles, lawn mowers, chain saws and generators run just fine on this, even after a year and a half. It runs like fresh. It's regular e10, not avgas. I store it in plastic 5 gallon containers.

I don't know where the 3 month or 6 month urban myths come from - possibly gasoline dealers. This is silly. My experience is quite the opposite. Buy it up, store it however you wish, add stabilizer, and stop worrying about it. It would probably be good for 2-3 yesrs.
+1,

Old 09-28-2019, 09:04 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Two questions, and a few observations.

First the questions, for "catz&dogz"
How do you plan to remove the ethanol, without removing the butane?
(Just the outline, no need to post the whole recipe.)
And for the "producer gas stills," what do you plan to produce gas from?

Observations:
1. Grampa Pipes and coalman are right about wasting your money on premium.
In fact it is "less good" than regular, unless you have an engine that requires it.

2. As long as your containers are air tight, you can keep fuel a full year, but be advised, winter gas has quite a bit of butane in it, so the container will have some substantial pressure in it in the heat of the summer.

3. terracore is right about the no-alcohol gas having a substantially higher energy content, and it is a bit less susceptible to water accumulation, but that shouldn't matter if your containers are completely air tight.

4. PRI-G is great stuff, but if you can't find it, STA-BIL is just fine. Use the marine stuff if you live where there is dew running off your car every day of the year. (Florida, Miss, Lower AL, New Orleans, etc.) For several years, in Central Texas, I stored gas for a year at a time, even without Sta-Bil. But I don't recommend it.

5. Which leads to: those who tell you to rotate your gas every x months instead of every year probably are not trying to rip you off, just being over cautious. After all, if you muck up the carb on your generator just once, you could have rotated the fuel several times for the trouble you just bought. (See coalman's post #11.)

6. Nor'Eastah's climate is a bit different the most of the US. His advice is good if you live in the North, and not on the sea coast. Add a grain of salt if you live in a tropical climate, as I do. He can get away with a lot of stuff that I can't.

7. Canned fuel from a hardware store is very expensive, as coalman said, and is a last resort.

8. Would like to see the OP come back and discuss this some more.
(I have no doubt about his motives being what he says, just want to know if he is happy with the answers )

Old 09-28-2019, 09:30 PM

Location: “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who
129 posts, read 66,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post

TRex2 thanks for the questions but i'm a little confused.

First let me give a shout out to the Mods. One of the things I liked most about this SS&P forum was that the Mod's seemed like s/he were enthusiast and also that s/he was practical and judicious with Mod cuts and moves. It seems like they are here to facilitate conversation not head hunt for people to boot off the site. There are plenty of those out there.
I certainly want to make sure that I am following both the letter of the law and the spirit of the law WRT this forum.

Disclaimer:
I'm not here to challenge anyones core beliefs or perceptions about their reality. I don't want to change anybody's minds about their beliefs. I just want to talk about interesting topics. I am happy to post a couple of links that are commonly available on Youtube or wikipedia if thats the convention.

Maybe I should have taken the time to include those links in my post, not sure, TRex2, please advise.
I wasnt sure if posting youtube links was allowed.

Again, not trying to ruffle any feathers just trying to use very common terms and techniques from the SS&P community.
OK, thats all I have to say about thread convention and rules.

Water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2zgomFdEM

Anything that produces gas when heated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLe7E8X5Nss

Old 09-28-2019, 10:18 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
The T.O.S.of city-data and the sticky cover the rules and guidelines for posting here. Politics, including sovereign citizen and other stuff more related to belief systems is simply off-topic and a distraction, so it is not allowed. There are other forums outside of C-D that do allow it if it a pressing desire, I'm sure members can guide you to a few. The rules here are not about repressing free speech, just keeping talk within the overall concept of the forum.

Producer gas, bio-gas, alternative fuels are on-topic. A caution of producer gas - carbon monoxide is a major component and any such system needs to be in open air and away from dwellings to be even moderately safe. Even low level CO inhalation is detrimental. Bio-gas is generally not a viable alternative as the amount of waste required to make it are much more than a person or family generate.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:01 PM

Location: “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who
129 posts, read 66,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Politics, including sovereign citizen and other stuff more related to belief systems is simply off-topic and a distraction, so it is not allowed.

Producer gas, bio-gas, alternative fuels are on-topic. A caution of producer gas - carbon monoxide is a major component and any such system needs to be in open air and away from dwellings to be even moderately safe. Even low level CO inhalation is detrimental. Bio-gas is generally not a viable alternative as the amount of waste required to make it are much more than a person or family generate.
Good to know about the CO poisoning.

I have never heard of the belief system SOVEREIGN CITIZEN before so I will research it and make sure I stay clear of any references to it.

Just discovered the link to your 'How to improve your post' page.
Wasn't aware of the importance placed on DEBATE and then the defense of your position.
The debate style of the members now makes a lot more sense after finding that post.

Thanks

Last edited by catz&dogz; 09-28-2019 at 11:22 PM..

Old 09-29-2019, 08:46 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The T.O.S.of city-data and the sticky cover the rules and guidelines for posting here. Politics, including sovereign citizen and other stuff more related to belief systems is simply off-topic and a distraction, so it is not allowed. There are other forums outside of C-D that do allow it if it a pressing desire, I'm sure members can guide you to a few. The rules here are not about repressing free speech, just keeping talk within the overall concept of the forum.

The general rule for production of methane is 1 lb of effluent will produce 17 cubic feet of gas. Filtering the methane to remove H2SO4 and other impurities will reduce the total cubic feet of pure natural gas.
Tricky part about generating methane is for best production you need an anaerobic environment, and maintain a temperature of at least 65 F.

It should only be pressurized to a maximum of 3psi.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
The general rule for production of methane is 1 lb of effluent will produce 17 cubic feet of gas. Filtering the methane to remove H2SO4 and other impurities will reduce the total cubic feet of pure natural gas.
Tricky part about generating methane is for best production you need an anaerobic environment, and maintain a temperature of at least 65 F.

It should only be pressurized to a maximum of 3psi.
A lot depends on the carbon/nitrogen ratio. I rewrote Ram Bux Singh's manual on bio-gas production back in the 1970s, before he got involved with Mother Earth News and the disaster at the Ral-Jim farm. I had to get into a lot of the nitty gritty back then. Ah, the days of the "Whole Earth Catalogue" at its prime.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catz&dogz View Post
Good to know about the CO poisoning.

I have never heard of the belief system SOVEREIGN CITIZEN before so I will research it and make sure I stay clear of any references to it.

Just discovered the link to your 'How to improve your post' page.
Wasn't aware of the importance placed on DEBATE and then the defense of your position.
The debate style of the members now makes a lot more sense after finding that post.

Thanks
Briefly, the debate style prevents the p*ssing matches that are more likely to involve personal attacks. There are plenty of threads where there are no disputes and people just chime in with information that they have on a subject, or try to help other posters. Please do not fixate on the debate aspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness