U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So which?
Tide 11 30.56%
All 2 5.56%
Gain 4 11.11%
Cheer 2 5.56%
OxiClean 0 0%
Purex 0 0%
cheapest I can find 4 11.11%
other (desc) 13 36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 PM

6,022 posts, read 13,692,408 times

Advertisements

was going to say "the cheapest I can find", but I find the super cheap stuff isn't that great. the cheapest brand I'll use is Purex, but prefer Tide or All if I can get it on sale + coupon. basically, whatever name brand is on sale w/ a preference towards Tide or All. will have to check out the Method brand though since I already use a lot of Method products (hand and dish soap, shower cleaner, etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 09:40 PM

39,931 posts, read 57,770,652 times
I like this:

for a good fabric care, stain remover and long lasting fresh smell.

So what’s in A&H Essentials?
According to the bottle:

100% Naturally Derived Surfactants
Biodegradable Plant-Based Soaps
No Dyes
No Phosphates or Bleaches
No Petroleum-Based Cleaners
Safe for Septic Systems
Boosted Arm & Hammer Baking Soda

The price is good and they will issue a $1.75 off coupon several times a year.
Can't say "NO" to that!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:29 PM

2,081 posts, read 4,293,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Costco's Kirkland brand Tide-equivalent
Yes, Kirkland and Gain are the closest to Tide's efficiency.

I have tried them all (detergents) and I mean all of them. I have a large family and the older ones are athletes that give me stinky, stained clothes to wash.

I tried many detergents to save money, or bought some with coupons... but Tide, hands down, is the best! It is the only one that gets the clothes and uniforms bright and clean. I might be able to get away with a cheaper detergent if it was just my husband and I...but my children's laundry needs Tide (and the stain stick, too).

I will buy Gain if it goes on sale, too. But that's all I use now; Tide and Gain.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:10 PM

2,375 posts, read 5,425,303 times
I make my own.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:49 PM

13,484 posts, read 25,867,395 times
I prefer Wisk.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:04 AM

10,784 posts, read 12,029,131 times
Tide. Yes it cost more, but it's the hands down best detergent on the market. Proven many times over by places like consumer reports.
I'd rather spend the extra there, then on having clothes fade and wear out more quickly costing more in the long run.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:31 PM

14,419 posts, read 24,449,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Before this thread gets moved My job used to have me on the road all the time and I had to use laundromats. There you need a lot of quarters, not only for the machines and dryers but also the vending machines with the detergents. The Tide box from the machine would do two laundry loads vs one by other brands. One never has enough quarters and pays attention to laundry done vs quarters expended
Most laundromats that I have seen now have payment cards and many accept credit cards. Why would they want to continue to accept coins which exposes them to robbery/burglary.

Even though my family all worked at P&G and some actually produced Tide detergent, I have sworn off the P&G Koolaid and found that the competition also makes some products that do as well at a fraction of the price.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:56 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,868,883 times
After a while, you wonder how many people understand that when you pay more for a brand name, all you're paying for is the name. Many non-brand-name products are actually manufactured by the big brands; they cover their bases so you're putting your money in their coffers whatever you buy. But take a look at the ingredients on the different bottles and containers...then, if you still like paying more for a brand name's name, go for it!

Old 06-16-2010, 05:29 PM

14,419 posts, read 24,449,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
After a while, you wonder how many people understand that when you pay more for a brand name, all you're paying for is the name. Many non-brand-name products are actually manufactured by the big brands; they cover their bases so you're putting your money in their coffers whatever you buy. But take a look at the ingredients on the different bottles and containers...then, if you still like paying more for a brand name's name, go for it!
And what you are missing is that a lot of the large companies - including some of the largest are generally marketing companies - outsource the manufacturing of the products to other companies.

In several instances - like bar soap - one manufacturer makes all the product for all of the major brands.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:31 PM

11,972 posts, read 27,301,409 times
Honestly, I used to buy the cheapest brand. I thought they worked fine, but my DH begged the differ. He kept asking me to buy Tide. I used to be allergic to it. (use to make me itch) Anyhow, I got a coupon for $2 off Tide. I went to Family Dollar to buy it and ended up paying $3. I know it doesn't cover as many loads, but I figured a trick out. The cup it comes with is way to much detergent. I got a scooper cup out of the powdered iced tea. I use one of those and it's plenty. If it says it gets 22 loads per box; I get 66 loads out of it. Therfore, it ends up being the same price as the cheap stuff and it cleans better.

Hint: Make sure you buy it on sale or at Family Dollar/Dollar General with a coupon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products