U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:31 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,029,563 times

Advertisements

Did I say something wrong? This was just my experience. Maybe there are people out there that can shop at Walmart- not feed their families with all those packages of processed foods (cloned cow milk, meats that cost more by 10% if you read the fine print on the labels - 10% water added...which means pound per pound you are paying 10% of the cost for water), and of course Walmart is really Little China or is that Chinatown? Most of their stock comes from China.
And then there is the fact that Walmart is the impulse shoppers best friend- can get their fix everytime they walk through the door.

But, it's good business! It's what any business owner would do.... find ways to make more money!

Again, it's just not for me.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,396 times
I think I have never seen so many people so shallow, yet in their own way, very condescending.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:31 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
-------or milk from fake cows-cloned ones......

Sounds like another poster brainwashed by some " floppy hatter" who wrote a book .

Old 06-15-2010, 02:34 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You get what you pay for. Walmart pays poor wages. They don't attract the best talent. The people who work there hate working there thus they have no pride in their job nor do they care about providing good customer service. I shop at Target. I pay a little more money but I receive better service. This is what people fail to understand in life. Nothing is free. Lowest price does not = best! There are costs when dealing with low cost anything. Remember that. If you want good service you will have to pay for it. If you get anything for really cheap then you will likely have to deal with some discomfort. It depends on what you value. For me, I'm always willing to pay more because it brings me peace of mind. I know others who always want to pay the lowest price and don't mind dealing with delays, bad service and additional labor on their part just to get that low price.
--Walmart pays poor wages--

Got a list of Walmart's competitors who pay better wages ?

Old 06-15-2010, 06:35 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,492,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
...cloned cow milk...
I think that's the second or third time you've said that. Do you have any sources that back that up? I googled a bit and all I came up with was an FDA approval on meat/milk from cloned cows several years ago - and a number of articles saying that nobody wants it, so none of the food companies are using it.

As for Wal*Mart, I found this article (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/021080dnbusclones.38f2060.html - broken link) from 2008:
Quote:
Wal-Mart, the nation's largest retailer, and Tyson Foods, the biggest beef processor, both based in Arkansas, said they have no plans to buy products from cloned livestock.

But when asked about the offspring of clones, Tyson said it does not have a specific position, and Wal-Mart declined to respond to questions.

"Whatever measures we ultimately take will be guided by government regulations and the desires of our customers and consumers," Wal-Mart spokesman Gary Mickelson said.
and this article from the Wall Street Journal says:
Quote:
Other companies, including Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and Tyson Foods Inc., have also banned the use of cloned animals in food products.
So I'm just wonderin'... Where did you get your information?

Old 06-15-2010, 07:11 PM

7,252 posts, read 11,391,048 times
Wow, all of the people that dump on WalMart with lots of fiction and half truths. I guess when these people look at a successful business model such as WM, they either can't comprehend how it works or they are so jealous that they can only resort to such negativity.

I like to shop at WM for certain items. I treat people the way I want to be treated, so I don't go into the store with a ""Look at me; I am a business man with a Blue Chip background and an MBA, so I'm better than you" attitude".

I shop there for what it is; decent products at a decent price.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:14 PM

990 posts, read 1,546,045 times
Quote:
The people who work there hate working there thus they have no pride in their job nor do they care about providing good customer service. I shop at Target. I pay a little more money but I receive better service.
There's a Target & a Walmart near me, just a 2 minute drive apart. I have never spoken to a Walmart employee who was not polite and helpful. If I ask them where something is, they'll usually walk me right over to the item I'm looking for.
Once I had a miserable checker with a down with Walmart attitude. He struck me as a silly young man, who felt he deserved something far better than the job he got. Listening to him, I got the distinct impression that the best he could possibly aspire to was to be a salesman at Famous shoes. Erudite, he wasn't.

I have only one real complaint about my Walmart. The checkout lines are too long.

At Target, on the other hand, I find less selection, and it's hard to find someone to help me if I'm looking for something in particular. It's the great hunt, trying to find the elusive associate. Is she behind the DVDs? or over in the toy section? Once or twice I've been tempted to let out with a loud YOO-HOO! Hello? Anyone here?

I'm beginning to be suspicious of people who bash Walmart so wholeheartedly. FYI, everything comes from China or Korea or Viet Nam, Indonesia, India, and other such places, dadgummit! It doesn't matter where you shop. Very little is made in the USA. I bought a handy dandy clamshell package opener for my husband at Christmas. It was made in the USA! So cool to have found something American made.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:21 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,879,229 times
Walmart used to be a good company...before Sam Walton died. When he went, so did the company. I do applaud the people who have good experiences at their Walmart store. Congrats...you are in the 1% club.

BTW, our local Sam's Club (Walmart owned) is friendly and people are easy to talk to and willing to help. The funny thing is that every Sam's I go to is like that, yet every Walmart I go to the opposite. Go figure.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:37 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,760,137 times
My wife and I always shop at Walmart when we are in the USA. They are the only big store that will let us camp out in our rig in their parking lot. The dogs get really excited when we pull in because they relate Walmart to the Chicken they know they will be getting.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:17 PM

13,481 posts, read 25,857,588 times
There's a Target & a Walmart near me, just a 2 minute drive apart. I have never spoken to a Walmart employee who was not polite and helpful. If I ask them where something is, they'll usually walk me right over to the item I'm looking for.

At Target, on the other hand, I find less selection, and it's hard to find someone to help me if I'm looking for something in particular. It's the great hunt, trying to find the elusive associate. Is she behind the DVDs? or over in the toy section? Once or twice I've been tempted to let out with a loud YOO-HOO! Hello? Anyone here?

I agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products