U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 03:57 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,377,812 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I need your help in finding a mattress that's right for us. I just relocated to N.C. in April and am moving to a house next month. I have always used a Queen size bed, but I'm ready to get a King bed. I did a search on C-D and found a retailer in the area that is honest and has a good product.

However, now I don't know which way to go. I'd rather have input from real people versus sales people so I have a frame of reference before I go in to a showroom.

* I have little ones who still like to climb in bed with us, so something cleanable is a must. I know they can't get too wet, but spot wiping is nice.

* I have a back that goes out every now and then, so something firm but not hard as a rock is better for me. Dh likes a softer top mattress though. I was thinking even a dual adjustable would be nice for this reason.

* I love to change furniture around and change the "look" of my house, so I'll be lifting the mattress to change the skirt a few times a year. Something easily moveable (not easy enough for the kids, but for me not to kill myself in the process) would be helpful.

* I don't watch television, but I am an avid reader so I often sit up in bed (with a bed pillow). For those with adjustable beds, do you like them better than regular beds?

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I've never had a King bed and I'm so excited about it.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 04:26 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,972,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Hi all,

I need your help in finding a mattress that's right for us. I just relocated to N.C. in April and am moving to a house next month. I have always used a Queen size bed, but I'm ready to get a King bed. I did a search on C-D and found a retailer in the area that is honest and has a good product.

However, now I don't know which way to go. I'd rather have input from real people versus sales people so I have a frame of reference before I go in to a showroom.

* I have little ones who still like to climb in bed with us, so something cleanable is a must. I know they can't get too wet, but spot wiping is nice. ANY mattress that is covered with a mattress cover will meet this need just buy two covers and wash as needed.

* I have a back that goes out every now and then, so something firm but not hard as a rock is better for me. Dh likes a softer top mattress though. I was thinking even a dual adjustable would be nice for this reason. A dual firmness mattress may add a great deal to the final cost. King mattress have two twins on top of a frame since a single mattress that big is to hard to handle and/or move.

Buy a firm mattress (not rock hard just firm) and add a 100% LATEX (NOT memory foam) mattress topper to please you both. Buy a firm LATEX topper to aid in wear life. (Foam is gaged by how many pounds per sq ft it weighs so a 4 to 6 pound topper will do. Ask the seller for this info.)

* I love to change furniture around and change the "look" of my house, so I'll be lifting the mattress to change the skirt a few times a year. Something easily moveable (not easy enough for the kids, but for me not to kill myself in the process) would be helpful. Then a king mattress is not for you since they are bigger and much heavier than even a queen. However, if you can get ok with the bed in one spot go for it since all that sleeping room is great!

* I don't watch television, but I am an avid reader so I often sit up in bed (with a bed pillow). For those with adjustable beds, do you like them better than regular beds? This is an expense that most should avoid since they add greatly to the cost and complexity of the bed from the frame up. Do this only if you have a medical need since that will justify the added expense and hassle.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I've never had a King bed and I'm so excited about it.

TIA
Good luck but do your homework well since this is an item all of your family will live with for a long time. DON'T cheap the topper either be sure you buy a 100% talalay latex and NOT a latex blend topper.

I will not recommend a brand name since the choice of this item is just to personal to say that one brand is better than another. This is where you & hubby got to lay down on the job to figure it out!

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 06-18-2010 at 04:42 PM..

Old 06-19-2010, 09:33 AM

Hi Tightwad (I love that username!),

Thanks for the help with this. I currently use the mattress protector on my Queen bed, so that's an option. Plus, the little ones should become independent soon and want to sleep in their own rooms. I have to research the talalay latex top. I've never heard of that, but have seen it mentioned. I have to research the adjustable prices a bit more. I don't mind the extra expense if it has added value. I don't plan on changing beds until retirement, if then, so it would pay for itself over time.

Thanks again for taking the time to help!

Old 06-19-2010, 12:59 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,972,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Hi Tightwad (I love that username!),

Thanks for the help with this. I currently use the mattress protector on my Queen bed, so that's an option. Plus, the little ones should become independent soon and want to sleep in their own rooms. I have to research the talalay latex top. I've never heard of that, but have seen it mentioned. I have to research the adjustable prices a bit more. I don't mind the extra expense if it has added value. I don't plan on changing beds until retirement, if then, so it would pay for itself over time.

Thanks again for taking the time to help!
Sadly, there is only one mattress that will last much more then 10>15 years and this is a 100% talalay latex mattress. Talalay latex can last up to at least 30 years as long as it's kept out of the sunlight and handled gently. Factor that in when you research adjustable ,or any bed for that matter, bedding.

P.S. so called " memory foam" is a manmade product that will not last long while having NONE of the health benefits of talalay latex.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:17 AM

Hi again,

I was dying of heatstroke this weekend, but will research the Talalay latex mattress before making a decision. I also have to factor in severe allergies so many of the options readily available may not be a good fit either. I'm doing my research on this. A good night's sleep is important, especially when one has two little tornadoes running around all day!

Thanks again and kind regards!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products