U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:46 AM

497 posts, read 803,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callalillies View Post
I went to home depot and bought 30 birdcage knobs and 19 leaf knobs. A few days later I was looking over the receipt and noticed the cashier only charged me for 1 leaf knob instead of 19.
Would you go back to the store and tell them? It's about $50 dollars worth of merchandise.
I always, ALWAYS let the cashier know so that they can correct it. I don't even think about it, it's automatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 01:50 AM

497 posts, read 803,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I really don't think you are under any moral obligation as you weren't concealing anything when you bought it.

Years back I would have said differently as in my long life I always alerted the store if they undercharged me.

My attitude changed over the years as I NEVER even got a thank you for bringing it to their attention.

In fact one clerk rang up the new ( corrected ) amount and shrugged as she said-------" there ! You happy now? "
I am sick of trying to do " the right thing" when undercharged and being treated like the store is doing me a favor when I bring it to their attention.
I believe this attitude prevails because if someone said "thanks" , they feel that is admitting their mistake that they undercharged someone.
Nope-----the store can lose money before I bring it to their attention and then get treated like they are doing me a favor after I try to save them money and perhaps a clerk their job.

end of rant
I find this impossible to believe. Nobody had EVER been rude to me when I pointed out that they undercharged me. EVER. And almost without fail I receive a thank you for it. So either something in your attitude is causing people to be defensive with you, or you're fabricating things.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:16 AM

1,495 posts, read 4,576,093 times
if I'm overcharged then it's their loss. I'll take it as a bargain and the cashier should be paying attention.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:55 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
I find this impossible to believe. Nobody had EVER been rude to me when I pointed out that they undercharged me. EVER. And almost without fail I receive a thank you for it. So either something in your attitude is causing people to be defensive with you, or you're fabricating things.
Not fabricating anything.

The ones who do this are always younger cashiers, usually female.
Coincidence, I don't know.

I did buy a semi load of hay at the hay auction.
( buy about 5 per year at a cost of about $2500 per load)

All loads have the lab test of the hay, the weight of the hay, and the mileage rate from the auction site to my farm.

You bid on the load by the rate per posted ton ( over 120 semi loads usually there) and then pay the clerk. All sales are final.

When the load arrived, the young trucker said his dad made a mistake and gave the wrong empty wt to the scale operator earlier that day, thus my load actually had 3 tons more of hay than I paid for.

Yes, I am honest.
We unloaded the hay at my farm and I drove in my pick up truck and followed him 20 miles to a public scale to get an accurate weight.

I then wrote an extra check for 3 tons of hay at $125 per ton ( $750).

Yes, the young man thanked me as all sales are final when they leave the auction site and --IF-- I was a jerk, I wouldn't have agreed to the inconvenience and writing another $750 check.

I guess there is a big difference between an owner who makes an undercharge mistake and appreciates a correction and a young hired cashier who has too much pride to admit they made an overcharge mistake when an honest person attempts to do the " right thing".

Old 06-26-2010, 04:53 PM

24,337 posts, read 33,586,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callalillies View Post
I went to home depot and bought 30 birdcage knobs and 19 leaf knobs. A few days later I was looking over the receipt and noticed the cashier only charged me for 1 leaf knob instead of 19.
Would you go back to the store and tell them? It's about $50 dollars worth of merchandise.
If I noticed it right away I'd say something; if I leave merchandise in the cart at the checkout because it's bulky or heavy I say something like "Oh and I have 2 of this in there too, don't forget them" but if I get home and notice they forgot to ring up something, eh. I'm not making another trip.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:03 PM

1,804 posts, read 6,359,992 times
Yes. Just because of the way the world works. I fully believe what goes around comes around. And, you never know how your one little act of rightness and goodness will affect the world.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:26 AM

24,337 posts, read 33,586,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Yes. Just because of the way the world works. I fully believe what goes around comes around. And, you never know how your one little act of rightness and goodness will affect the world.
I am frequently overcharged at some stores and do not always notice it until I get home and check the receipt because the clerks ring up my groceries so fast. When I do check the receipt in the store and notice an overcharge it's always a pain in the butt schlep to customer service to get my money back and they make it so painful that I usually don't bother unless it's really egregious. If I notice it while the clerk is still ringing up my groceries, their reaction is usually a huff or a sigh, rolled eyes, and a gum-smacking intercom call for a manager or a price check. And of course since there's often only 1 or 2 checkout lines open, the half dozen people in line behind me moan and groan too. I feel for them. So unless it's egregious or there's noone behind me in line (which NEVER happens), I usually let it slide.

So if I'm undercharged every once in a while, I see that as my payback for having been overcharged so many times. I see it as karma paying me back a LITTLE for having been ripped off a LOT.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:33 AM

10,234 posts, read 14,176,908 times
It depends on a number of things: The cashier itself, and my "mood". I will admit, I'm a lot less likely to go back and make good if I'm home when I catch the error. But if it was a cashier that I was less than pleased with, then likely not.

But I've been overcharged a few dollars before, too, and didn't go back, either.

When I'm not at work I don't want more errands than absolutely necessary. My time is valuable.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:20 AM

20,549 posts, read 20,532,135 times
Generally, I am apt to do things pretty much the way BigDGeek posted
What I do while right there in the store can be different than once I'm home.
It'd be a safe bet to say the stores are still way ahead of me money-wise.
I'll help in the defence of those that swipe the card and don't pay attention to the amount....neither do I and wouldn't notice a discrepency unless it was on one or two items and a substantial difference.
On multiple items it would not compute.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:47 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,042,486 times
Depends upon the amount of money. If it is over say $10, then I might call the store and let them know that if they want to send someone out to collect the money for their mistake, they are welcome to it. Most of the time, they will say that it is their mistake and to keep the item/money. I am not going to go through the hassle of trying to go back to the store and deal with customer service in order to pay them for their mistake. If it is important enough to them, they can come and get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products