U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:00 AM

171 posts, read 394,571 times

Advertisements

If I noticed, I would return the money. It's the right thing to do, regardless of whether they're appreciative or not. Unlike a few others, I do politely mention if I notice I am overcharged as well. I wouldn't drive back across town to ask for a quarter, LOL, but if I was overcharged $50? Wouldn't everyone??

And having only read page 1, perhaps you answered this, but if you're making something for resale with those supplies, I think that makes being honest and accurate even more important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 06:26 PM

25,629 posts, read 30,968,677 times
Kind of hard to accept not knowing you were not charged for 50 dollars worth of merchandise until you got home. A couple of dollars maybe. Sounds like guilt is playing a role. Trust your gut.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:33 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,005,457 times
^ ^ I have to agree.

I once was undercharged substantially for an item. It was snowing and I had three small children with me. Distracted about the drive home in the storm and didn't really notice. Later in the day, having arrived home safely and while unpacking the sacks from the store, I realized the error. Did I get right back in the car with the wee ones and drive back in the snowstorm? Yeah, right. About a week or so later, I had to go to a store near the one where I was undercharged. I stopped in with my receipt and a check for the difference.

Point being, not wanting to drive back to the store to correct the error doesn't really wash. You went there once, you'll probably be going again. And since there are very few free-standing stores in the middle of a desert with no other destination nearby, you'll be heading in the right direction at some point.

I guess you can always justify a wrong if you work hard enough.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:57 PM

24,326 posts, read 33,572,976 times
The other day I was at Kroger and was buying (among many other things) some sugar snap peas and some cippolini onions. I can accept that cippolini onions are kind of unusual in this part of the world but if you're going to sell something, have it listed in the little code book that the cashiers have up front. They didn't have sugar snap peas listed either. Both items were $3.99 a pound and the cashier eventually gave up trying to find a code; she was the only cashier working at the time (as usual at Kroger) and there were five people in line behind me at this point, so she rang the items up as green beans ($1.89/lb) and white onions ($1.29/lb).

I was undercharged. Did I tell her they were both $3.99/lb? No. Would I have if she had asked? Yes. She never asked me a thing. I wasn't about to volunteer the information. Do I feel guilty? Hell no. It's Kroger's fault for not providing the proper codes to its cashiers so they could have rung them up properly. I told her what they were. She paged a manager. Nobody came.

Oh well.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:59 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,107,041 times
If it's a big enough error for me to correct as an overcharge, I will correct it as an undercharge. I'm not going to worry about change unless I'm standing at the register and might not even worry about a couple of dollars (depending on the circumstance) but if I got home and found I was overcharged by $50 I'd find my way back to the store to get it corrected....same for being undercharged.

Only once have I had a negative reaction to correcting an undercharge. I realized the mistake at home while going over receipts (we were on vacation and had each checked out our own items). It appeared to be a problem with the cash register not ringing up all the items...I know on my order the register beeped for each item but I was not charged. Upon informing the manager by phone that one of his registers was only ringing up 1 out of 3 items he accused me of shoplifting and started asking me where I lived, etc. The store was not near home and we had made the purchases in cash, I wasn't going to tell the guy anything so I just hung up the phone.....his loss. I wondered if he bothered to fix the register or just kept giving away stuff for free.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:28 PM

861 posts, read 1,775,937 times
Now what if you are at a sports venue or amusement park where the prices are ridiculously jacked up to take advantage of patrons. And say you buy two mediocre hot dogs at $7 each but you are accidently charged for one. I'm guessing many would feel less guilty about not going back to correct the mistake.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 626 times
A few days ago I went in to get something I needed after checking the price online to be $350. I am a student and get a monthly sum of $500 so I knew that after buying this, it'd really be tight managing what I had left between general living expenses and other commitments I have. I got into the store and after the cashier checked the price online agreed to sell at $350 but when it was time to pay I was charged $250. I said nothing though at the back of my mind I am really going back and forth with the idea of drawing her attention to it. I pushed it aside because I thought it'd be stupid to do this in this situation and it was the stores responsibility. Also, considering the fact my phone number and address were taken after the transaction , I thought in the event they realise the mistake they'd give me a call but I'd leave that up to them. I also considered that this is a business that earns a lot of profit against a student who has no job and this error would be more or less trivial to the store. However being an overthinker, I'm starting to reconsider if what I did was morally right. I want to brush it off but if this was totally wrong then I probably shouldn't. It's been a couple of days since I got it. is it worth going back?

Last edited by Enny; 11-13-2015 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: Unwanted information

Old 11-13-2015, 09:21 PM

11,153 posts, read 14,804,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enny View Post
A few days ago I went in to get something I needed after checking the price online to be $350. I am a student and get a monthly sum of $500 so I knew that after buying this, it'd really be tight managing what I had left between general living expenses and other commitments I have. I got into the store and after the cashier checked the price online agreed to sell at $350 but when it was time to pay I was charged $250. I said nothing though at the back of my mind I am really going back and forth with the idea of drawing her attention to it. I pushed it aside because I thought it'd be stupid to do this in this situation and it was the stores responsibility. Also, considering the fact my phone number and address were taken after the transaction , I thought in the event they realise the mistake they'd give me a call but I'd leave that up to them. I also considered that this is a business that earns a lot of profit against a student who has no job and this error would be more or less trivial to the store. However being an overthinker, I'm starting to reconsider if what I did was morally right. I want to brush it off but if this was totally wrong then I probably shouldn't. It's been a couple of days since I got it. is it worth going back?
Yes, it's wrong, and no a hundred dollar error is not trivial to the store.
It makes no difference that the store makes a lot of profit, against a student or anyone else. The point is that if it's something you can't really afford then go for something cheaper, or do without until you can afford what you want. Taking advantage of the cashiers error is a form of stealing. (What if the cashier is another poor college student who loses their job over this?)
You have as much of a responsibility to do the right thing as they do. If they overcharged you and you didn't catch it right away, would you be fine with it because it's your responsibility, or would you expect them to make it right?

Old 11-13-2015, 11:34 PM

4,583 posts, read 1,760,104 times
I was at Lowe's the other day, shopped about $4500.00 worth of appliances for the new kitchen. It was taking a little longer than I thought so I picked up a water bottle from a cooler in the checkout area thinking that I will pay it with my final purchase. I went back to the appliances area and completed my order.

As I started the car, I noticed that I had not paid for the water. Went back into Lowe's with the empty bottle and paid $1.27

Old 11-16-2015, 08:56 PM

76 posts, read 52,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I am always reminded of what my dad told me while I was growing up:
It doesn't matter if a person steals a quarter or a million dollars.....they still have the heart of a thief.
Yup, except nothing, whatsoever, so stolen in this scenario.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products