U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 09:11 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,256,710 times

Advertisements

My mother years ago went through drive in window at bank. Made her deposit checked her receipt and it showed 200 over what she deposited and immediately let the cashier know. Do you think she was appreciative? Not in the least and my mom was really bent as she knew that brat would have had to find that mistake by end of day to balance out and most likely lose her job if she didnt. Mom said she would never do that again. Their being indignant is due to feeling they couldnt have made a mistake and seem to be surprised when realizing they did. I have been given too much change and yes do tell them but also let them know when a product was ringing up at wrong price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 10:33 PM

11,153 posts, read 14,804,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhippo View Post
Yup, except nothing, whatsoever, so stolen in this scenario.

I do hope you're joking and that you actually know the difference between right and wrong.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:13 AM

38,023 posts, read 46,827,936 times
At Home Depot, I wouldn't go back. I know, since DH works there, that they write off so much merchandise that it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.
In a case where a clerk or teller would need to cover the loss, I would go back. If it was a mom and pop hardware store, I would go back also.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:51 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,701,127 times
Yes, I have and I do. It's a matter of principle and integrity to me. May not matter to some or most of you, but it matters to ME, and that's what matters at the end of the day.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:13 AM

11,153 posts, read 14,804,476 times
Quote:
they write off so much merchandise that it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.
The cost of doing business includes 'shrink', things happen that a business can't control. That doesn't make it ok to knowingly add to that. Would you go in and deliberately destroy merchandise and think it's ok because companies know they will have shrink?

Old 01-04-2016, 10:36 PM

318 posts, read 262,618 times
Yes, we've gone back in and paid for things that had been neglected to be scanned. In our case it did happen at home depot. Sadly they were surprised we did it, but happy and thanked us for being honest.

The only time I didn't go back was for a $2 item I missed checking the receipt at the store (I do this every time but there was at least 30 items on the receipt and total looked ok) and noticed when I got home. the store was 3 hours away- we weren't driving back.

If I "hate" a retailer, I don't shop there period, I won't take unintentional free stuff.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:44 PM

40,072 posts, read 48,968,363 times
I've experienced being under charged a few times and when I discover it I tell the clerk that they made a mistake and give them the correct $ back, and I tell them I wouldn't want you to get fired for having a shortage when you check out. They always thank me for that.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:22 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,669,533 times
If I notice right there that they've undercharged me I will say something. If I notice when I get home, I look at how much was undercharged and how far away the place is. If it's going to cost me more in gas than what was undercharged then meh on it.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:24 AM

43,991 posts, read 53,828,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
At Home Depot, I wouldn't go back. I know, since DH works there, that they write off so much merchandise that it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.
In a case where a clerk or teller would need to cover the loss, I would go back. If it was a mom and pop hardware store, I would go back also.
It's not about making a difference to the company.
It's about doing the right thing/personal integrity.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:09 AM

1,084 posts, read 897,845 times
If a cashier at a drive-thru gives me extra cash or something, I'll turn around and go back because I know it could cause them to get in trouble or lose their job. I've done it on numerous occasions and I was doing it just to do the right thing, not to be praised. I've also learned that it's a good thing I don't expect to be praised for it because most people (regardless of position) aren't very appreciative. But I do it for my conscience and no other reason.

I've also had a few experiences like the OP's, where a cashier made an error and only charged me for one of an item even though I had 20 of them! I dealt with that by calling the store, speaking to the manager and explaining what happened. If he/she wanted to fairly compensate me for my time and expense (I live about 20 miles away from anything), then I will come in and pay for those items at my convenience. Several times, the manager has been somewhat polite and told me to just keep the items (one asked for the bar code so they could adjust the inventory). A few have taken my credit card info over the phone and pad for the items, which was fair. But once the manager got an attitude with me and told me I didn't "deserve" anything for driving back to the store (which was a one-hour and 50-mile round-trip) and he wasn't allowed to take a credit card over the phone. Then he had the audacity to tell me I needed to return THAT DAY! Even though the error was almost $100 in my favor, I wasn't going to have terms dictated to me when I was the one being inconvenienced and going to the trouble of trying to make it right in the first place! I suggested that he go do something to himself and hung up. The next day, I donated the money to a local animal rescue.

I used to buy a lot of things off Ebay (in the old days when deals could be found on there) and I've had several situations with various sellers over the years. In most cases, I got more than I purchased of an item or some extra item I didn't even want. I would contact the seller and I was glad to send it back but I wasn't going to pay for the shipping to send it back! Most of those were paid for with Paypal and I told the seller that as soon as they sent me the cost to ship it back via Paypal, I'd send it right back. I had two jerks on there try to give me negative feedback for informing them of their mistake and trying to fix it without actually spending more of my money! One got kicked off Ebay and they made the other one refund the full amount of my purchase plus return shipping and I sent their crap back to them! Then I gave them negative feedback which stuck.

Trying to be honest isn't a simiple, clear-cut thing anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products