U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you shop at Walmart?
Yes 20 48.78%
No 10 24.39%
I try to avoid it 11 26.83%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:00 PM

138 posts, read 458,042 times

Advertisements

my answer depends on the walmart...

I used to live in a nice suburb with a nice super walmart that was well kept. We saved a lot of money buying food there vs the grocery store. I will NOT buy meat or produce at walmart. I actually go to the butcher like the old days and I go to the farmers market.

Now I live in a different state in another nice suburb but the walmarts here are NASTY! there are no super walmarts, they are all small, no selection, dirty, crowded and not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 08:07 PM

3,809 posts, read 3,509,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
So many seem to knock Walmart whenever they see a "Made in China" label, but have they bothered to turn over the labels at the other stores too? I see plenty of the "Made in China" labels at the higher end stores too.
^The reason they knock Walmart is because Walmart claims they always sell American-made goods "when available", and it's simply not true.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:41 PM

14,415 posts, read 24,440,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I also have to laugh whenever I hear about employee practices. Hell, everyone in Oregon thinks Fred Meyer is such a big deal because it's local (or, rather, it was until NY's Kroger's bought them out). In the 90's they cut all their employees to half-time so they wouldn't have to pay for health insurance. And, no, the savings in costs didn't go towards hourly wage (so I've been told).
Kroger's is Cincinnati based.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:55 PM

1,479 posts, read 4,186,851 times
I stay away from Walmart. Did not have them growing up. So don't need them now.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:38 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
I didn't have running water , electricity, or Walmart --growing up--

I wouldn't want to go back to re-live those days.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:45 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,174,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Kroger's is Cincinnati based.
Oh! Well, then. . . Thank you!

Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,098,321 times
I really think that wal-mart is better than the conditions that those who hire illegals subject them to.illegal or not. Wal-mart is nothig compared to those conditions.I see no difference tha the cheap illegal labor that have no benefits and below miniumu wages and illegal hours. Many contractors use them for cleaning office on contract taking real advantage of them. i am not for illegals be here but the situation many companies and even individauls use them because of their status is criminal really.Just as often times you hear retail workers say the company is much better than dealing with the general public.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:07 PM

4,919 posts, read 20,167,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I really think that wal-mart is better than the conditions that those who hire illegals subject them to.illegal or not. Wal-mart is nothig compared to those conditions.I see no difference tha the cheap illegal labor that have no benefits and below miniumu wages and illegal hours. Many contractors use them for cleaning office on contract taking real advantage of them. i am not for illegals be here but the situation many companies and even individauls use them because of their status is criminal really.Just as often times you hear retail workers say the company is much better than dealing with the general public.
you mean like when walmart got busted for contracting with companies who hired illegals and fed wiretaps showed executives of walmart knew they were illegal because they told the contractors that if they hired illegals they could pay less and charge walmart less. what was it over 10 million in fines that walmart paid.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:48 AM

11,613 posts, read 6,398,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
^The reason they knock Walmart is because Walmart claims they always sell American-made goods "when available", and it's simply not true.
I suppose alot depends on "when available" then?
Sure I'd like to see more "made in America" labels but how often do you see them in the other stores?

Old 06-22-2010, 07:39 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,492,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
That campaign ended like... a decade ago. People weren't willing to spend the extra money that American-made goods cost.

Wal*Mart gives people what they want. You can't fault them for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products