U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you shop at Walmart?
Yes 20 48.78%
No 10 24.39%
I try to avoid it 11 26.83%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:51 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,421,527 times

Advertisements

I realize there are a few WalMart threads out there but I'm curious as to the number of people who won't shop at Walmart unless it's necessary.

I, for one, will NOT purchase anything at Walmart. I don't agree with their corporate culture, I feel they have completely destroyed small mom-and-pop stores, and I don't care for how they treat their employees.

A co-worker's son is current working at Walmart for the summer and he really dislikes it. The low wages, poor management, and a negative attitude among other employees. He says many are temporarily working there until they find another job, very high turnover rate.

I haven't shopped at Walmart for many years, it really feels good not to support such a corrupt organization.

Anyone else with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 01:43 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,849,386 times
I realize that you probably only want posts that support your viewpoint.

But I have no problems with Wal-Mart and will still shop there. For one thing, it's a ten minute walk from my house to their door. If I want to buy something at 2 a.m. Monday morning, I can. I work overnight shifts, so I'm up late at night anyhow.

I worked there for a year, and when I was hired, they gave me 50 or 75 cents more than I had been making at my previous job.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,434,711 times
I refuse to shop WalMart also.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I realize there are a few WalMart threads out there but I'm curious as to the number of people who won't shop at Walmart unless it's necessary.

I, for one, will NOT purchase anything at Walmart. I don't agree with their corporate culture, I feel they have completely destroyed small mom-and-pop stores, and I don't care for how they treat their employees.

A co-worker's son is current working at Walmart for the summer and he really dislikes it. The low wages, poor management, and a negative attitude among other employees. He says many are temporarily working there until they find another job, very high turnover rate.

I haven't shopped at Walmart for many years, it really feels good not to support such a corrupt organization.

Anyone else with me?

----low wages--

If I had to boycot stores based on their wage scale, I'd have no store to go to.

Sure as heck the " mom and pop" stores that posters idolize don't pay wages high enough to avoid the self imposed boycot.( using Walmart wages as the critertia )

Old 06-21-2010, 09:27 AM

43,858 posts, read 45,052,970 times
The policies/wages/how products are made.... of WalMart are no different any of the other stores who offer discounted merchandise. Not to shop there based on those things makes no sense. The only reason NOT to shop there is because you don't like the products they offer. Some people will and some people won't.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:22 AM

609 posts, read 1,110,866 times
i work there, of course i shop there.

and i get paid more there then any of the other retail jobs ive had. there are a lot of things to dislike about working there...the pay isnt a complaint at all to me.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:26 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,849,386 times
I don't work at Wal-Mart today, but I work at another big box store.

I considered leaving a few years back, and couldn't find anyone willing to pay me the same amount--much less more--than I was already getting paid. So I ended up not leaving. Those other stores couldn't pay me enough.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:03 PM

43,858 posts, read 45,052,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklez_304 View Post
i work there, of course i shop there.

and i get paid more there then any of the other retail jobs ive had. there are a lot of things to dislike about working there...the pay isnt a complaint at all to me.
I've had friends who worked at WalMart in various capacities. I have no idea why it is all over the net that the employees are mistreated and have a lower wage scale than any similar retail job. It is a lie that just keeps getting retold over and over again.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:18 PM

609 posts, read 1,110,866 times
many retail places also dont offer raises, i get a raise every year. the pay is decent for retail. i would say that management isnt the greatest, we've had a lot come and go and none of them ever seem to be on the same page...it seems to be getting better though, in my store at least. its nice to have them all functioning together. overall my biggest complaint about working there is the customers that come in and hate walmart lol. they come in with a bad attitude and wander saying aloud how much they hate the place. im not allowed to tell them target is right down the street and they could go spread their joy there....but i would if i could. lol

Old 06-21-2010, 12:22 PM

314 posts, read 370,645 times
i love walmart its alot cheaper there and besides loads of stores are involved with sweat shops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products