U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 PM

88 posts, read 223,996 times

Advertisements

What should I spend it on?

Which processor is better, Intel or AMD?

I heard Windows Vista is bad, is there a way I can get something better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 09:16 PM

577 posts, read 1,598,522 times
What are you going to be using the laptop for.. that makes a difference in what is best for you. Although I would never suggest Vista. Most come with Win 7 now and it's much improved IMO

Old 06-21-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine728 View Post
What are you going to be using the laptop for.. that makes a difference in what is best for you. Although I would never suggest Vista. Most come with Win 7 now and it's much improved IMO
I'm going to be using it for office work. In addition, I will use it for entertainment purposes (movies/music). When I watch movies on my computer now it drags/skips, I dont want that. I want a laptop with high memory. And I will surf the web, i'll be doing a lot of multi-tasking on my laptop, a lot of tabs open.

Hopefully things like Excel and Powerpoint will be included in my bundle this time.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:08 AM

Ok, let me let it easy:

Amazon.com: Gateway NV7915u Notebook PC (Black) - Intel Core…

OR

Amazon.com: HP G72-250US 17.3-Inch Laptop: Computer & Accessories

Old 06-27-2010, 06:08 PM

313 posts, read 772,682 times
I liked that Gateway too and considered buying it. After talking with my husband's buddy who is into all things computer, I am not. He said Gateway computers don't play nice- meaning software problems and other glitches. I have 2 friends who have them and yup, that is exactly what happened...

He did suggest Toshiba. He said to stay away from any T processors and AMD. AMD used to be great but have gone downhill. On the Toshiba the new Intel i3, i5 and i7 are great choices.

That is what I am going to get... saw the i3 on sale at Best Buy last week for like 699. It was a good deal... Since I don't need it right away, I am waiting for the i5 to go on sale... :-)

Check it out- it has lots of memory, great size hard drive and screen area. Have fun!

Old 07-03-2010, 07:00 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,677,950 times
You're showing 17" models. You do know these are heavy to cart around. If you want to be more mobile, get something with a 15ish screen like a HP/Compaq CQ61 or 62. You want it to be a core 2 or higher (core duo is lower). Now to keep yourself in budget you will need Office Student @ $150, Internet security at $70, tax/printer/accessories @ $200. So the top end on cost of the notebook is $580. Wait another six weeks for back to school ads as they usually include rebates.

As to your concerns most $399 and above notebooks come with a large hard drive, 3GB ram or higher and a pretty strong processor. In todays technology DVD based movies dont freeze up or jerk. The only way now for this to happen is usually your cable company cutting down your bandwith while watching a movie over the internet. Windows 7 is standard in current notebooks, just make sure it has Premium or Professional loaded.

Also be aware your old printer may not have current drivers available and some older software will be not compatable with Win7 which is why I included a printer earlier in my response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products