U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 08:05 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,243,430 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, please discuss your experiences (good or bad) at stores.

I have a friend who went to a relatively upscale store dressed simply (not badly dressed, she was just out of the gym) and the assistant barely looked at her and started pointing her to the shelves and prices.

She learned this lady worked on commission, and the following day went back all dressed up and purchased several items with another assistant, at the very same store. I was so glad to hear that.

I can understand some people ask a thousand questions and never buy anything, but isn't this part of the assistant's job anyway? Do they think every customer has to buy whatever amount of goods they think is enough, otherwise they don't bother?

Also, since when the way you are dressed determines how much you can afford?

I used to go to a well-known beauty products store but in some cities the service is terrible. You have to ask to be assisted as if they are doing you a huge favor. I switched brands. I am just one customer, but if I am going to shop somewhere the least I can get is good customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 05:59 PM

313 posts, read 773,297 times
I have to agree with you! Customer service has really slipped in a lot of establishments and those are the places I don't return to... Yes, it's that important to me.

I am not rich and how I choose to spend my money is important. If the customer service is bad then I do not feel that I am getting my money's worth, no matter where it is or how upscale they think they are.

I have written letters of complaint to stores if I receive unsatisfactory or bad treatment from one of their employees- along with the "taking my business elsewhere" phrase. However, I have also gratefully acknowledged terrific service and make sure I say that I appreciate it too! People want to know they have given great service and love to be acknowledged for it. Wouldn't you?

Maybe it's a sign of the times- everyone's in a hurry and many don't care about the customer. But, those are the places I don't stick with.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:09 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,243,430 times
I think you are right to say that praising is as important as complaining.

I have contacted managers several times to praise excellent service from employees, and I sincerely hope my honest comments have helped them as they were quite deserving. On the other hand, I will as easily complain about poor service as I think if one has a job one should value it or go work somewhere else.

If I am a respectful customer the least I can get is good service.

I won't shop where my business is not appreciated but I will very gladly return to places where my business is welcomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products