U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 12:53 PM

1,929 posts, read 5,750,159 times

Advertisements

Hi, do you think 45s and song books (vocal-guitar-piano) from Top 40 80s groups will ever be worth anything? I guess there are music stores that might take the 45s. The song books I have are artists like Def Leppard, Starship, Debbie Gibson, Roxette, Whitney Houston, Pearl Jam, R.E.M. I found some of them on ebay and they are not selling right now. Appreciate any advice. I'm willing to throw out the books but would a collector want them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 10:36 PM

24,379 posts, read 33,613,481 times
Salvation Army didn't even want mine. I gave them away to someone who is learning the guitar and loves 80s music.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:59 PM

70 posts, read 90,407 times
I'm not sure about worth, but I think you have a fun collection of music!

I think the condition of the item is important.

Do you have a 45 record player? If I were an interested buyer, I would want to know if the records play the songs great with no glitches.

Then it would depend if the covers are in nice condition or are they musty, torn or water damaged?

Are the records the original record release date or later remakes?

Simply a tagline like "All songs play great. Record covers nice condition!"

Same with the songbooks. Nice condition? Photos of the stars? Original first printing or later printing?

I can understand why thrift stores are hesitant to take records. You have no way of knowing how well the record will play without a record player. Yes, I've held some up to the light for inspection, but many have scratches and the condition is questionable.

Lynn

Old 07-13-2010, 01:36 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,503,637 times
Collectibles is the first niche to take a dive when the economy sours. If you're intent on trying to maximize their value, hang onto them until the economy recovers and see what you can get for them then. This advice applies to any type of collectible.

As for your records, you're not likely to get much, even in the best of times. The demand is very low for vinyl (although I saw some vinyl at Best Buy the other day! ) and any former top 40 stuff will be relatively plentiful, so it's just not likely that they'll ever have much value.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:47 AM

171 posts, read 394,816 times
Have you also checked Amazon?

I've sold songbooks on eBay recently. None of them went above $10 but since they were found outside in a box on trash day, I didn't mind. :-) These were 70s classic and 90s grunge though A few are no longer in print, so that likely helped them find buyers.

I have an ABBA songbook singed by all 4 members that I may list. My inner child wants to keep it though. :-)

You might try pairing them or making small lots--i.e. a Debbie Gibson songbook with one of her 45s, and a poster if you have it.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:49 AM

171 posts, read 394,816 times
Also, if you have tons of records that are not rare and likely never to sell, you might group them in lots and gear the auction towards crafters searching eBay for affordable supplies. Go search a site like Etsy to see some of the bowls and other items artists make with old vinyl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products