Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 01:06 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

I had to post this in the shopping and consumer section, because it's a prime example of how a business, actually a whole industry, does not care about consumers.

My sig. other had a foot/ankle injury, and the orthopedist decided to put him in a lower-leg cast for a few weeks. They were out of crutches but wrote him an Rx for crutches. Well, first surprise: no pharmacies around here carry crutches. Well, no chain pharmacies do. We did find a few mom & pop pharmacies that did carry them, but they were either out, or they only had extra-tall. All pharmacies said the same thing: "you need to go to a medical supply store."

Okay great. Medical supply store. Did an online search of medical supply stores in my town. One hit. Called them, and the number was disconnected. They closed down. Widened the search. Found a few listed in online "yellow page" directories, but NONE had a website. None. Is this the only industry that has not discovered that there's an internet?

Called the rest, and got messages that they were all closed. This was like 6pm. They're only open 9-5. Of course. He and I are both at work during those hours, like the rest of the world.

Oh, and most of the ones we did find are not in nice safe suburbs. No, they're in the inner-city in Trenton or Philly. Great fun.

He called the orthopedist again for advice on where on earth to get crutches. The doctor said "let me guess, you couldn't find any online or any that were open." Bingo.

So even doctors know about this problem. I am fortunate that I've never needed to find a medical supply store until now, and frankly, I hope I never have to again. I guess when people need medical supplies, they are at the mercy of the retailer. The retailers don't have to be accommodating or convenient, after all, customers NEED them. If you have some time, you could probably order the supplies online, if you find a retailer with a website; but when it comes to something like crutches, you really can't wait a few weeks for them to get delivered; you need them now.

Then after he was able to borrow crutches from a relative, after two days of hopping around on one foot, we had to go through all this again to find a waterproof cast protector. Guess what? They are only available from medical supply stores. I got to travel through lovely Trenton on my lunch break to get that.

We live in PA and work in NJ, and we are in hospital-dense areas. You'd think there'd be a few medical supply stores open until, oh, maybe 7pm. Nope. One retailer actually had a website, but he was 50 miles north of us, and also only open from 9-5.

What on earth do all you people do who have to care for a sick/handicapped family member? I know the person who is disabled doesn't work 9-5, but he/she isn't the one who has to go shopping for the medical supplies. It's the able-bodied person, who probably also has a job.

If anyone needs a great idea for a new business: open a medical supply store that is open till 9pm. Add in minimally decent customer service, and a website, and you'll be rich in no time. Oh, and don't locate yourself in a slum. There you go for a great business plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 04:48 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,137 times
I got my crutches from the hospital that did my knee surgery. I have bought a pair at Walmart, or was it Target, before though. I know the medical supply store here is only open until 5pm, but since I have been able to find everything they have at either Walmart or Target for cheaper, I guess I just don't worry about it.

Sorry to hear about your experience though.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:45 PM

Now if anyone had told me that Walmart or Target had that stuff, that would've been great. But all we heard was "you have to go to a medical supply store."

Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Now if anyone had told me that Walmart or Target had that stuff, that would've been great. But all we heard was "you have to go to a medical supply store."
Yeah, they might not have realized that Walmart carries them. I always check Walmart.com and target.com, usually because it is cheaper than anyplace else 9 times out of 10.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:01 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Google is your friend. I googled "where to buy crutches" when I needed them and found them at walgreens.com, walmart.com, kmart.com and amazon.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:23 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,158,897 times
Walgreens carries crutches as well.

Also, I was at a Goodwill store recently and they had a bin FULL of donated crutches for sale.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:49 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,434 times
CVS Pharmacy has them in their store (I think), but they have them online.

Buy CVS Aluminum Walking Crutches with Comfortable Underarm Pad & Handgrip online at CVS.com

If you're in a pinch, you can also try craigslist. A lot of people sell that stuff cheap.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:41 AM

Well, the injury is long past at this point. I still look from time to time in CVS and Target to see if they have crutches, and they are usually sold out or they only have super-short or super-tall. At the point when someone needs crutches, there usually isn't the luxury of time to order them online--you kind of need them immediately.

I have to say though, I would be hesitant to buy used crutches. There's something about using something that's been in a stranger's armpit that kind of grosses me out. Just sayin'.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:42 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I thni its more a caee of your area. Where i live most doctors roder them by telephoe and they are delivered that day like most medical supplies. I am surprise the doctor didn't know where to get them even if its thru a hosptial he is affilated with. Before medical supply stores opened that was were most such things were gotten.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:33 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
walgreens and walmart are where i get most things for my grandparents (papa had to get crutches just this past january)

also - i always post on my local freecycle group if its something that can maybe wait a day or two (long enough for someone to see the email, imo). its amazing what stuff people have laying around that they dont need and will give you (free!) if you just ask!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products