U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 05:25 PM

8,267 posts, read 18,723,616 times

Advertisements

Like those time share things in the eighties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 08:38 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,713,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Yes, we are members. We signed up in San Antonio, TX for $4200. We had a 6500 square foot home to furnish and knew we would be spending around $300,000 to furnish the home with window coverings, furniture, accessories, chandeliers, landscaping, etc., etc.

We bought our bedroom set, formal custom living room sofa and dining room set from Mathis Bros. in Indio. This cost over $30,000 for these items. AFTER we purchased these items, the new Direct Buy went in 10 minutes from our house!!! Had we waited, we could have bought these very same items for around $9,000.00. We have now purchased some other furniture from the new Direct Buy and it has worked out wonderfully.
This has now become a wonderful experience for us and a good investment. I read through all the complaints and things about Direct Buy on other websites AFTER we had already purchased our membership. I admit, I was thinking we had just been ripped off and that it was a scam. I honestly thought this until we had our own facility built 10 minutes from our house. Now I think it's the greatest thing in the world. I have to say, the people at our facility are extremely helpful and we have not had a bad experience there. Some of my friends are members at this facility as well and they are happy with it too.

TT,
It seems most of us don't spend $300,000 on our HOMES, much less the furnishings. So, you've put it in perspective for the rest of us peons. If you're spending that kind of money, 5k is nothing to you, but a significant amount to someone with a much lower budget. Glad you're happy, but I still think it's a scam.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
TT,
It seems most of us don't spend $300,000 on our HOMES, much less the furnishings. So, you've put it in perspective for the rest of us peons. If you're spending that kind of money, 5k is nothing to you, but a significant amount to someone with a much lower budget. Glad you're happy, but I still think it's a scam.
I've read so many varying opinions on this thread. It seems as though Direct Buy to so many of you is the second coming of Amway.

I am a member.

Many complain about high pressure sales and it being a one-time only opportunity. That is true.

However, many things that we seek to buy have high pressure associated with them. My advice would be if you do not have a mind of your own or can be easily coerced, then Direct Buy isn't for you. And, you should definitely have a friend or family member negotiate any vehicle purchases for you as well.

As for being a one-time only opportunity, if you know that up front, my advice would be not to check out Direct Buy unless you have several significant things to buy.

That doesn't mean your next big screen flat-panel TV (which can be purchase much better through NexTag - Compare Prices Before You Buy links by the way). It means a lot of carpeting, a kitchen-full of appliances, some furniture and maybe some speakers (Klipsch) ro that home theatre.

I have a relative that owns a carpet store in Indy. He does decent volume, and gives me cost + 10% on anything I order. I was able to upgrade my carpet to a much higher grade through Direct Buy and the cost ended up being marginally higher than what my relative was offering. Had I purchase identical carpet, the cost was going to be much less. I decided to take the free upgrade. Duh?

I was able to obtain a very large Berkline sectional for my theatre room (retail 4900) that was on sale (3100) at Kittles in Indy for under 1900.

I have done a lot of business at HH Gregg through the years, and have "preferred" status as a buyer, but they were not able to touch the price for replacing all of my kitchen appliances (two dishwashers, warming drawer, microwave, double oven, cooktop, vent for cooktop) with GE Profile.

We installed granite countertops at a signficant savings as well.

I will soon install Kipsch speakers that I can obtain at about 55% retail, much lower than anywhere online or through local stores such as Ovation or Best Buy.

To date, I would admit that I've spent a boatload of money on my house and its furnishings. But after less than 24 months, including what I consider a savings on my original carpet plans, I've saved about $8500 on my items after paying $4500 for a 4-year membership to Direct Buy. After the 4 years, I can purchase the right to permanent membership for another $1500.

I guess my point is that I really don't understand all the complaining. The infomercials give you pretty good info about DB. And, unless you've been hiding under a rock, you know exactly what you are in for when you walk through the door. As for the complaint that you have only a few minutes to reference prices... I say shame on you. Take more time and don't take no for an answer. Take as much time as you want... they want your money... they will give you time.

And the final thing that I would say is that if you are an appropriate candidate, meaning that you have several big things to buy, isn't it worth a couple hours of your time to check things out?

You are not 'brainwashed'. And, the power is always in your hands, not Direct Buy's. After all, is it not true that you can say "No" at any time?

Just make certain that you do not burn your one-time only opportunity unless you are ready to purchase several big-ticket items and you are able to afford the membership.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:59 PM

11,626 posts, read 20,787,535 times
And how long have you been employed by Direct Buy?

Old 01-04-2010, 05:28 PM

19,899 posts, read 16,143,987 times
I have done searches on them, just go to consumer complaints.com or fraud online.com and put in DIRECT BUY, you will be amaze at the complaints that come up. So So many. Me personally i would not know, but could you get a $1,000 COUCH FOR $395.00 AS I JUST HAVE at direct buy, curious. Yes at a fantastic sale that i could not pass up. It was a name brand. I don't do anything without researching, and getting the best deal that i can, i end up making a deal with the owners of a business or the manager, and now my own price. Just last weekend bought my Son a complete queen bedroom set, the whole package, queen bed, 2 nite stands, dresser, mirror and chest Unbelievable at $999.00 free shipping no tax, and delivery that was more then 2 hours away, now that is good service, and i will by buying my bedroom set from them. What is the most amount of money a member of DIRECT BUY has saved.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,651 times
Not a great deal unless you are really buying everything for a newly built house! They don't tell you it is $5000 until after 2 1/2 hours and then if you don't decide then and there to join you can't come back at any later date and do so. That's a small amount of time to decide to spend that kind of money. Also i did look at some of the pricing and it was the same or higher than online. Don't waste your time.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:57 PM

47 posts, read 73,999 times
My parents are members, joined in 2002ish before building a new house. They MAY have gotten a $2000 membership fee special, or they might have paid $5000, I don't remember. Either way, they got carpet, hardwood floors, lighting, appliances and all plumbing fixtures, and ceiling fans through direct buy and saved a lot of money over what they would have paid retail.

edit:: this was back when it was still UCC Total Home.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,259 times
The high pressure sales team is bad enough, but the service after the sale is even worse. We are totally remodeling a house, and were planning to buy most of our items from Direct Buy. We can't even get anyone to return a phone call or give us a quote on materials, even after we fax in requests on their form. Save your money - what a SCAM!!!!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:37 AM

1,999 posts, read 9,540,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I agree. The policy is off-putting, but we knew about it beforehand as we had friends who were already members who told us about that. They really should change their policy.

Yes, I was in sales for around 35 years and there are a number of things sold that they say now or never on. The 7 year policy, no, tho. Probably from their studies they found if someone did not join immediately they would never join, hence, a really obnoxious high pressure pitch..yuk.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:04 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,818,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
TT,
I know a couple in Pennsylvania who moved there from California, bringing next-to-nothing with them. He's in pro sports so they were able to buy a huge, very expensive house and had the money to furnish it sumptuously. They joined Direct Buy.

In their initial order of furniture (which they needed to live), every single piece arrived either damaged or switched out for something not exactly like what they ordered, with the excuse that the exact item was "sold out." They had a very hard time returning the items and eventually had to get help to get their membership fee returned, since after their bad first experience they had no intention of continuing to use the company. I don't think they would ever have gotten it (it is, after all, a contract), except for the fact that the member in question was by then a household name and Direct Buy feared the bad publicity of a lawsuit.

Maybe that's why Twinkle Toes gets such good service.

Also, just for the record, I spent two years recently selling furniture for a large retailer. In this market, most furniture is being sold FAR below what is known as the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price BY EVERYONE --sometimes more than 50% below. Despite that, many formerly successful chains are going out of business because -- even with those kinds of discounts available -- people just aren't buying. Almost every retailer is open to bargaining and price matching. So in this market, you would have to buy way upwards of $100,000 worth of goods to recoup a $5,000 investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products