U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:43 PM

513 posts, read 757,119 times

Advertisements

Directbuy called me last week and told me I entered a sweepstakes for a $50,000 home makeover; I told them BS; I asked her how could she say that when I never entered the sweepstakes in the first place; course she stammered ......<click>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 01:05 AM

40,074 posts, read 48,974,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I am so glad you told us that , Grasonville. Thank you. I am planning to move and I was going to get a lot of new furniture and that is a company I was planning to check out. Their commercials sound so intriguing. Well, what a great site that warns us against being scammed.

P.S. I just reread these posts !!!! Do they really get people to pay five-thousand dollars to join ???? OMG . What a terrible scam!!!!
Yes they do. Pull up their site and click on the registration form and you'll see that they want to charge your credit card $4995.00 for a membership before you can peruse their catalog.
And there really is no savings from them over your regular local stores. When you pay for shipping etal, you end up paying more than locally.

Watch the local sales, support your local store and community. You'll be happy, and so will the community.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:59 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,193,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMarley View Post
Ok..listen...many of these posts are really old but here goes.....
If you wanna join then join, yes they want to make money and have you join! Thats their profit margin..the membership! I worked there for years and know it all! They have price guarantees to ensure you get the best prices and it really a good concept. The whole "join now or forever hold your peace" thing is about this: If they show you examples, let you do research and really write down some numbers and or models...what if you dont join right then ...what should be the limit? three days? a week? a month? whats reasonable? How long should somebody invest time in a maybe...and honestly...you would lose steam and probably never go back. Its the same reason car dealerships try to get the sale that night! The same reason time shares try to get you to commit! Its a sales pitch and its meant to be that way. The people who get upset...you are probably mad because you may not be able to afford it...or perhaps you just dont like being told what to do...and basically you have to make a choice. Like one of the old managers used to say..."the choice is easy, join and buy at cost or dont join and be doomed to pay retail markup forever" I say that the intelligent mans bet is on joining...I did! and even after I stopped working there i still shopp for whatever i can get there...It saves me money and I ask questions...i dont just get pissed off cause everything wasnt handed to me on a platter. so take what you want from this!
Even if I was considering joining, I would have changed my mind based on your post. Any company that would hire someone with those communication skills is not one I would feel comfortable giving $5,000 to up front.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:04 PM

164 posts, read 740,665 times
I actually went to their sales presentation and sat through it. Silly me, I was figuring it was gonna be something like Sam's Club..... you know, $50-$100 a year or so.

I couldn't stop laughing when the guy quoted the membership fee...... not just a little snicker, but laughing almost uncontrollably...... I'm surprised I wasn't asked to leave......

Old 07-20-2011, 10:26 PM

4,499 posts, read 7,329,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineF View Post
I actually went to their sales presentation and sat through it. Silly me, I was figuring it was gonna be something like Sam's Club..... you know, $50-$100 a year or so.

I couldn't stop laughing when the guy quoted the membership fee...... not just a little snicker, but laughing almost uncontrollably...... I'm surprised I wasn't asked to leave......
That was pretty much our reaction: Do we laugh or cry?

Absurd. Apparently they have plenty of advertising dough. Not mine, though. A real screw job.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:06 PM

19,133 posts, read 19,978,923 times
Still seems like the cons outweigh the pros.

Google

Old 03-17-2012, 04:20 PM

4,499 posts, read 7,329,845 times
We got an invite to the DB store numerous years back.

Long story short, it was presented to us that part of the agreement/contract was we could not shop at a number of other stores.

Sorry, that's too much like a HOA. No interest in restrictive clauses.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:37 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,545,480 times
This looks like someone trying to get me to spend $10,000 for a solar system for hot water so I can save $6 a month. [138 years pay back]
I wonder if any Direct Buy members did a cost/savings analysis to find out how much money they had to spend, the savings realized to recoup their $5000

Old 03-26-2012, 07:54 PM

8,265 posts, read 18,719,452 times
wonder if any Direct Buy members did a cost/savings analysis to find out how much money they had to spend, the savings realized to recoup their $5000

If they did that, the entire operation would shut down.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-23-2012, 02:43 PM

2,800 posts, read 6,366,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
you are told that you have to make a decision on the spot. If you do not sign up right then and there you forfeit the ability to join for seven years

I have never heard of any business having a policy like this. Has anyone else?
Time shares do it all the time.

That's because they are in the business of selling memberships, not merchandise. One common complaint from members is there product line isn't computerized. if you want to find something you have to page through book after book. And sometimes when you do find something you want, you might be told we don't deal with that manufacturer any more. If it really was that good they let you go home and think about.

The lousy thing is I firmly believe something like this could work. If they were to drop there membership fee to say a couple of hundred dollars, reduce there fees when ordering, accept returns and computerize there product line, they could make more in the long run then 5k take it or leave it burn another sucker policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
It seems that anybody who has anything negative to say about Direct Buy are not members. You couldn't possibly be qualified to comment on something you really don't know anything about.
I've never set myself on fire either, but I can tell you that's that a good idea either. It's funny that most people that have a positive experience has 1 posting total and a Reputation of 10 or 12. It's funny I actually believed Twinkle Toes was a member not associated with Direct Buy in any way, but the posting above makes me think otherwise.

Last edited by TechGromit; 05-23-2012 at 03:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products