Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 04:14 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,652,632 times

Advertisements

My local B&N has a book I want -- their price is $25. However, Amazon wants $16 for the same book. It's been seven years since I've made a purchase from B&N, so I was wondering, if I ask them to match an Amazon.com price will they do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 04:25 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,955,142 times
May depend on your local B&N but in my experience the answer has been no. I tried once at my local B&N and they said but I should sign up for a B&N membership to get discounts. So Amazon.com it still is for me:P

Old 04-08-2013, 05:44 PM

How does B&N remain in business?

Old 04-08-2013, 11:01 PM

563 posts, read 1,269,912 times
It's amazing to me how Barnes and Noble lasted longer than Borders.

While I certainly had a love/hate relationship with Borders, they at least had better coupons more often and had what I felt was a better book and magazine catalog.

Barnes and Noble I think have lasted longer with something I call the Target Effect. They really aren't any better than their competition, but have a prettier decor and better layout than their competition, so people think they are getting more for their money or getting the "experience". Once people figure out how to look past that glitz to the true value of what they are paying for, B&N will truly be done.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:02 AM

In Santa Monica they took away the chairs, and a year ago I heard an announcement on the PA asking patrons not to sit on the floor.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:13 PM

491 posts, read 1,170,312 times
I was in that Santa Monica B&N maybe 5 years ago. I think they want to keep the "unwashed" out. I had never before gone into a B&N or Borders that barred you from using a restroom unless you made a purchase. On one hand, I dislike seeing people in there for hours flipping through magazines and books, treating it as a library, but if I'm in there to get a book on, say, knitting or golf, I'm expecting that I'm going to be looking at every one in those areas to find the one I want to buy, and I also expect to be able to sit on a bench at least.

(There was a woman in the public restrooms in the parking garage complex nearby who was a little "off," so I guess B&N's policy was a proactive one, but maybe a little too much.)

My longtime gripe with B&N: They stack magazines overlaying each other so close that you can't see the titles on any of the higher shelves. I'm not tall, so they're just inaccessible. I can't even ask a worker to reach one cuz I can't see what I might want. Borders never had this issue.

Now, on the topic at hand: I don't think there's a reason B&N would match Amazon's price. B&N offers you something Amazon can't: The ability to have the book in your hands immediately. For some people, that's worth the difference in price.

Have you tried ebay and Edward R. Hamilton Bookseller online? And used book stores? (Usually the latter have a couple of bookcases of newer books that people took in for trade credit, in case you're after a new release).

Old 04-10-2013, 01:06 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by persnicketygal View Post
Now, on the topic at hand: I don't think there's a reason B&N would match Amazon's price. B&N offers you something Amazon can't: The ability to have the book in your hands immediately. For some people, that's worth the difference in price.
What's weird is B&N doesn't match their OWN online price!! I can see paying a little bit more to run down to the store and pick up a book -- a brick and mortar store has more overhead than a warehouse, yeah, I get it. BUT, B&N charged almost 2X the price for a book that I needed -- it was $29 at their online site, and $55 in the store. Yikes!!!!

Old 04-10-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
What's weird is B&N doesn't match their OWN online price!! I can see paying a little bit more to run down to the store and pick up a book -- a brick and mortar store has more overhead than a warehouse, yeah, I get it. BUT, B&N charged almost 2X the price for a book that I needed -- it was $29 at their online site, and $55 in the store. Yikes!!!!
Good grief. I cannot imagine myself paying that difference just to get it instantly.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:35 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Good grief. I cannot imagine myself paying that difference just to get it instantly.
I know, I know. But it was a software book with a DVD that I wanted for a class. It wasn't required, but I needed help!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I know, I know. But it was a software book with a DVD that I wanted for a class. It wasn't required, but I needed help!
What was the book's topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products