U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 03:15 PM

279 posts, read 1,731,384 times

Advertisements

I just watched their informercial and I am curious what the pros and cons are of being a member. Is it too good to be true?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 04:21 PM

19,122 posts, read 19,976,119 times
Suggest you search Google. Put in Direct Buy Complaints in the search field. Not worth it in my opinion.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 22,097 times
Yes I am a member and I love it!
I am not going to tell you what to do as so many people on-line would, but to go and look for yourself, and bring pricing an model #'s for things you are going to buy.

I will tell you that electronics aren't that much of a mark-up, but you would be shocked at how much you can save, if you use them.

My wife used to be a buyer for a high end outdoor store, like if you were going to Africa or Antartica for a trek kind of place. We didn't even know each other then and when I took her there for the first time she was thrilled. She has had experience in manufacturer catalogs, and knows just how much that stuff is marked up from where she used to work.

I used to be a manager for a Furniture store and it's insane how much those people rob you blind. I currently work for a de-icer distributor, and to give you an example... we pay $3.50 per bag from our bagging manufacturer, we charge our dealers $7.50 a bag, they charge their clients (store and contractors) $11 to $14 a bag, and I have seen it in a hardware store for $20 to $22 a bag (50 lb bags). Granted Direct Buy doesn't sell high end environmentally friendly non-corrosive de-icers, but it's a specific example of middlemanning so to speak.

The crib we are going to buy in a few months is close to $800 bucks in a store (I don't buy crap) and we are picking it up from Direct Buy for $360, plus I think it was $65 in shipping and handling, so close to half of the store price.

I have said this once before, actually today, if you don't join, and you need some big ticket items, you deserve to pay too much.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:36 AM

969 posts, read 2,543,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper1234 View Post
Yes I am a member and I love it!
You must work for those skammers - NO ONE really saves money there:

INFOMERCIAL SCAMS.COM - DIRECT BUY COMPLAINTS

Old 10-04-2007, 09:59 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,578,694 times
Thanks for sharing the link Grasonville. They are really pushing the commercials down here and several of us have wondered if it would be worth joining. It sounds like a high pressure timeshare selling technique. I HATE that. It also sounds like the service is poor. My cousin was going to one of those appointments; I'm going to let her know about your link. Anytime there is a business that will not let you compare prices, insists on both spouses attending a sales pitch, and does a now or never ultimatum sales pitch doesn't deserve my time. There is a nice discount wearhouse in Grey, LA and there is no giving them our hard earned money for the privilage of spending our hard earned money there.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:07 AM

43 posts, read 168,004 times
I have heard that it's a huge scam. I would do a lot of research before I joined anything like that.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:17 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,278,136 times
It is a $5,000 membership fee. Need I say more??? My husband and I went for the "meeting" because we were curious.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 12,091 times
What a shame people are paying that much to save in just home furnishings. I have been associated with a company for seven years. We save in many industries; we just added home furnishings and our factory direct prices beat direct buy. It cost's half of what direct buy charges, you only pay once, no more fees and five generations of your family get to utilize all of the savings too for the rest of their life with no fee to them or you. To top it off, there is an optional income side.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:07 AM

144 posts, read 768,265 times
If it's too good to be true..it is. It's nothing but a scam. Who in their right mind would $5K to be a member of anything? Not me. And I don't buy crap either.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:54 PM

8,264 posts, read 18,718,318 times
I am so glad you told us that , Grasonville. Thank you. I am planning to move and I was going to get a lot of new furniture and that is a company I was planning to check out. Their commercials sound so intriguing. Well, what a great site that warns us against being scammed.

P.S. I just reread these posts !!!! Do they really get people to pay five-thousand dollars to join ???? OMG . What a terrible scam!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products