U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:04 AM

2,871 posts, read 10,033,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Living is a car-dependent state, I have wondered, how do you get weekly groceries?
Living in a car-enslaved state is a personal choice. It also lacks imagination. My choice is to be free. I get my groceries delivered right to my door from Vons.com -- sometimes for free if I take advantage of promotions. For the basic charge of $4.95, they shop for me, bag it, deliver it, carry the items into my kitchen, and give me a great big smile and thank you. Sometimes I even get same-day delivery. With this kind of service, why would I drive myself, slog through traffic, fight for parking, trudge up and down the isles with other trudgres, stand in line, heft the items into a car, slog home through traffic again, and heft the items into my house? Oh, and all of this requires one more trip to the gas station, and an oil change and service that much sooner. So how, in this case, is my life better by having a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 12:31 PM

702 posts, read 2,914,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Living in a car-enslaved state is a personal choice. It also lacks imagination. My choice is to be free. I get my groceries delivered right to my door from Vons.com -- sometimes for free if I take advantage of promotions. For the basic charge of $4.95, they shop for me, bag it, deliver it, carry the items into my kitchen, and give me a great big smile and thank you. Sometimes I even get same-day delivery. With this kind of service, why would I drive myself, slog through traffic, fight for parking, trudge up and down the isles with other trudgres, stand in line, heft the items into a car, slog home through traffic again, and heft the items into my house? Oh, and all of this requires one more trip to the gas station, and an oil change and service that much sooner. So how, in this case, is my life better by having a car?
Tried Vons.com and they have a very limited delivery area. They don't deliver to 85614 at all.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Maybe NetGrocer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Tried Vons.com and they have a very limited delivery area. They don't deliver to 85614 at all.
I've never used them, but perhaps NetGrocer will deliver to your zip.

Netgrocer - Online Groceries and more, delivered straight to your door!

Old 07-24-2007, 05:17 PM

Netgrocer turned out to be very expensive. Deliveries by FedEx.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Netgrocer turned out to be very expensive. Deliveries by FedEx.
Eh, what luck, huh? Might have to move closer to civilization.

What's the distance to your nearest grocery store?

Old 07-24-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Eh, what luck, huh? Might have to move closer to civilization.

What's the distance to your nearest grocery store?
It is a 3 mile trip to the nearest grocery store.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:57 PM

18 posts, read 49,641 times
Smuckers PB & J / cheese sandwiches - in the frozen section- LAZY !
Bite size granola bars- LAZY ! or any other bite size snack for that matter.
The list at the grocery store could go on and on.
I think the worst thing I ever saw though was water packaged in bowls for traveling with your dog.

By the way - my favorite yard tool is my 5 horse power leaf blower and my hand held gas blower- 3.6 acres , surrounded by woods, only takes a few hours to do compared to a few days with a rake. And it is not a lazy persons tool- that would really be hiring someone else to do it for you.................

Oh by the way HELLO to all !

Old 07-27-2007, 03:13 PM

131 posts, read 612,926 times
Quote:
This sounds lazier to me than actually driving to the store.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:16 PM

52,161 posts, read 30,224,159 times
I saw this on the History Channel last week, it was the program called Modern Marvels and the "toys" men keep in the garage. One of the items is a remote control lawn mower. For demonstration they showed this young guy about 30 years of age sitting on a lawn chair reading a magazine, with a remote for the mower that was going around his yard! It's a nice toy to have if you're an elderly man or a woman and can afford to pay a lot more than the average lawn mower for it. I forgot how much they said it was, but it was over $1,500!

I live in Phoenix and most of us have the desert landscape in our yards (no grass) but if I had a lawn, as long as I can walk and push a mower, I'd much rather push the mower when it's 110 degrees in July, than spend too much money on a remote control mower!

Old 07-27-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untuchableface View Post
This sounds lazier to me than actually driving to the store.
Amazing, isn't it, how not having a car actually became lazier than having one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products