U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2007, 05:35 PM
 
2,833 posts, read 9,858,793 times
Reputation: 1658

Advertisements

My 81 year old Dad is in the hospital right now for 2 weeks, I have seen a lot in 2 weeks, and none of it is good, and none can be blamed on lifestyle at that point.
I just feel like I'm going to crack from what I have seen in the last 2 weeks. I keep thinking of my AA freind saying "You have to FEEL feelings". Well, I don't want to feel them anymore, at least for right now. NOTHING in the way of a good feeling has passed my way in a very long time. I iwsh there was a pill for that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2007, 05:38 PM
 
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
1,930 posts, read 9,530,900 times
Reputation: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Like a car (Lexus) that automatically parks itself. Gee...So lazy and filled up with McDonalds grease burgers and fries, they're too lazy to turn a steering wheel. Now that is lazy.
I know a lot of Americans are pretty lazy, but there are plenty of people from other countries that are lazy as well! Only Americans buy nice cars with cool new technology and eat fast food?? lol! Speaking of McDonalds though, and I know it's really off topic, but I think it's so funny when people will get a big, greasy burger and then a diet coke! What is the point in that?! lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2007, 07:03 PM
 
2,833 posts, read 9,858,793 times
Reputation: 1658
I always drink diet or water. The sugar is just way tooooo much in a regular soda. It makes me sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2007, 09:50 PM
 
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
1,930 posts, read 9,530,900 times
Reputation: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I always drink diet or water. The sugar is just way tooooo much in a regular soda. It makes me sick.
I have a few friends that started drinking diet soda, for whatever reason (normally because they were dieting), and now they just can't stand regular soda! I can't stand diet, but I can see how people wouldn't like regular soda after getting use to and liking diet soda. The extra sugar would have to taste horrible! lol! I try not to drink much soda anyway, I'm more of a water and tea person myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2007, 01:04 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 90,202,076 times
Reputation: 29487
Regular soda tastes like I'm drinking syrup. That said, there are some abysmal diet sodas out there too that taste like, I dunno, industrial sludge thinned with water or something. But while there are several diet sodas I can drink, there are zero "regular" sodas I can tolerate, except for a couple of niche-market "gourmet" sodas made with cane sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2007, 02:31 AM
 
Location: Coachella Valley, California
15,566 posts, read 36,938,586 times
Reputation: 13202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Or sometimes.... your back just gives out. It doesn't only happen to the sedentary. It happened to my wife when she was in her early 20s and relatively fit at the time. She has not been the same since. The patronizing implication that it MUST BE your fault if your back gives out because you're not active enough made me so angry that I had to refrain from responding. I'm glad you did it in the level-headed way that I was not able to.
So, why don't you just take off the gloves and let me have it then??? Just do it. It's not like it hasn't been done before. I make a silly comment about a straw, of all things, and everyone comes out of their tree! There's a reason I stopped coming to this forum. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm tempted to come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2007, 02:52 AM
 
Location: Tuxedo Park, NY
419 posts, read 2,072,095 times
Reputation: 260
I don't think the auto-parking Lexus has anything to do with people being too lazy to turn a wheel. It's not like anyone's setting the thing up, then kicking back with their newspaper and waiting for the car to park. It's more for people who have difficulty of apprehension about parallel parking. Now granted, if you're getting this option, you probably live an area where you parallel park a lot, and you should be a master at it by now anyways, right? Well, not necessarily; I've been parallel parking my entire life when I go to the city, and still, I get nervous. The auto-park system takes all that away, and lets you relax, while the system takes over making it impossible to bump into other cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2007, 04:03 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 90,202,076 times
Reputation: 29487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
So, why don't you just take off the gloves and let me have it then??? Just do it. It's not like it hasn't been done before. I make a silly comment about a straw, of all things, and everyone comes out of their tree! There's a reason I stopped coming to this forum. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm tempted to come back.
And stay out.

The reason I didn't is because I knew you didn't intend any offense so it wouldn't make much sense to respond in a defensive manner. At least I didn't think you meant any offense. Now I'm not so sure. So... bye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2007, 04:11 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 90,202,076 times
Reputation: 29487
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post
I don't think the auto-parking Lexus has anything to do with people being too lazy to turn a wheel. It's not like anyone's setting the thing up, then kicking back with their newspaper and waiting for the car to park. It's more for people who have difficulty of apprehension about parallel parking. Now granted, if you're getting this option, you probably live an area where you parallel park a lot, and you should be a master at it by now anyways, right? Well, not necessarily; I've been parallel parking my entire life when I go to the city, and still, I get nervous. The auto-park system takes all that away, and lets you relax, while the system takes over making it impossible to bump into other cars.
I don't see this as lazy but I don't see it as being particularly useful either. I'm a master parallel parker myself, but it doesn't matter anyway because too many people in this city are not, so my bumpers are all scraped up anyway.

This is more of a "gee whiz, look what we can do with technology" kind of thing for Lexus... and maybe what they're really doing is taking the lessons learned from this application and applying it to other possible uses, like maybe active collision avoidance. Other manufacturers already have one facet of collision avoidance that partially (or I believe wholly in some cases) applies the brakes in an imminent collision. Now imagine adding to that the ability to actively steer around objects as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2007, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Coachella Valley, California
15,566 posts, read 36,938,586 times
Reputation: 13202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And stay out.

The reason I didn't is because I knew you didn't intend any offense so it wouldn't make much sense to respond in a defensive manner. At least I didn't think you meant any offense. Now I'm not so sure. So... bye.
No, I didn't mean to offend, but I guess you can't say "Boo" anymore without people getting their panties in a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:41 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top