U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 11:24 PM

1,440 posts, read 3,781,075 times

Advertisements

.....me....Don't burn my crust though! I make my pizzas at home from scratch and haven't ordered delivery in probably twenty years. (yes, I did tip then if that will redeem me at all)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 10:57 PM

468 posts, read 1,525,122 times
I give around 20%. I don't know, I think it's only common courtesy if you're having something delivered, even if there might be a $1 fee added on already.

Old 04-19-2008, 07:52 PM

11,605 posts, read 20,760,242 times
The local delivery companies (all the national brands) have a fee charged - but I always give to the "even" number...2-3 something if that makes sense?)

Old 07-30-2008, 01:18 AM

2 posts, read 6,537 times
Default Hi

Delivering pizza without the use of a company car is basically a contracted job. The gov't does give contracted drivers some breaks on taxes by allowing the write off of all miles driven (there are rules to how you can write miles off).

Most drivers who work in the suburbs or urban areas for a busy location (avg 15-20 runs a night) can put on over 100 mile easiy, some even more.

The compensation drivers get from the company does nothing more than cover the cost the driver eats up driving your pizza to your house or apartment.

Cars break down - at some point they have too.... no one can truely calculate the exact amount of wear and tear you put on a vehicle while driving around town...stop and go, lots of turning and up and down driveways and dirt roads can murder a car..... My guesstimate on how much it costs to drive your own car just delivering pizzas would be about $200 a month.... (based on my junk car i use to deliver pizzas) a $2,000 car last me about 10 months worth or work miles driven (20,000-25,000 miles).

The company DOES NOT pay for break downs or repairs of any kind...

Please continue tipping your driver... It's not about how much drivers make or don't make it's about the convience factor for you, the customer.

If you don't tip the driver you're basically stating you have no apprication that somebody is willing to drive food straight to your door using their own car.

Thanks for listening.

PS. I do always tip big when I order pizza or go out to eat...

Old 07-30-2008, 01:48 AM

2 posts, read 6,537 times
Can anyone really imagine a world where you couldn't call up a dominoes or pizza hut when you realize you have nothing for supper, or it is too hot to cook, or you are just too lazy to run out and get food than prepare it??? Most drivers I know won't really work for less than $15 an hour....if they find they make less they start quitting....
If the pizza chain had to charge the customer to pay their employees what "they" feel they are worth pizzas would double or triple in price and food quality would be poor... Ordering pizza isn't something that is neccessary in the first place....So tipping should always be part of the fun of ordering pizza or going to a resturant.

I personally have never done anything to anybodys pizza, but willfully wish the pizza got cold before I got to your location, if I knew you were a non-tipper. But yes, keep that in mind when at a resturant or fast food...do you really want to pi$$ off the person who has access to your food without you seeing behind the scenes??? Most people have a code of ethics..."the golden rule" but reason should tell you that getting your server or driver upset is just not smart...

Old 07-30-2008, 01:50 AM

40,067 posts, read 48,949,086 times
We tip our pizza delivery guy $5.00. He only has to go 3 miles and it's always a small pizza. Is that fair?
If we have a party and order 4-5 pizzas, we usually tip $20.00 for the extra pizzas delivered.
Is that about right?

Old 07-31-2008, 11:13 AM

681 posts, read 2,601,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I live in Orlando and have been a delivery driver for a pizza place for a while......I have frustrations with alot of people that do not understand that tipping a pizza driver is considered the"right thing to do"....and it shows appreciation that you are greatfull of his services......

We bring food to your work or to your house so you don't have to waist your time or gas driving to our store to order.....

Personally I love this job ...its not the toughest thing in the world but alot of people who havent done it before have a real deception of all that goes on while we are working to get you your meal.....the following is some info that i really think needs to be shared with a portion of the public..(non-tippers)

1) We make less than minimum wage an hour, so we really live off of our tips.....alot of people know this but there are those who act like we get 8 - 9 dollars an hour.

2) We use our own vehicle...its not like our company pays for repairs or like i have an extra car to drive in outside of work...i drive my pizza delivery car for work and home duties.......

3) I dont just take food from a store to a location and thats it........i have many other duties in which i get payed less than the minimum wage for.....i clean dishes, take garbage out, clean the restroom, take peoples' orders on the phone and in the carryout (which is frustrating sometimes).., i take deliveries to places far from the store knowing that the people arent going to tip me when i know that specific customers habits, I also clean the store before i go home which involves about 35 minutes to an hour of labor everynight, and i help make pizzas and prepare the food when it comes out of the oven then i replenish the food that needs to be refilled throughout the night.....

I have more but i will stop with this one

4) The driver gets treated like he is the one who took your order and had the bad attitude when you were talking to him/her(it isnt bad attitude when we ask a customer to repeat things..but the customer gets the attitude for having to repeat it and then the driver gets the backlash from it) .....the customer thinks its "all" the drivers fault that an order is late......this is not true in most cases.....i usually treat the customer on the phone better than an insider would because i have to see the customer face to face and i wanna work to get a good tip....so bad service on the phone usually doesnt come from the driver that takes your call and we will usually give a better estimate of how long it takes for your delivery to get there....the insider only tells you 30-45 minutes becaue they read a computer screen that tells them to say that.....
It isnt our fault that the order is late in most cases....stores keep track of their delivery times and the boss gets a bonus if it is kept at a certain time therefore the system will give out unrealistic times for when the delivery will make it to your door.....i have come back from a delivery and i come into the store and its really busy right?....then my boss tells me to take 3 orders and the first 2 were called in by the customer about 35 minutes ago.....well i just got back to the store and the deliveries i am taking are both far away ....about 15 minute drive but i only have 10 minutes to get there before they are late ....plus i have another delivery that is not so late but it will be hard to get there on time after dropping the first 2 that are going to be late....this is not my fault it is the system of the pizza store and the times they give out to let you think you will have good service....we try our hardest to get it there....

Sorry that was so long but can anyone tell me your reasons for not tipping the pizza driver?....be honest if its a racial thing too......or if it is just something you didnt know was so important to the driver.....Thank You
I used to be a pizza delivery driver and I can assure everyone here that what this guy is saying is dead-on accurate. Sometimes when people wouldn't tip me or give me a good tip, I would ask if I could have more and explain the situation to them. I cannot remember a time when that didn't net me a larger tip. If the customers don't understand that you get paid less than minimum wage, you have to pay for your own gas and car maintenance, and you basically subsist on their tips... educate them, so that they will know in the future!!

Make sure that they know that vehicle maintenance is on top of the outrageously expensive gasoline... and, make sure that they know that the "delivery fee" is never enough to cover the expense of the trip. I burned a brand-new starter in one summer, doing pizza deliveries. Starting a V8 engine 40 times per day, 5-6 days per week, for many weeks, will do that to a starter. Some pizza places now charge an extra buck for delivery and customers believe that they are paying the delivery guy enough from the delivery fee... yeah... a dollar doesn't even cover the gas, much less the wear and tear on your car.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:13 PM

763 posts, read 2,052,522 times
And while it's true that some drivers make good money, those are simply the ones that "get it" and hustle extra. Most drivers don't make it very long, the ones who do, don't stiff them just because you think they're making too much. The reason they're making so much is because they're good, therefore you get better service.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:56 PM

11,605 posts, read 20,760,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
We tip our pizza delivery guy $5.00. He only has to go 3 miles and it's always a small pizza. Is that fair?
If we have a party and order 4-5 pizzas, we usually tip $20.00 for the extra pizzas delivered.
Is that about right?
Your pizza company must LOVE you, that's a pretty high tip IMO.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:14 PM

2,766 posts, read 6,564,552 times
I agree that tipping the pizza driver is a good gesture, but what I don't like is when you tip certain drivers and they act like your tip is a slap in the face. Some people only have just enough for the pizza and maybe a couple of bucks to tip, and if they could spare more they would but they can't. When a driver has acted like my tip wasn't enough I pretty much tell them they can give it back to me if they'd like, I'm not going to be put on a guilt trip over a tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products